1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Subtitles on remote drive

Discussion in 'NEO X8/X8-H 002 beta 9 firmware (20141018)' started by J-Man, Oct 13, 2014.

1. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Hi guys,

I've had a problem since the stock firmware where subtitles do not display. I use MX Player to play movie files stored on a Synology NAS. It doesn't matter if I use DS File (Synology app for acessing NAS) or map a drive in ES Explorer, the subtitles do not display in MX Player. I have tried the same process on my phone and I do get subtitles on my phone (HTC One M7), at least when using the ES Explorer LAN map method.

The subtitles are in .SRT format and are stored in the same folder as the MKV file. They have the same file name as the MKV, other than the extension of course.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get subtitles working on MX Player?
  2. Alladyn

Alladyn New Member

Hi J-Man,

Yesterday after installing Synology DS215j and Synology DS File on Minix Neo X8-H Plus I have
    spotted the same problem with srt subtitles. Have You solved the problem ?

Thanks for help
  3. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Yes, I believe it was fixed by updating the Minix firmware. However, it is still sometimes a problem if you have to load an external subtitle file manually since the NAS drive is not visible when you are shown a list of folders to choose from. As far as I can tell there is no way to open subtitles on the NAS manually because I don't think we can mount the NAS as a network drive as you can in Windows etc.

If you have the X8-H Plus then I would think it should have the fix that I think was included in the X8-H but I can't be sure of that. Sorry, I can't be much more help ...it was a while ago and to the best of my memory it was just fixed by a firmware upgrade.
  4. Alladyn

Alladyn New Member

Thanks for the replay. Will do some more digging as I have already installed latest
    firmware and for now it does not work with NAS.
  5. Alladyn

Alladyn New Member

Hi,

I have found the solution - at least in the following scenario:
    - browse and play video from Synolgy DS Video app as it enables to choose
    srt subtitles before playing
    - play on MX Player (not checked but other players should also be working)

Installation:
    - DS Video has to be installed on Your Minix or other Android device
    - Video Station package has to be installed on Your Synolgy NAS and
    the Movie folder has to be configured and indexed so the movies will show up in DS Video
    - In case the double subtitles are displayed in Your MX Player (which was in my case on Minix)
    then You should apply the workaround (the link will be sent in next post due to
    new member limitations)

Assuming:
    - When playing from DS File there is currently no option to choose subtitles
    - I have checked it on Minix as well as on Samsung Galaxy S5 both with MX Player
    and the subtitles were visible and were displayed correctly with national characters

Greetings
  6. Alladyn

Alladyn New Member

Still can not paste the link but the thread can by found by googling
    xda developers mx player double subtitles
  7. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

8. Alladyn

Alladyn New Member

Thanks Villa :)