1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Torrents and P2P streaming. Read me !

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

@Higgs
    Should be this...
    internal_sd/Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

re your post #77
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

:oops: I've corrected my post (y)
    Villa likes this.
  3. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

OK...I got you. I just read Top X questions and solutions and I notice there are 4 extra lines of code in the 1st file recommended over the 2nd one. They are:

<buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <readbufferfactor>1.5</readbufferfactor>
    <curlclienttimeout>45</curlclienttimeout>
    <splash>false</splash>

What do they do?
  4. pangster

pangster New Member

WRONG!! - the solution is for MINIX to implement wear levelling techniques (either static or dynamic) and not make out that it's a consumer problem! - people are buying a product expecting it to be fit for purpose - clearly if no wear levelling techniques have been implemented then the product is in itself unfit for purpose.

You wouldn't buy a sports car from a garage and be told to only drive it at 50 mph!!! - poor show if this is MINIX's official response.

Hardware Guru: are you an employee of MINIX?

Attached Files:

5. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

^^ Wich is in fact using "wear levelling techniques"..

Having a sports car(minix) will WAER out the tires(the apps) and engine if you go full throttle all day ! dont make it the car companies(minix) fault if you do burnouts all day on max RPM!
    Even the best tires or engine would not hold long dooing burnouts on max RPM all day long.
    Minix uses good chips that can last long, this is just a warning for people using torrent downloads and P2P(dooing burnouts) wich have high read write I/O on the chip all day.
    Note; one torrent download wont affect anything, but dooing it "a lot" can.

Have you read your PDF yourself?;
    Did i say anything different then that? ( see and read #1 post );
    I try to keep it simple so people understand.. i will not open a topic full of technical content most people dont understand.
    The content of post #1 is in easy to understand content wich also states that "waer levering" is used ( in easy to understand words )

Please keep your tone down and and read before you make a post like the above.. we might have a proper conversation then.

And NO i am not a MINIX employee but verry close connected to MINIX development.
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    MaxeL, gufone and Villa like this.
  6. pangster

pangster New Member

I have read the PDF and fully understand 'wear' levelling techniques... I'm glad you've confirmed that MINIX implement STATIC wear levelling techniques as going by my calculations - even doing 'burnouts' all day long as you put it - shouldn't wear the chip out for a few years heavy use... I doubt most people bought these boxes to be long term investments - if I get 2-3 years use out of it by using it as intended then I'll be happy.

Trying to tell or advise users how to use a product AFTER they've bought it is WRONG! - if you're stating that these boxes aren't suitable for a particular purpose then this should be clearly stated on the site/advertising or on the box packaging themselves.

Keep my tone down? - not sure what you mean.. all I asked were pertinent questions which are/were relevant to the overall discussion. Your original post almost comes across as scaremongering - where in actual fact (as confirmed by yourself subsequently) MINIX do adopt appropriate static wear levelling techniques in their chipsets and controllers to make this almost a non issue.

EDIT: forgot to add that I'm based in the UK but travel to HK frequently - in fact I'll be there in a couple of months time if you want to meet and discuss in any detail? I specifically asked the retailer I bought it from (Capital Computers (Golden Computer Centre, MK)) who are probably one of the main resellers in HK if it was suitable for this purpose I intended it and they advised it was. If you are now saying it's not then I'd like a full understanding so I can discuss it directly with them.
  7. HardwareGuru

I did not start in bold text and capitals to make my point.
    Anyway, this is just a warning so people will be aware of it. ( with heavy I/O on the chip )
    ( The manual of your car also dont state you cant do burnouts or cant keep it on max RPM all day )

It seems like you just want to try to to make a negative point to blame minix for something here.
    I wont allow you to twist my words.

I see you are replying on a hongkong IP, and the account was registered from the UK.
    * if you have issues with minix personaly send them an email, call them or visite them!

Have a good day.. end of discussion
  8. pangster

pangster New Member

LOL - you're a bit touchy!... the replies defaulted to 'bold' for some reason and there certainly isn't any negative connotations in my posts or me trying to blame MINIX?? - implied or otherwise. I've simply sought to clarify certain questions *YOUR* original post raised for me as a consumer.

You've since clarified these - so I have no other questions (unless my understanding is fundamentally flawed). If anything, it's yourself who has been abrupt and verging on rude/defensive! - considering I had genuine questions and concerns around this topic. And now you've just batted me off? - it seems like you want to be involved when it suits you, but when anyone questions or seeks clarification around your posts or points then you're not interested.

