1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

U1 no 4K resolution ?

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Catfish66, Jan 21, 2016.

1. flipintheuib

flipintheuib New Member

I am having troubles with the U1 and the 4K resolution. First of all, it seems to me all wrong that even though the U1 detects de capabilities of my 4K Tv, it doesn't automatically switch to the 4K resolution and it remains to 1080p. I mean, IMHO it doesn't make any sense, it should go for the best supported resolution.

Second of all, when I manually force the 4k@60Hz resolution, I'm having big troubles with Kodi; the videos are not escalated and they remain to the original pixel size, this is, they are played in a tiny square of the total TV size. Do you have any suggestions?
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I don't know if I already asked, but had you also tried the latest MINIX XBMC (15.3) which you can find at the fw004 thread?
  3. Tim-APCR

Tim-APCR Member

Sorry Bennett83, but Villa is correct. HDMI.org came out and explicitly stated that the older cables can support 4K bandwidth.

"Can existing HDMI cables support the higher bandwidths of HDMI 2.0 Specification?
    Yes, existing High Speed HDMI Cables (wire only) will support the new higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps).

HDMI 2.0 specification defined a new, more efficient signaling method, for speeds above 1.4b limits (10.2Gbps), to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over existing High Speed HDMI Wire Cables."

Source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

I would add one caveat though, from working in the consumer electronics industry for a decade. Look at a cable which has a good amount of shielding on it. If you have cheap cables that are next to other cables or electronic devices, you may inadvertently pick up interference from the other stuff. A cable with good shielding will minimize that.
  4. newbie99

Ok, but I have to say, that in the past I had some cables with same printed specs on it and some of them (or with them) was able to support CEC and some not... So it also depends on the quality :)
    Tim-APCR likes this.
  5. Tim-APCR

Tim-APCR Member

Now, THAT I can agree to wholeheartedly, but I think that speaks to my point about the shielding. That was something I always found with Monster Cables. The innards of the cables themselves weren't really any better than the cheap stuff. But they put a lot of care into making sure that no signal bled outside the cable, or no stray signals found their way inside the cable.
  6. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Yes the spec can handle it but cheap ones are sometimes not to spec. So i still disagree with the article, not all old or cheap cables will work
  7. Jaroslav

Jaroslav New Member

Hello,
    I just bought new 4K TV Philips 55PUS6101 yesterday and found out below 4K resolution issue with my
    Harman Kardon AVR 151S (I haven't noticed if before because my previous TV was 1080p only):
    If connected U1->AVR->TV via HDMI's, U1 doesn't show 4K resolution in screen setting, the highest available is 1080p@60Hz. My AVR has HDMI 2.0 ports with 4K passthrough, TV is also 4K.
    I tried to connect U1 directly to TV using the same HDMI cables - tried both of them which I used for connection U1->AVR->TV, with both cables U1 shown 4K@60Hz resolution, I was able to choose it and play 4K videos without any issues (TV also displayed that video resolution is 4K).
    It seems that problem point is AVR, something like that U1 cannot recognize correct TV resolution when communicating through AVR and is offering only 1080p@60Hz as highest resolution. Is there any way how to bypass U1 resolution list offer and set up manually resolution which I know that is correct but U1 doesn't offer it in it's settings menu?
    I know that I can connect U1 via HDMI to TV to get 4K video to TV and via Toslink to AVR to get audio there, but I do not want to use this as AVR has only 1 Optical audio In port and which I need for another device. Also optical cable cannot handle formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD what is bad for me. I would like to solve HDMI connection @4K, can pls anyone advise?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. newbie99

9. Jaroslav

Jaroslav New Member

10. 1Fred1

1Fred1 Member

The problem is probably with HDCP 2.2 and your amplifier not having this capability!

For 4K, you need ALL HDMI CONNECTED DEVICES (including amp) to have HDCP 2.2, and HDMI 2.0, and the HDMI cables to work at high speeds.

To learn more about this, go to youtube.com and search for CEDIA HDCP. Here is one to get you started...

HDCP 2.2 Overview Webinar
  11. 1Fred1

1Fred1 Member

P.S. Be aware that many new 4K TV's being sold have ONLY ONE 4K HDMI input!!! The other HDMI connections are 1080p!

I returned (to the store) a Sharp 4K TV and a VIZIO 4K TV because they had some 1080p 30 Hz connections. (No one told me.)

I found a LG TV which had three 4K connections. That is HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2, and 60Hz for each connection. (LG UH5500 4K UHD Smart LED TV.)

Note: It was not easy to find the LG TV as the sales people do not understand what HDCP 2.2 is. There is no information on the product sheets in front of each TV for sale. Usually nothing on the back saying the specs of each HDMI connection. And nothing in the TV specifications or owner's manual about this!

The LG documentation does say all three are HDCP 2.2. (Yea!)
  12. Jaroslav

Jaroslav New Member

I need just one 4K HDMI input on my TV and it does have it. Regarding the AVR, I'm not able to find HDCP version info anywhere:( My friend has some Evolveo 4K Android box so I will borrow it from him and will try if it could work via HDMI with my AVR 4K resolution or not. If not, AVR is the issue, if yes, will exchange box with him (as he has just 1080p TV and doesn't want to buy 4K one).
  13. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

It's the avr,it must not be compatible with minix,possibly a hdcp problem.I have the same issue with an onkyo that was supposed to pass through 4k. I bought it way before I got a 4k TV(I was trying to be future proof) but it doesn't actually work with 4k. I haven't actually found any '4k' content with DTS ma so all I do for 4k is plug the minix directly into the TV and the sound comes back to the avr via ARC. When I play a 1080p with DTS ma I switch HDMI cables. Once enough 4k with DTS ma content becomes available I will replace my avr
  14. Jaroslav

Jaroslav New Member

1Fred1 and Bennett83 were right, it was AVR problem and it was most probably cased due to that Harman Kardon AVR 151S doesn't support HDCP 2.2. I changed AVR by Pioneer VSX-531 which support HDCP 2.2. and resolution problem disappeared, U1 now shows 4K@60Hz in settings when connected to TV through Pioneer AVR and video works well.
    Many thanks you both guys for your feedback which helped me a lot to figure it out.
    The only bad think is that now I need to sell Harman Kardon receiver...:)
    Bennett83 likes this.
  15. axfatec

axfatec New Member

Hi all, I would give my negative test result on MINIX U1, 4K 10 bit video .mkv on new SAMSUNG 65KS7000 that has a 10bit panel.
    Unfortunately the film with 10 bit color depth is played with a color degrade vired to magenta.
    The same film with 8bit color depth is shown correctly.
    Has anyone a solution?
    Thanks
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-neo-u9-h.15764/page-7#post-131743
  17. axfatec

axfatec New Member

is there a chance to have a firmware update on MINIX U1 to support 10bit on H264 codec over the current 10bit on h265 only ?
    thanks
    Alessandro