1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

TWRP Recovery for NEO U1

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Dees_Troy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. yudumcan

yudumcan Member

I'm rooted do I still need to follow these steps or can I install from Google store?
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Follow which steps and install what from the Google store?
  3. yudumcan

yudumcan Member

Install twrp manager and install with SD card
  4. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

hmmmm, I don't use it BUT I don't think you can use the version from GooglePlayStore because this implementation (and all other I know) of TWRP is customised to the U1 (different systems) ...
  5. TonyC

TonyC New Member

The TWRP manager, from Google play store, should survey the device it's running on and then download and install the correct TWRP recovery; assuming that the specific one for the U1 is registered correctly and known to the installer (which it _may_ not be). However having said this I have never used the installer as I either have Nexus devices and simply use fastboot to flash the image onto the device or the U1 where I boot up off the USB stick because I don't want to affect the stock firmware.

However if you flash, by what ever method, TWRP recovery onto your U1 you will break OTAs, so why would you want to do this? The OTAs deliver bug fixes and new features (I have gratefully received a few additional features asked for in the forums since I got mine in March), and in contrast to other manufacturers Minix is _very_ good at providing solid updates and responding to user's requests for new features.
  6. bovirus

bovirus New Member

@Dees_Troy

Could you please add in first post the command to save (for future restore) the stock recovery?

Thanks.
  7. TonyC

TonyC New Member

If you boot up into TWRP from a USB and make sure the `flash onto device' setting is set such that it -WON'T_ flash to the device (which I think is the default) then you can use TWRP recovery to backup the stock recovery and firmware. This can be done in the form of a tar file or raw image.

However if you follow the above steps then it won't replace the stock recovery on the U1's storage as it will only be running in memory until you restart, thus OTAs will still work in the future, and you'll have no need to restore the stock recovery as it will never have been overwritten by TWRP in the first place.

Having said this, mistakes do happen and so yes it's a great idea to back stuff up just in case :).

Once you have selected the desired options in TWRP, like the `don't replace recovery' option, TWRP will save these settings in a little config file in your data area on the device. Thus you're even less likely to accidentally flash something you didn't mean to.
  8. bovirus

bovirus New Member

tllim73 and skynet like this.