1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Torrents and P2P streaming. Read me !

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Denke

Denke Member

Ok, I've read all 5 pages now. Tomorrow I am getting my U1 and gonna setup everything. So what I did understand is that cache must be 0 or I am wrong?
    Also I wont use kodi for p2p/torrents (at least I think so).

Im gonna use kodi for IPTV, Genesis, Phoenix, Dexter TV and this kind of add-ons + downloading subtitles inside of kodi. Also I will play mostly online games, browsing websites, etc. (All I do on my pc, except for torrents). How will this affect on eMMC?

I do belive it is safe, but it is better to ask and avoid crying by own mistake :)
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Do not use use zero cache! If you are torrenting then download to an external device.

Let me draw your attention to these quotes from post #1....
    Denke likes this.
  3. Denke

Denke Member

Thank you sir :). How about this kind of addons, they should be save to use?
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Denke likes this.
  5. adilmalick

adilmalick New Member

thanks for your information, but apart from it's technical knowledge that you provide, i already know that torrenting is harmful for us, but if you not use VPN, because like canada many other countries torrenting is strictly prohibit so i thing this is a most suitable technique. But what VPN should have to use?
  6. werespawn

werespawn New Member

7. exodus123456

exodus123456 Member

Hey!

I just started using acestream, I selected the option to caché on the external sd, this is fine? I mean there's no possibility that the app will use internal memory for something else right?
  8. Marm

Marm Member

One word: Situation

Often people think about their situation and think that is how everybody views the issue and often get worked up up if others don't see things their way.

I agree with the initial warning !

But examine YOUR situation. There is an enormous difference between someone using uTorrent on a public tracker, or using uTorrent with a seedbox, using one of the streaming apps regularly or occasionally. So I say, relax, look at your situation and act accordingly.
  9. pangster

pangster New Member

HATE to say I told you so... but the scaremongering on this thread was just that...

see here: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/android-5-1-support-for-neo-x8-h-plus.15209/page-4

so even if you were SMASHING the torrents and streaming 24/7 since the box was released it would still be in perfect working order (and out with any future updates planned by MINIX r.e. Firmware/Android updates and new releases of KODI v17+).. their advice seems to be to buy new hardware (which directly contradicts the advice given here)....

;):rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::giggle:
    Marm likes this.
  10. pangster

pangster New Member

Still not heard of anyone having hardware problems due to torrenting or streaming #scaremongering #tumbleweed
  11. klapa

klapa New Member

I have not read the entire thread but would say that I'm a hardware design engineer that also writes firmware and have done applications on a few different (Microchip, ST Micro ARM, Cypress SOIC, Xilinx, Altera) flash based devices. I have come across the FLASH write lifetime issue many times, especially when it is necessary to keep NV storage of changing parameters across power cycles.

When the flash is erased all bits are "1" (0xFFFF), when written it is only necessary to set applicable bits to "0". The setting of the bit to "0" is the write and is limited for guaranteed data retention. Different FLASH have different write lifetimes and vary as to what SIZE the limitation actually resides - i.e. some (few) flash have the limit on a per byte (bit) level across the entire size of the chip but most have this limit on a SECTOR boundary, and depending on flash size will have different sector sizes. Meaning that multiple writes to a SINGLE LOCATION within a particular segment exceeding the "life" will render that entire sector suspect.

The "lifetime" will be specified in the datasheet for the applicable flash device used.

For flash, the typical lifetimes I have encountered are from a low of ~10,000 write cycles to a high of around 50,000 cycles, with ~30k being the usual deal. This can be compared to EEPROM of which many have up to 1,000,000 cycles with retention guaranteed across 30 years.

Most software (operating systems/drivers) detect a solid state or usb drive consisting of flash and have a randomizing function or sorts that spread out the accesses across the full size of the device, thus maximizing the life of the device.

I don't know what actual chips are used for the various computer STORAGE medium as my experience is with much smaller devices, but as I mentioned the SHORTEST flash lifetime I've yet to see was on Cypress Psoc devices and that was 10,000 cycles - which is a heckuva lot of movies.

Keep in mind the limitation is WRITES - read OR erase does not count.
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Marm and pangster like this.
  12. pangster

pangster New Member

At last!.. someone who knows what they're talking about!!