1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

U1 and Libreelec

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by 9800pro, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Hi all,

a little rant here about U1 and possibility of utilizing Libreelec for it (dont kill me for it, please :))
    With launch of Wetek Hub i discovered it can work with Libreelec (not Openelec but variant).
    It seems Libreelec is more frequently updated then Openelec and looking at the test review over at Kodi forum 24p playback is fine as well as HD audio bitstream.
    Also HERE is a thread with up to date releases made specifically for S905 chipset.
    I know that its not for U1 but being for S905 should make it a little more possible.
    My question to Ken and the rest of the Tech stuff i.....could you take this S905 release of Libreelec and polish it for use on U1? As the release itself is pr-made for S905 i hope there shouldn't be that difficult if all of those smart heads come together :).
    Now, someone might say "why in the world would u use Linux variant instead of Android where you have all those goodies like Google+, Gmail, Facebook, Skype.....audio dropouts, audio skipping, HD audio issues....."
    Also people always complain that some version of Xbmc for minix is faulty, and no matter how many iterations you get for us there will always be someone asking for more or something different.
    As far as i know Openelec and Libreelec beeing Kodi OS based don't have so many various issues like Android, you Ken said it yourself a couple of times.
    I for one have U1 because of great support and at the time of purchase it was the best device (side by side with Wetek Core). As i use it only for video watching, don't use Android stuff, i wouldn't mind having Kodi dedicated OS on my U1. I bet a large group of people here use it the way i do, just your basic video player.
    To sum it all up, i will try Libreelec today on my U1, there is a way to use it on SD card, without touching Android OS and let you know did it worked at all.
    If we could get it to be supported for U1 it would be so much wonderful :)

thx for surviving my rant here
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

To discuss if OpenELEC / LibreELEC or Android is more like a philosophic / political discussion... so of course it's up to the user, if available, to use OE / LE instead of Android... of course the main benefit of OE /LE is, that they build the operating system (small embedded LINUX) "around" the KODI instead of developing an app for an operating system...

Anyway, I don't think MINIX will release OE / LE for the U1 (they never done it before for any of their devices) and we have to see if someone else will do it...
  3. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

I agree 100% and would love to be able to have librelec on my U1... can you help me out how you'd achieve this?
  4. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Ok, so i got it to work. Frankly it was really easy, just follow the guide on that link i posted in my first text. Only issue and it's a big one, only available audio output is pulseaudio bluetooth. You cannot select hdmi or spdif. That is probably the reason Ken should get in here and see if this can be fixed. It's almost certainly driver problem. Other than that it runs super fast, ram usage is some 150mb, even the remote works properly. I will also post on that other forum to see if we can sort that audio issue. It would really be great if we could use Libreelec on U1.

Sent from my LG G2
  5. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

Awesome! :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  6. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Really, nobody else interested in this...?

Sent from my LG G2
  7. Sean369

Sean369 Member

I tried it out. It runs well other than the no sound. I actually found that the picture was better than what I get with the U1 under android. Can't gauge syncing issues as there is no sound. It requires a little more horsepower than under android. Checking the cpu usage it's a fair bit higher but still fine. All in all it looks really nice. As for official support from Minix I don't see that ever happening unfortunately.
  8. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

I don't see why. It seems only issue is audio driver which needs to be added to the LE image.
    If Ken or someone from Minix can provide that driver i would try my best to communicate with that guy doing that S905 LE branch.

Sent from my LG G2
  9. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

Like I said, I would absolutely love this when sound is working :)

Henrysbox likes this.
  10. Sean369

Sean369 Member

Hey I'm with you 100%. I would LOVE to see official support for openelec or libreelec like wetek does. I was playing around with it some more and I really like it. The samba and ssh are solid and really fast. Added an advancesettings.xml and had it pulling my library from my mysql server. Picture is really good. Fingers crossed they can get the sound working.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
  11. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Yea, i posted on LE forum and are waiting for creator of S905 branch to come back from holiday. Hopefully then we can get something done.
    It wouldn't hurt for Ken to say something here...
    Here is a dmesg log file with ssh from LE install where there us no hdmi option: http://sprunge.us/UMQU

Sent from my LG G2
  12. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

The developer over at the librelec forum is looking for this input...

Maybe @MINIX - Ken can help out? Please? :)

Link:
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/post-9680.html#pid9680
  13. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

Pretty please? :)
  14. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

15. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Ken please, just tell us can you do anything about it or no (not possible or not willing). Either way will know should we pursue this with LE developers or no.
    Thx

Poslano sa mog LG-D802 koristeći Tapatalk
  16. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

+1 :)

17. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We signed NDA with AmLogic and can't release the source code without their approval. Please specify what exactly do you guys need and we shall ask them to provide.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
  18. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

mikkelni asked at LE forum what exactly they need so we will forward it here when they reply.

Sent from my G2
  19. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

Hi @MINIX - Ken, the dev replied, this is what they need:

20. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

@MINIX - Ken Any updates from Amlogic on the request for the sound driver source and device tree? Would be very much appreciated! :)