1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

This may force me off Minix- HTTPS & streaming

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX Releases' started by swamprat96, Apr 4, 2017.

1. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

https://www.tvaddons.ag/upgrade-kodi-krypton/ says it all. Basically TVaddons is telling us that all streaming sites will soon only support HTTPS- and the only version of Kodi that supports this is 17.1! That of course is an an issue for us Minix users using XBMC for Minix where the very latest version is 16.3 (or equivalent to Kodi 16.2)

As I use my Minix more and more with Exodus this change will pretty much render the box obsolete. I'll be moving to a Pi 3 or a NUC I suspect

2. Vinylity

Vinylity Member

You can always run Kodi 17 on LibreElec from an SD card: http://forum.libreelec.tv/showthread.php?tid=2156

kingsizept likes this.
  3. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

Or u could pay for your media content and not start crying when your free media that you are stealing will no longer working

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

kingsizept and Higgs like this.
  4. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Very helpful. I like my minix box. I'd prefer to keep using it. I'm just lamenting the amlogic chip Prefects it from taking later versions without compromise.
    Are you saying you've paid for all the content you play through your minix. I doubt that very much

5. dryster

dryster Active Member

The very fact that we're all in this endless upgrade loop means that two or three year old boxes will be obsolete, regardless of them being upgraded to Lollipop or not, do we think that the move by these streaming sites to HTTPS is a good thing?

6. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

I'm not saying anything but I know better than to come here and start whinging about stealing media and think that Minix as a company has to help you in your quest to rob media content...... Some people.

kingsizept and Villa like this.
  7. dryster

dryster Active Member

@Quincy in the realms of online media, the shades of grey regarding legality are more than fifty! - if we rewind the clock forty or more years, when we "owned" vinyl records and recorded music on micro-cassette, we were bad monkeys back then, and little did we know that, according to the masters of it all, even owning a vinyl record was not owning the content pressed therein. We will always be bad monkeys according to the masters.

8. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Heard a good one today .... It's a conspiracy theory. Box manufactures in bed with these sites to force sales ??:whistle:... perhaps ;).. It's irrelevant whether we think it's a good thing or not :)

9. dryster

dryster Active Member

I like new things....

10. dryster

dryster Active Member

@midnight my NUC is over three years old now, runs KODI 17.1 for what it's worth, and my other mothballed units, a few DELLs, a TANGENT box, my Mac MINI, they'll probably all run 17.1 if I needed, but I don't need. The cheap and nasty boxes will sell to those that think they're the end of the rainbow, and yes, we're in the zone of conspiracy theories, why not, everything free, all the time, for just a few pennies...

11. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Hey I get the constant upgrades thing. I have not touched my minix box in 12 months. Don't upgrade it, don't touch Kodi- because it works. Wife loves it.
    Quincy- I still don't get where you are coming from as ALL the media these units play comes from sources that are questionable. I can't think of one "legal" thing they play? (They are crap at Netflix etc as the resolution is too low) And there is not one "legal" streaming source here in Oz that the minix can handle.

Anyway- I've bitten the bullet and gone for the new Nvidia shield 2017. It fixes the netflix issue , has "legal" streaming sources and does a damn fine job of running Kodi according to a friend. It will solve a lot of the H265 issues I've had- and- most importantly of all - supports unadulterated Kodi.

I'll keep the minix for now as it takes me ages to set a new unit up for WAF and I'm time poor/

12. dryster

dryster Active Member

@swamprat96 - good point and honest to boot, I think the problem the industry has to face is that a majority of people are tired of cable packages and bundles that run into a small fortune every month, and even when faced with the revolt of the cord cutters, the same moguls just put up internet rates. Kodi is not illegal, Google isn't, all those browsers cannot be, and everything is questionable now, jeepers, just pop onto Youtube and do a simple search and possibly find every single music album that has ever been published and it's evident the scope of it all.

Android boxes are a lot better than they were, but they still have a ways to go.

swamprat96 likes this.
  13. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

@swampprat96 ok this is where i am coming from you shouldn't come to a public forum looking for a manufacturer to help you to steal illegal content, none for them be it Minix/Nvidia or whoever will care that it is going to get harder for you to stream from these illegal sources.

14. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Ok we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm looking for a way to use a more current version of kodi pure and simple. I didn't think previously this would be an issue as I do work with if it ain't broke don't fix it. That's now happened.
    Of course I could download and play that way. That's illegal too

15. mark2

mark2 Active Member

No problems with Exodus on Kodi 16 here
    I have Kodi 17 on another box both boxes bringing in all the same links and plenty of them

16. ieswideopen

ieswideopen Member

Minix isn't alone in this. Every box that is stuck on 4+ is in the same boat. Why not just upgrade to a U1 for example?

17. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Because I use pass through. I could try 17.1 on the minix but I believe pass through won't work. There are also the amlogic video tweaks in XMBC for minix that I believe don't exist in base Kodi.

I'm going to run the nvdidia and minix in parallel for a while. My family is up in arms that I'm considering changing from the minix as its tailored for easy use with a harmony remote- and it boots straight into XMBC for Minix as I've tailored it with all the necessary android app shortcuts with the artic Zephyr skin. It works perfectly now

18. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I hate the Nvidia Shield due to lack of flexibility compared to a MINIX device!

19. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Yes the Minix is truly flexible. However with the new interface and Google play now available the Shield should be as flexible now. Its apparently had a big makeover. Same hardware it had on launch and android 7 so technically it should not be limited. If it is it will be up for sale very quickly!

20. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

No big update just a move to Android 7. No new interface, it's just the same as it was 18 months ago, pretty much!
    Yes mine has had the update and it is just the same, generally, usage wise! o_O
    My son plays games on it and uses You Tube.