1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

TWRP Recovery for NEO U1

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Dees_Troy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Dees_Troy

Dees_Troy New Member

I have TWRP for the Minix NEO U1.

Note that installing TWRP may void your warranty and may prevent you from being able to install official FOTA updates. To install TWRP, download the file to your PC and attach a USB to micro USB cable from your PC to the USB OTG port on your NEO U1. Make sure you have USB debugging enabled on the NEO U1 and proper drivers installed to allow ADB to work. Once ADB is working, type the following commands:
    adb push twrp-2.8.7.0-p200_2G.img /sdcard/twrp.img
    adb shell su dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/recovery

You will need a USB mouse or the Minix Air Mouse to navigate in TWRP. I'm sorry that the graphics don't currently work properly and that things are difficult to see. If you are familiar with TWRP already though, it should be usable enough.

And the download link:
    https://dl.twrp.me/p200_2G/

Device page on our website:
    https://twrp.me/devices/minixneou1.html

-------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT BY: HardwareGuru

Warning!

Remember any OTA can/might break if you change something to the system.
    Also warranty issues will be raised as a reseller will not give warranty if you tampered with the system ( which can cause issues ).

If you use this... PLEASE DO NOT REPORT ANY BUGS TO THE BUGTRACKER THREADS.
    *as they can be false bugs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
    fffaj, SUNUN, David_Cole and 2 others like this.
  2. abdul_pt

abdul_pt New Member

Nice work. :p
  3. Dees_Troy

Dees_Troy New Member

There's now another build that is not a beta that has correct graphics. The stock kernel lies a little bit about the framebuffer. I would fix it in the kernel source but there is no kernel source.
    fffaj, handroid and Fastrite like this.
  4. handroid

handroid New Member

Nice. Will rename to recovery.img and boot from external SD-card work also?
  5. Kemp

Kemp Member

Great work. Any way of recovering the stock recovery, or would this just happen if an update is applied manually, should that be possible after this?
    SUNUN likes this.
  6. David_Cole

David_Cole Member

Can you update twrp to the new 3.0?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  7. TonyC

TonyC New Member

Yes works like a charm. Unlike what someone else said on these forums, you do have to keep pressing the power button until about 5 seconds after the little green android robot logo appears (and not release it as soon as that logo appears).

Also this means that you keep the firmware and recovery stock so OTAs are unaffected :) (unless you choose the modify option on the initial splash screen).
  8. SUNUN

SUNUN Member

is there any way to install twrp without pc?
  9. TonyC

TonyC New Member

Yes. PCs are only mentioned as a means of preparing the media. In the case of TWRP, it is provided as a raw image file. So first download the img from the above link to your Minix using your web browser. If you have root access then you can use the dd method to _overwrite_ your recovery partition (which you may not want to do because of OTAs). Alternatively you could insert a USB stick or SDCard and then use the file manager to copy the img file to the top level directory of that USB stick/SDCard and rename it to recovery.img .

When it comes to the next OTA you could then temporarily rename the recovery.img file to something else so that the stock recovery is used during the firmware upgrade.
  10. SUNUN

SUNUN Member

and what then when start system and qo recovery it starts recovery from sdcard?
  11. TonyC

TonyC New Member

Yes think of it as being a bit like a PC booting from a CD/DVD before its hard disk. The Amlogic chipsets that the Minix U1 uses will look for a recovery.img file in an inserted SDCard/USB stick formatted as FAT32. If it finds one it loads and runs that, if not then it uses its internal recovery image. If you switch on normally then it will boot into the normal Android OS regardless of what is plugged in (which is where my PC analogy fails).
    SUNUN likes this.
  12. SUNUN

SUNUN Member

and for that if i need root? to make full system backup via twrp.
  13. TonyC

TonyC New Member

Just to say I had a DroidBox before, without any TWRP or CMR available for it. Thus every time it crashed you corrupted the file system a little bit more (journalling is turned off). After about 2-3 crashes you had to do a factory reset. Grim. At least with the Minix you can do a system backup :) Yay
  14. TonyC

TonyC New Member

If you take the SDCard/USB stick route then no, rooting is not needed. The dd approach does require it.

Just remember to NOT select the `do you want to modify' option when TWRP first starts as this flashes it permanently to the recovery partition (which could/probably would break OTAs).
    Pete_Repeat and SUNUN like this.
  15. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Remember any OTA can/might break if you change something to the system.
    Also warranty issues will be raised as a reseller will not give warranty if you tampered with the system ( which can cause issues ).

If you use this... PLEASE DO NOT REPORT ANY BUGS TO THE BUGTRACKER THREADS.
    *as they can be false bugs.

Added warning to post 1.
    newbie99 likes this.
  16. Robin Alfredsson

Robin Alfredsson New Member

Sorry but I can't get this to work.
    I've formatted my SDCard as Fat32 and renamed the downloaded file to recovery.img and put it in the top level directory, pressing and holding the powerbutton and after a couple of seconds i still get into the internal recovery.
    From the internal recovery i pressed update from ext -> sdcard, just to see if the card could be read, and it seems like it could
    Does the card have to be empty? Only containing the recovery.img?
    Thank you
  17. TonyC

TonyC New Member

I used a USB stick. It was empty at the time apart from recovery.img, but subsequently had backup data added to it. However I did notice that it wouldn't work if any other media were plugged into the Minix, like a USB disk in my case. So try it with everything disconnected apart from your SDCard.

Tony.
  18. Robin Alfredsson

Robin Alfredsson New Member

Thank you
    I figured out what the problem was.
    I had the sdcard formatted as a logical partition. When I changed it to primary it started working.
  19. abdul_pt

abdul_pt New Member

20. TonyC

TonyC New Member

IMPORTANT - Please note that TWRP recovery, whilst it backs up your system does not back up your user data. This can be done manually though from within the recovery system. I will make another post when I have more details.

Tony.
    Robin Alfredsson likes this.