1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

STUPID MISTAKE - Wrong AC Adapter into Neo X7

Discussion in 'NEO X7' started by bananafarm, Sep 1, 2015.

1. bananafarm

bananafarm New Member

Hi everyone, I think I made a silly mistake yesterday. Without getting into the long details of the back story, I plugged the wrong AC wall adapter into my Minix Neo X7. The proper adapter is 5v 3A, and I plugged in an adapter from another device that was 12v 2.0A. Now my X7 won't turn on! No light, no signal, nothing. Did I permanently destroy this unit?

I took it apart (pulled the case apart) and noticed a hardwired fuse (I think) with markings SF 3.15A right beside the 5v input plug for the AC adapter. The fuse is still good (multimeter says it's still continuous), and when plugged in I still get a 5v reading on both sides of the fuse. Has anyone every heard of this silly powersupply swap that I did? Is this repairable?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

The voltage destroyed the chips (the fuse is for amps).. 99.9% chance it fried the chips :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk

3. bananafarm

bananafarm New Member

That is what I was afraid of. Should I try anything at all, or just toss it?

4. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

I cant think of anything you can do sadly:(.. When the fuse is ok the voltage fried the chips... Evwn if the fuse is broken the peak voltage on the circuit will do the same .. Too bad to hear such good box die :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk

5. bananafarm

bananafarm New Member

Coolio, it's what I figured. Thanks for the help Guru, now I can put this unit to bed and order a new one.

6. Dragonflyer

Dragonflyer New Member

Add two of mine to the list of departed, for the same reason.

7. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Please stop doing it then! ;)(y):rolleyes:

8. Dragonflyer

Dragonflyer New Member