1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Static pop/clicking sound

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Valentino25, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Hey guys, im new to this forum. Sorry for the bad grammar. (Im from The Netherlands)
    My name is Valentino and i have a problem with my Minix U1 that i have bought 2 weeks ago.

I love the little thing but im experiencing an irritating static click/pop sound in all of my speakers. I have tried everything but have don't solved the problem yet.

I have plugged in a Minix X5 Mini from a friend to hear if the click/pop sound is still there, but no. It's not. It is only in mine.

I turned off my reciever and playback the audio on my tv and still is the static pop there, so it's not the reciever.

I don't know what to do, it's driving me crazy. Exspecaly with movies. Do i need to reset the U1 to fabric settings to get rid of this? mayby there are more people that have this problem and solved it?

Thanks by regards!

Valentino
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

Hi, never heard about clicking sound... are you at the latest fw (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/first-steps-with-the-u1.12566/) ?
    Maybe a factory reset can fix it... if not, then I would do a reflash via PC...
    (btw: but you haven't also tested the U1 at the TV from the friend?)

EDIT:
    Better test it without connected AVR
  3. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Hi, newbie99.
    Thanks for the fast reply to my question!

I have updated my U1 to the latest FW when i got it with the OTA app so that is up to date.

I don't have tested the unit at my friends house tho.. but when i don't hear the static tick sound on his Minix, it's def only in mine i guess. I can hear it over the reciever & TV speakers. Have tried different HDMI cables, no result.
    Checked my Optical cable, tried a different one, also with no result, still the ticking sound.

What do you mean with AVR? :)
    My setup is:
    Minix U1 -> HDMI -> TV -> Optical kable -> Sony Reciever.

I don't wanna do a complete reset but i have no choise i guess.. this is making me crazy :p
    It's a random tick sound when playing audio. You don't hear it when there is no audio playing (for god sake lol).

Thanks!
  4. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

AVR - Audio/Video Receiver
  5. newbie99

So it means you use ARC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#ARC) ?
    And you use the same setup with the X5 and have no static tick sound (at TV AND AVR)?
  6. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

Assuming your Sony Receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs, then the correct path for your connections should be.

Minix U1 -> HDMI -> TV
    Minix U1 -> Optical Cable -> Sony Receiver

Making sure you have audio output set to SPDIF in the U1 settings.
    Valentino25 likes this.
  7. newbie99

maybe or maybe not... I ask because there are some problems with HDMI (v1.3 vers. v2.x) but at the past only at some older Philips TV and only at video...
  8. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Yes, i guess i use ARC, sorry i am such a newbie at this stuff haha.

I have my Optical cable in the TV Optical Out to my Sony Reciever right now!

Going to try putting it in the Minix itself directly to the reciever! mayby the Optical & HDMI are interfering because they are both in the tv? don't know! thanks, something new to try out!
  9. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Don't tought of that kind of setup! going to try that out!

I have a pretty new Samsung Full HD 47 inch LED tv btw :)

Thanks!
  10. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

I have tried the setup from Johno102

Minix U1 -> HDMI -> TV
    Minix U1 -> Optical Cable -> Sony Receiver

Still the random static tick sound when playing audio.. argg. I was checking my Optical cable again and it is bend... i have such little space behind my tv (it's on the wall mounted) that the cable is become to bend at the end... can that be the problem? that static noise was also coming out of nowhere.. mayby the cable is just at his end because of the bend?

This is so weird, nobody has this issue.
  11. newbie99

I don't think so because you wrote you also have it at the TV if you disconnect the ARV (or do you only switched it off?)...

btw: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/arc-dts-displaying-as-lpcm.13438/ (doesn't help at your situation but maybe you will find some useful information)
  12. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

I only switched it off. I am going to buy a new Optical cable to see if that was the problem.
    The cable don't look good... you can almost see the cable inside.

When that is not the problem, i am going for a factory reset i think... thanks for the link tho!

Attached Files:

13. newbie99

14. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Update;

Have bought a brand new optical cable, plugged it in. Still that static tick sound when playing audio.. im getting very pissed now.

Have done a fabric reset, guess what. Still the f#cking tick sound in audio... i don't know anymore what to do.... i almost regret buying this thing, it drives me nuts.
  15. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

Can you confirm your Sony receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs?
    Valentino25 likes this.
  16. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

It is a Sony STR-DE485E

Pretty old one, so no HDMI ports. Only a optical input and the old tulp inputs, don't know the name of that kind of inputs.

I guess i need a better reciever then, so i can plug my Minix with HDMI into the reciever..
  17. Johno102

Johno102 Active Member

One other thought, have you tried

Minix U1 -> HDMI -> TV
    (Remembering to change the U1 audio to HDMI)

Do you still get the sound problem from TV speakers?
  18. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

I have tried it but with the same result :(
    Tick........tick..tick............tick.

One thing forget to mention tho, my Minix is right above my internet/tv router. Does that matter? its not right on top but very close to it. (interfering?)

Thanks for the thoughts!
  19. silvapa

silvapa New Member

I have the same problem. It is pretty anoying ...

Minix U1 -> HDMI -> TV
    Minix U1 -> Optical Cable -> Marantz Receiver
  20. Valentino25

Valentino25 New Member

Hi, Silvapa!
    Really?! sorry but glad to read that, so i am not the only one with this problem!

What have you done to try to fix this issue? i have done everything i can but don't fixed it yet.

I also mentioned this problem in de Bug section of the Forum.

Valentino