I don't have ANY issues with MINIX or their products - I'm clearly happy with my purchase and it's served me well. I also don't plan on having it for 5-6 years so this really is a non issue for me.
  9. HardwareGuru

My last respond to this;

We are talking about heavy i/o on the chip.
    Not watching torrents once in a while.
    From your previouse post you STATED me WRONG and provided a PDF with the technical content that is explaining what and how.
    Second you also seem to understand it:
    So i dont understand what point you want to make here.

I am not touchy, i just dont like people that
    - state that they know it all
    - doubt my expertise.
    - and then ask for what they allready awnsered themselfs

You are making it look like i am just making something up here the way your initial post was made. So yes i stand by my topic and will not let anyone confuse people following this thread.

Again.. i dont understand what point you want to make here.
    - Just want to open a useless discussion.
    - Just want to play the "know it all" guy
    i dont get it....
    - you did find proper information
    - you did the calculations
    - it suited your usecase and lifespan
    then what is the point to be made...

Not everyone can buy a new device every year, in some countries people actualy save money to buy such a device and want to use it a couple of years.
    We give out a warning so people are aware of sertan things and find a way to "maintain" there devices properly. ( routing torrets to an external storrage for example )

Again.. i dont understand what point you want to make here with... :
    Villa likes this.
  10. otchill

otchill Member

Guys,
    I am using sky HD apk with my neo X7. In order to add subtitle to movie, while i opening movie from sky HD interface, i choose custom and select kodi tv. Movi is opening with kodi tv. Then i can use subtitle add on in kodi.
    Is it big proglem in terms of life time of internal storage?
    I am waiting your comment.
    thanks in advance..
  11. pangster

pangster New Member

seriously, I wouldn't worry about it.. the 'HardwareGuru' has probably caused more hassle, inconvenience and confusion than been helpful.

Think about what you've written... you've got an APK file (so android based - designed and written for the platform) where the majority of devices will be tablets, phones or set top boxes. And like the majority of all these other apps - will work in a similar fashion.. all this nonsense about eMMC chips dying prematurely etc is just scaremongering at best if you ask me...

how many forum posts/threads have you read about this happening on here or elsewhere??? - N O N E!!! - if it WAS an issue then posts would be cropping up all over the place..this isn't a 'new' technology!

If you want my advice - don't worry about it and enjoy your device/devices... if you want HardwareGuru's advice then you'll unplug it from the wall, put it in the box, never use it again and sit in your house with a tin foil hat on!! LOL! :)
  12. otchill

otchill Member

I dont want to join your technical discussion...HardwareGuru gives too much support to me regarding to software up to now, therefore I choose to get HardwareGuru's advice.

13. pangster

pangster New Member

so why even ask the quesion?.. maybe you'd be better off starting a new thread as it's not related then.. ;)
  14. chriswaterman

chriswaterman Member

My interpretation of the initial post was if ppl use a computer to bombard the box with streems ect it would shorten the life of the NAD.a good heads up for ppl id say.way I see my box is its a stand alone device and I for one expect it to last years
  15. Higgs

That's not really what the post is referring to. It's about using torrents and p2p apps that write to internal storage.
    That said if you don't use these apps you should rightly expect your device to last many years.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  16. pangster

pangster New Member

or to put it further in context - what type of memory do mobile phones use.. yup the same as in these boxes and you hardly see the internet littered with stories of smart phone memories dying do you... like I said - pretty much a non-event/non-news story and I wouldn't even worry about it.. use your box and enjoy it..
  17. HardwareGuru

A normal phone writes just a few MB per day to the storrage chip.. Youtube etc are all streaming apps and wont touch storrage. We use this boxes for pure streaming wich is different from making a phonecall!.. Torrent(a lot) types of streaming services are bad for your device. .. Ps.. Normal kodi use is safe as 99.99% addons are streaming/non torrent, and will not use internal storage.. Again.. We talk about a lot of disk I/O, not watching a movie over toreents once a week... I wont defend myself anymore here, i think the topic was clear enough for people to dicide what they can or can not do..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk
    oldbirchy likes this.
  18. Higgs

Don't forget most people don't use their phones for torrent apps and also most (intensive) phone users upgrade/change their phones every 1-3 years.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    oldbirchy and HardwareGuru like this.
  19. likehiro

likehiro New Member

Hi! time4 popcorn app has the best and stable android app and it also allows you where to save your cache, so I think that if you have an SD card, a flash drive or an external drive, it would be the best choice to stream movies in this way without using the internal storage.

Using a P2P client that allows you to save the cache in the same way would save your internal storage too, right?
  20. Pulata

Pulata New Member

1+ for popcorntime. It rocks!
    Marm likes this.