1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming to several devices

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by babuja, Jul 2, 2018.

1. babuja

babuja New Member

Hi guys,

I've been searching for a solution for a fanless media center installed on my living room but with capacity to stream over wifi to other devices (TV, tablets, smart phones).

I've been reading about neo U1 (because of the bluethooot for connection gamepad) and not sure if it only streams to x1 TV using HDMI connect or it can stream to several devices and over wifi.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

The MINIX U1 is a device that you stream TO, not stream FROM. You need to buy a NAS and place it on your network. Connect that via LAN cable directly to the router, set a static IP address for the NAS and then point all devices to the folders on your NAS network drive.

Job done.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

3. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

What you want to do is probably not that common with many minix users...suggest you google for android media servers and take it from there

4. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

That's called a NAS or network attached storage. It's a fully dedicated streaming hardware solution. It doesn't need to be android either.

5. Marty

Marty Moderator Moderator

6. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

" once connected to your home network and loaded up with your favorite music and movies, can be configured to stream content around your home to compatible devices."

What that means is you rely on the storage of your Android device ie your TV box or you attach an external USB HD to provide the storage of extra files.

That becomes a NAS and a very crappy inefficient one at that. I have a TP-Link Archer VR2800 fibre router with extremely good WiFi connectivity and performance. Connecting a dedicated NAS to a dedicated Router, you have an unbeatable perfect streaming service for multiple devices at a time. Using a MINIX or equivalent, is going to struggle to deliver the performance you want.

End of. Don't waste your time and money

7. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

of course what your proposing is the prefered solution if you have your media files available locally on a NAS

8. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Not really, a MINIX or any other TV Boxes would struggle to distribute and stream HD content to more than one device. That's not a solution, that's a problem.

Spending £100? On a MINIX NEO U1 is through good money at the wrong solution to his requirements originally asked by the ONE.

If you want a cheap media server you can buy the Raspberry Pi 3, but again, it will suffer from the same issues. Spend money on the right hardware and you won't regret it. Save up your money. Don't throw it away on something that's not fit for the job in the first place.

Look at 2 Bay NAS and buy just 1 4tb hard drive. Then buy another to expand your storage when you have more money.

I've seen so many people on the Nvidia Shield TV forums that use Plex Server which is the same thing but in software. After a while, the Nvidia Shield TV slows down and people have to wipe the drive and start again. That's just ridiculous. And that's with the fastest Android TV Box out. Plex Server is software and that's exactly what you will either use or something else like it. But a lower spec device just won't deliver the performance and service your looking for.