1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Torrents and P2P streaming. Read me !

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Nov 9, 2014.

1. PMC

PMC New Member

Thanks. When you say manually are you meaning directly in a file? Has XBMC an option in one of the menus to change this directly in the application?
    In the first post there are examples of addons and app that use torrents/p2p. Taking this into account it seems that there are addons which can change the default settings. Am I right? In this case how can I see if a certain addon has changed the default settings? Thanks in advance
  2. buster1888

buster1888 Member

I've recently tried to down load apps and it's telling me they need access to more space that I need to mount external storage but I've over 3gb left on my box why is my device by passing it's own storage and looking for a sd card to be mounted ???
  3. wwwpuntoit

wwwpuntoit New Member

Hi guys, i've manually imstalled some addons, i was wondering if one add-on can bypass my choice to cache on memory and do 0 cache like eventi though i didn't asked it to...if so how can i know? Thanks
    PMC likes this.
  4. wwwpuntoit

wwwpuntoit New Member

5. Siepie

Siepie New Member

Hi, I'm new to all this and read about the danger of p2p streaming. So in order to avoid it, how do I find out which add on to avoid?
    Can anyone tell me if F.T.V. is safe to use?
  6. ghale

ghale Member

So, excuse me guys.
    I'll go to use the NEO X-8 with an attached external harddisk.
    I'll sync files from my PC via ethernet using Bittorrent Sync, because it's very fast and needs zero configurations.
    The files I'll sync will be stored on the external harddisk.
    This will not be a problem for my Android box, right?

Then, I'll use uTorrent to download files directly to the Harddisk.
    This, too, will not be a problem for my Android box, right?
  7. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

How can I tell if my Minix is set to use zero cache?
  8. Sergei

Sergei New Member

Hey guys!
    if I install high speed SD card and I set my ACE stream engine to cache on external SD card is this will be safe for device to watch p2p stream?
    Its only the reason why I bought this device...

If so what will be the best HDD, USB stick or SD card and what software we should use to set cache for everything else.

Thank you,
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  9. pangster

pangster New Member

Seems a bit like a scare story to be honest... Has anyone's drive failed to date because of this?? I've read a few tests where they've written in excess of 2 petabytes of data to these chips and they're still be functioning!!

I think this was an issue with early chips and old ssd's without TRIM functionality etc... Surprised the internet isn't litered with stories of drives failing of this was a current issue!! Lol

Hard drives wear out through use as well! Anything which involves contact or friction will eventually run out!! The eMMC memory in modern devices is essentially the same as SD card technology... They're designed to be written to and read from many many times without issue! Even if a sector does go bad then the in built management knows not to use it and it allocates remaining blocks appropriately.

If anyone is an extremely heavy user and envisages that they'll still be rocking one of these devices in 10 years then they might be mildly concerned.. For the rest of us it's a drastic over reaction.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

This is a warning for small sized emmc chips. One erease cycle is just a few GB, not 1TB. A phone for example dont use p2p and in avarage just stores a few MB a day.
  11. hashlomi

hashlomi New Member

Sorry

I'm really don't understand.
    What settings should I set in the "xbmc for minix" app that have the xbmctorrent add-on ?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  12. anno_satanae

anno_satanae New Member

Is the minix x7 mini a small size emmc chip or not ? Because i see a lot of football games via xbmc sportdevils first row etc ...
  13. Kerenfood

Kerenfood Member

Hi
    if i see a movie trough XBMC that resides on other PC in the network and i opened a share to it , will it considered as P2P or streaming ?
  14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Streaming!
    Kerenfood likes this.
  15. danwnz

danwnz Member

I have a question about using a web browser to view online video/tv content, in particular as site called stan in Australia stanDOTcomDOTau at present they only support chromecast device directly,
    Google Play app provided has an extremely limited support, actually installs on the device, and runs no sound, just cancelled the subscription, anyways the following question still exists

Because web browsing writes cache files, I am guessing will also significantly reduced the life of the NAND, do you have any suggestions so I can stream this content via browser without wearing out my device?

In addition using the browser from XMBC does that cache to the internal storage?
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  16. Yordan Yordanov

Yordan Yordanov New Member

Hey GURU guys (in positive meaning of course ;)),

You have thrown the bomb, that's OK. We will try to stay away from torrents & p2p, but now you have to explain one single thing. How can we know whether "zero cahce" config in XBMC is enabled or not? Please!

Thank you in advance!
  17. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It won't be enabled by default so unless you enabled in manually or through a wizard then it should be ok.
    You can check if you have a file called advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder ("Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/" for Minix XBMC). If you have then check for the following tag;
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

If its something other than '0' or if you don't have an advancedsettings.xml file then zero cache is not enabled.
  18. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

OK...I used the Xunity Maintenance Tweaks (Add O Cache Advance XML) to get myself into this before I read this thread. Can I use the same Xunity Maintenance Tweaks and use the (Delete Advance XML) to get myself out. If not...then How do I reset cache configuration?
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

In Tweaks there is "Delete Advanced XML" so one would assume the answer is, Yes!

There is "Check What XML You Are Using" Select this and it will tell you if you are using advanced settings.
  20. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You could also manually edit the advancedsettings.xml file (located in Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ for Minix XBMC) and change the cachemembuffersize to something like;

<cachemembuffersize>102144000</cachemembuffersize>

(for 100MB buffer)
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Villa likes this.