1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Torrents and P2P streaming. Read me !

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Nov 9, 2014.

1. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Hello Guys,

I want to inform you that torrents and P2P streams can be harmfull for your android box.

Why?
    On a PC there is a mechanical hard drive or big size SSD wich costs more then your entire android box.
    The internal NAND flash or eMMC on your android box has a limited "erease count" wich means "the times a single cell can be erased/written".
    A chip is made so it erases/writes all cells an equal amount of times, so you can understand a single cell has more "erase acounts" on a 8/16GB chip than on a 160GB SSD drive when using it for the same amount of data ereases/writes.

Writing 16GB to a 16GB eMMC chip will write all cells once and then start with the first cell again..
    Writing 16GB to a 160GB SSD drive will take 10 times 16GB before the first cell will be overwritten again.
    So the lifetime for a 160GB SSD drive is 10 times longer when you use it for the same purpose.
    So if an SSD hard drive will die in ten years your NAND/eMMC chip will in one year on heavy usage!

Pear to Pear and Torrents are using the internal storrage quite heavely and can wear down your internal storrage faster then you like to.

Solution?
    Please DONT use Torrents and P2P on your android device unless the apps/addons can be configured to use external storrage like SDCard or USB stick/disk.
    Please avoid apps and addons that can not be setup for external storage use.
    Use it to write on replaceble external storrage or dont use it at all !

Examples of addons and apps that use torrents/p2p;

app: moviebox
    app: popcorn
    app/addon: dutchsports
    addon: p2p

Also note that XBMC HUB Maintanance tool "Zero Cache" is switching cache to use internal storrage in stead of memory! ( Do not use it )
    As Higgs sayed below;
    Dont tell me i did not warned you lateron :D

Any other apps or addons you want to include on this list? please let me know.

Best regards,

HardwareGuru
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    werespawn, il_Moe, Tasos and 10 others like this.
  2. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

Acestream and sopcast could probably go on the list as well...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    HardwareGuru likes this.
  3. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Setting zero cache in xbmc (either manually or using a 0 cache wizard) will also use internal storage.

Sent using Tapatalk
    il_Moe and HardwareGuru like this.
  4. oldbirchy

oldbirchy Active Member

A very useful warning. Before reading on here of the dangers of using zero cache option in xbmc, I was just not aware that it could cause damage. It all makes sense and I had already thought that the use of torrents would cause the same problem.

I do however have a number of questions:
    What is the expected life of your nand flash?
    Obviously whatever the answer, we know that it will be reduced by using torrents or zero cache options but what is the timescale for failure if we don't?
    Am I correct in assuming that using it for any purpose reduces its life?
    My wife has had a phone for the last five years and uses it all the time to take pictures. I have to regularly empty it and she starts again, I have seen no signs of degradation yet.

Please do not take this the wrong way!

I have already altered my set up on cache to that advised by the ever knowledgeable Highs. But I just winder if we are all being a bit over cautious?
    foad79 and thebhenchod like this.
  5. thebhenchod

thebhenchod Member

Would this apply to apps like BT Sport, YouTube and all streaming content?
    foad79 likes this.
  6. HardwareGuru

No.. As normal streaming will go through memory and allmost use no internal storrage.
    foad79 likes this.
  7. sangaz

sangaz Member

Thank you for the heads up @HardwareGuru
    How about using the Ram for for cache on my android?
    Right now I've got my cache to store in my RAM, can that affect the life of my android?
  8. HardwareGuru

Using ram is no problem, this is intended for such use.
    foad79 likes this.
  9. sangaz

sangaz Member

Thanks mate.
    foad79 likes this.
  10. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

for which applications have you got cache set up for RAM, p2p, acestreams, sopcast ?

if so how did you do that ?
  11. sangaz

sangaz Member

12. sangaz

sangaz Member

@Frederick_99 check out this content, this is how I've got mine set up.

hi this thread has taken many turns. <br /><br />To be clear i dont need a sd card anymore to increase the cache? Just use the following in user data advanced settings :<br /><br />&lt;advancedsettings&gt;<br />&lt;network&gt;<br />&lt;buffermode&gt;1&lt;/buffermode&gt;<br />&lt;readbufferfactor&gt;2.0&lt;/readbufferfactor&gt;<br />&lt;cachemembuffersize&gt;209715200&lt;/cachemembuffersize&gt;<br />&lt;/network&gt;<br />&lt;/advancedsettings&gt;<br/>
  13. Robert Pallin

Robert Pallin New Member

So, does this include using say uTorrent to download files to an external hard drive?
    Zeto and foad79 like this.
  14. Roylegr

Roylegr New Member

Don't forget the addon "XBMCtorrent" , this can be set to usb or sd.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  15. Vinze

Vinze New Member

Is there a way to configure/set "p2p streams" addon to use soapcast links "safetly"?

cheers
  16. dramroo

dramroo Member

I found setting in acestream engine to change the cache folder to USB drive... Also in p2p setting for acestream.. Does this solve the problem for acestream.?
    I didn't find in sopcast
    Also available for xbmctorrent

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk
  17. mandroid

mandroid Member

most people get this box for xbmc showbox streams this should have been stated when this type of box came out. for the price should be a none issue. will neo z64 be the same. and on a side note that also includes installing roms from scratch. and before anybody rags there are people that like to switch it up from time to time so many roms to play with that why would you want to stay on just one quickshot 3.2 is coming minix new one should be out soon like we need to be better at telling people about this type of flaw not everyone can afford a box every few months most get it for just that streams.P.S this issue was around since x5 came out and were was the warning about this?
  18. Higgs

Read the first post again, it's not about xbmc streams or other streams, it's referring to torrent streams.
    Also note this is not a minix thing, it's a nand flash thing and applies to downloading torrents on any device with nand flash storage. It will eventually wear out due to the number of write operations. Whether this is in 6 months, 6 years I've no idea, but the point is nand flash has a limited amount of write cycles and torrents use up those cycles quicker.

Sent using Tapatalk
    foad79 likes this.
  19. Rslynn46

Rslynn46 Member

Is there a limit to what the cache buffer size can be set to in the advanced settings xml?

Eg. cachemembuffersize&amp;gt;209715200&amp;lt;/
  20. Higgs

From kodi wiki;
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Note: For the memory size set here, XBMC will require 3x the amount of RAM to be free. Setting this too high might cause XBMC to crash if it can't get enough RAM

Sent using Tapatalk