1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

U9 Currently on FW006

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H Official Firmware Releases' started by Patrick Slater, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Patrick Slater

Patrick Slater New Member

Hello all.
    Have had a U9 box dor a couple of months now. Slowly getting used to Android, but still a newbie.
    i see I am on FW006, 20170810. The Minx update app tells me that the current release key is 20171020.
    I try to update to this, it downloads the zip, tries to unzip, but after about 20% ,
    it stops, goes into Android robot error screen.
    an ideas what I’m doing wrong ? Is the update worth it. TIA.

2. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Are you using adoptive storage?
    If yes then I believe you need to remove the SD card!

Try clearing the data/cache of the System update app.

Another option is to use the USB.zip update package which will give you FW008 directly.
    Find it here...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u9-h-fw008-20180209.18858/

3. Patrick Slater

Thanks for the reply. When I eject SD card, I have insufficient storage to download ? is there something I need to do to download the zip to internal memory ?

4. Villa

Are you using adoptable storage?

5. Patrick Slater

Am using 64gb micro sd card. If I try to eject this before starting the update process, it gives an sd card error.

6. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

you really need to answer Villa's question....are you using adoptable storage ??...it really isnt a good idea imho, google it !!

either way try this
    power down your minix
    remove the sd card and factory reset from the recovery menu
    do not put the sd card in and reboot
    then try the OTA

of course factory reseting means you lose any apps your have allready installed so you will need to reinstall any apps you want.

Villa and midnight like this.
  7. Patrick Slater

Thanks for your help. As I said, still new to this, so will do some research on “adoptive storage”.

8. Villa

What are you researching?
    You still haven't answered whether you are using the SD card as adoptive storage!

If you are then it clearly states in the link I provided above...
    NOTE: Adoptive storage (e.g. TF card) is not supported by our OTA, please remove any of such storages before proceeding.

To me it's sounds like you do not know!
    If you are not using the SD card as adoptive storage and your device's internal storage is full then you need to remove/move some files/media to allow for the OTA update to download.

Or as I said above...
    Another option is to use the USB.zip update package which will give you FW008 directly.
    Find it here...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u9-h-fw008-20180209.18858/

Or as @pusb87 mentioned start afresh with a Factory reset and then try the OTA update or the USB.zip update package I mentioned.

9. astral

astral New Member

Hey
    Don't bully the guy. He is new.
    I have googled Adoptive storage but still have no idea how to check if it is in use

Grencola likes this.
  10. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

No bulling going on !..... @Villa and @pusb87 have explained things. Adoptive Storage..... do you have a SD card installed in your device ?

11. dedstik

dedstik New Member

Are you trying to perform an OTA update with your VPN enabled ?
    I have found that I need to disconnect my VPN when I initiate an OTA update.

Vorag likes this.
  12. astral

astral New Member

I still feel you were bullying in the OP!!

Yes I do have an SD card.
    Have been using it for a long time in U1 and now U9
    So not new to Android!! Using Android on Minix and phones over several years now.

Still no idea if SD card is in use as Adaptive storage on my U9? :-(
    Is that automatic if an SD card is installed
    How to check??

If so update instructions should be more explicit.

Thanks

13. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

I was bullying ????o_O... if you are trying to do an update , just remove the SD card. @Villa indicated this in RED in post #8

14. Villa

No one is bullying!
    Questions get asked and the OP doesn't answer all the questions. If they did then the issue may get solved quicker.

No! Adoptive storage is not automatic. If one has set it up then one would know that is why I said this...

midnight likes this.
  15. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Asking whether adoptive storage has been set is a fairly straight forward question as it is a choice made by the user when using an SD card.....you decide !

afaik I belive you can check by going to the storage settings and look at the settings options for the SD card ( the three dots ) and seeing whether you are given the choice to format as internal memory., if so then you are not using adoptive storage.

again, its your choice

for what it is worth i see no good reason to use adoptive storage on the u9 for most users

Villa likes this.