1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

This may force me off Minix- HTTPS & streaming

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX Releases' started by swamprat96, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Did you see any of the MINIX team in the crowd?

2. kingsizept

kingsizept Member

3. kingsizept

kingsizept Member

HAMILTON is MINIX team!!!

4. dryster

dryster Active Member

I use my two older MINIX boxes, running KitKat to do the following without the help of Kodi.

Youtube, Youtube Live, All 4, BBC iPlayer, FilmOn, TV Catchup, Crackle, Reuters TV, Breakfast TV Vancouver, CBS News, DI Radio, CBC TV, Xiia Live

And Kodi 16.1, Soma FM and some occasional flakey IPTV streams.

I still prefer my i3 NUC for most legal TV streaming, via Kodi, or Chrome/Firefox Browser, I don't watch pirated movies.

I use a ROKU for Netflix.

5. dryster

dryster Active Member

Mental note for next F1 race, keep away from the MINIX forum, spoiler alert!

kingsizept and Villa like this.
  6. sidsilver

sidsilver Member

So did I (y)

kingsizept likes this.
  7. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

As my minix box is attached to my TV I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse to drive it. I can successfully dive most functions from a single Harmony remote and only use the excellent Minix remote for text searching. This makes the WAF acceptace high :) Using the native Minix interface is not a peleasant experience as Android was always designed for touch. Kodo makes the experience much better as it has skins that work well for remotes and arrowkey/ok slections. All the functions I use are available through Kodi which is a much simpler interface than the mess that is android

8. dryster

dryster Active Member

I can't wait for the first car that will run on Android, perhaps it would crash and need to be rebooted once or twice a day, previous versions of the OS would not support roundabouts and upgrades to a new version would not be supported by the engine manufacturers. Every so often at traffic lights you would need to force close the car system because you had wound down a window while not moving. The steering wheel or input device would not work correctly as the OS had been ported from a phone with a touch screen and phone calls to the tech support desk would result in the genius answering that it was a known issue, and you should reflash the car when you are near to a PC and connected to the internet. The radio on older cars would stop working because they could not connect to https sites. Every so often the GPS would need an update, but revised maps would only be available for google certified cars. I could go on....

Coops1967 and Villa like this.
  9. Villa

...the car when is reverse would say backwards compatibility not supported! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Damien Xenos and dryster like this.
  10. Bender

Bender New Member

Man you haven't gotten the airmouse??! I would not want to use the minix without it. Get the A2 lite or even better, the new A3 airmouse from minix. You will get the touch interface experience from your sofa. The airmouse is a must buy.

11. Bender

Bender New Member

..and what do you mean by "the mess that is android". If you use the integrated metro launcher you can assign apps to groups. On the bottom you can add a list of most used apps. Its way easier to use than Kodi... trust me. Or maybe you just haven't found any good apps yet that would replace what you do with Kodi? Download Droidbuddy, or first watch on youtube what that does for you ; ) ... all you will ever need is included in that app.

12. Villa

@swamprat96 said this...
    I guess this is a MINIX airmouse!

13. dryster

dryster Active Member

I've long given up on the concept of a single remote that does everything, the A2 Lite is very useful, but my preference for basic navigation on the MINIX boxes is a good old fashioned wireless optical mouse sat on the coffee table, which also works on any surface near me. I've thought about buying a harmony remote, but past experiences with those devices has always resulted in perhaps one, or two functions of individual remotes not being fully supported, so those remotes still have to sit around.

14. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

@swamprat96 what will u do if kodi adds DRM support to stop you streaming from your favourite add-on's...

Found this on torrentfreak,

The group behind the popular Kodi software is not happy that their media player is often linked to piracy. Copyright holders would like Kodi to block certain pirate add-ons, but the team doesn't believe that would be effective. Instead, they're inviting rightsholders to join their platform and are considering the addition of DRM to make that easier.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

15. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

We shouldn't worry. one of the guys at Kodi Team is so tired of all this fuss that he will apply a project for the US govenment to implement the Medical Kodi, and it will be available soon to all those in need.

And this you can quote as you read it first hand in here. (y)

16. Bender

Bender New Member

Been there.... Milage may vary, but what did the trick for me was the Harmony Touch. Its set up based upon on activity rather than function. Replaced all of my other remotes. However, if you own a minix box you definately will need the A2 or A3 airmouse. No way around it. The Harmony touch to get things going and the airmouse once your on the Minix. I tried a lot of other things.... Those two remotes in combination will have you covered.

Get rid of your wireless mouse.... You dont need it. Trust me I'm a doctor.

Blacky and swamprat96 like this.
  17. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

I've been doing more homework and I'm realising that only the minix does HDMI spoofing. This allows me to use Foxtel go on my tv - similar to Showtime I think in the states. The app is only supposed to run on tablets and phones. I'll lose this with the shield.
    Back to interfaces and remotes- I still think a mouse of any sort is not something you want on tv. If the interface is directional then all that's needed is the direction keys and ok plus volume etc. The only functions I need the air mouse for is context, subs and the mouse where an Android app is not usable with arrow keys ( IE Netflix) . Asking the family to drive with the mouse fails WAF. Kodi pulls everything together and with the right skin largely avoids a mouse.

I'm going to run both side by side for a while and see how it goes.

18. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Hmm. Gotta say first impressions on the shield is (yawn) really. It's snappier for sure ,runs kodi Krypton like a rocket and not quite so fussy to get the playback settings right. But it's interface is cumbersome and not editable. It fills half the screen with suggestions none of which are useful. And the remote is very basic. It's ir is no better than the minix making me use a flirc to get the control I want. So far minix 1 shield 0

kingsizept, Bender and Villa like this.
  19. Villa

I've said it many times, my Shield is gathering dust! o_O

midnight and Bender like this.
  20. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Yep I think you are spot on villa. Add to minix's many advantages over the shield is the A2/3 remote and built-in air mouse. I side loaded chrome onto the Sheild then realised I needed a keyboard to use it. Fail
    I think that as others have said ken and his team will get around the https issue in xmbc for minix. I have been using a Chromecast for Netflix and YouTube to solve the resolution issues which the shield doesn't have but in every other department minix wins.
    The extra grunt on the Sheild does not make up for its deficiencies