1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

This package is for "neo-x8h-plus" devices: this is "n200"

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Stevemad13, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

Alright guys got a bit of doozey here.
    I've worked on these types of devices before and have never had an issue.
    What I did was try to run an update via Win10 which formatted my devices and stuck me on recovery screen.

I tried to flash software via USB, but it kept on getting an error message.
    Now it is stuck in recovery mode, and when i try to flash any software it gives me this
    "This package is for "NEO-x8h-Plus" devices: this is "N200"."
    Yes this is the right one, I am 100% sure this is the NEO-x8h-plus. My theory is that the last build installed reffered to the device as "n200" so any of the new builds will be interrupted.
    The build number I could find was 20150202 which is no where to be found.
    I tried the FW003 software as its the closest to that build but no luck!
    Any advice is highly appreciated

2. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

You only have to look at the label on the underside of the box to see what it is. ;)

Searching n200 comes up with M8S hardware.

If the device is indeed a MINIX device then has it been flashed with an alternative firmware?

3. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

I got an email from the company support regarding update, and was sent this:

"Please follow the method listed below to manually install the final firmware version available for NEO X8 Plus.

First, go to the relevant thread on the MINIX Forum:

In the top thread post you will see:

Full system image with USB flashing tool

Download this file.

Then follow these instructions:

Please note that manually installing the firmware will erase all current saved data and settings.

Let me know how you get on, and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Best Regards"

This is the only time firmware was changed, after the update it went straight to recovery screen!
    It bricked the device and now I'm getting this too

Attached Files:

4. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

Had to remove the links it wouldnt let me post them since Im brand spankin new

5. Marty

Marty Moderator Moderator

6. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

That thread
    That thread in itself is super helpful! Thanks Marty!

7. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

dang it...
    Since someone said I may have just the x8h I tried that firmware as well and what i got is in Picture number 2

Attached Files:

8. Villa

?????? o_O

Your username! :rolleyes:

9. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

My full name is Steve Madden, so I can't get my name on anything... Facebook assumes I'm impersonating someone! Trust me it stinks!

Villa likes this.
  10. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

The picture says my device is n200, and as Villa stated it matches the 8h not the 8h-plus so i had to try it!

11. Villa

I never said that! o_O

The picture of the underside of your device clearly shows it is an X8-H Plus.
    I said n200 points to a M8S device which is by another manufacturer!

12. Villa

I was referring to the fact that you may be mad! ;)

Stevemad13 likes this.
  13. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

oh then
    My bad, I assumed. I figured you were shortening for Minix 8. I've spent so much time on this device I am a little mad... lol
    You hit the nail on the head!
    I'm sorry for assuming I'm still learning

14. Villa

I've now had to Google Steve Madden 'coz I've never heard that name! :confused:

15. Marty

I think your only option now would be to flash the zip with TWRP recovery as it bypasses the verification process

16. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

I hear you, however, I cannot get it to work through the pc, it can only be USB install.
    Somehow after I tried to flash the version in the email I got from the company, and now its no longer being recognized by the PC, when i turn it on it goes right to android recovery. Is there a USB installer package for TWRP, like I said with these boxes im still learning!

17. Marty

Sorry I was having a senior moment.

Just to confirm, you do not go into recovery with the link I provided, you extract the files onto an SD card formatted to fat32, pull the power from the box, SD card into the box, power back in, paper clip into the recovery hole at the back and hold it pushed in, push and hold the power button until you see the upgrade message then you let go of the power button and the paper clip.

Give that a shot, try a few times if nothing happens please, if that doesn’t work I’ll advise on the TWRP method

Villa likes this.
  18. Stevemad13

Stevemad13 New Member

Nothing changed even if i hold both for over 2 minutes!
    Same recovery screen
    also the startup screen now reads MS8... im so confused