1. Official MINIX forum

U9

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by mis3, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis3

mis3 Active Member

Is there any official release date for Minix U9, the new S912 box?

One site suggests mid-October, another one says November.
    kingsizept likes this.
  2. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

There is no official date as of yet.
    You may find out more when the MINIX team come back from their holidays
    asx and sangaz like this.
  3. kevin97

kevin97 New Member

Hi, I currently have the Neo u1 , which works great, but I have recently heard of a new S912 Neo U9H, which I plan on upgrading to. Thing is heard it was due to be released mid Oct then Nov? any word of when it will be released? Thanx
  4. midnight

midnight Active Member

You're joking... right :whistle:
  5. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Still no release date known.. what people tell on the internet/blogs are just speculation...
    asx likes this.
  6. John Moses

John Moses New Member

Heard it would be in 8 weeks time ..was planning to buy the U1 and now waiting for the u9-h ...so guess that's gonna be November then ..
  7. mis3

mis3 Active Member

I just googled this and no news at all for this Minix U9. Not sure if hardware configuration has been publicized.

Can Minix here provide more information?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. HardwareGuru

Again..
    Villa likes this.
  9. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Waiting for announcement of the U9-H.
    Hopefully can order for delivery before Christmas.
    asx and Chris Wright like this.
  10. mis3

mis3 Active Member

I would think so. S912 boxes started to appear in the market 2 months ago. Beelink GT1 was first available in Amazon.ca back in mid August.

Surprisingly, most of these S912 (2gb/16gb) boxes are not expensive at all. I use the box exclusively for Kodi so I guess one of these S912 boxes will do.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Gunpoint69 likes this.
  11. HardwareGuru

Too funny tho.. early releases, undevelloped software, reference design pcb's etc.. Minix first devellop the software, design a proper pcb and releases when it is ready. There is a big difference between boxes with the same specs on paper...
  12. mis3

mis3 Active Member

I recall I read an article about how Minix improves on Amlogic reference PCB while other brands do not. Too hand cannot find this article anymore.
  13. HardwareGuru

For example...

Minix U1:
    MINIX_NEO_U1_Heatsink.jpg

Other reference design pcb with same chip:
    KI_Plus_Box_WiFi_Antenna_board.jpg

And then we havent talked about used chipsets for memory, storrage, wifi/bt etc... or if the android OS bug fixes, added features etc...
    This is only the visual difference we can see with our eyes..
    dabourb, sangaz, xppx99 and 5 others like this.
  14. mis3

mis3 Active Member

15. mark2

mark2 Active Member

WOW what a difference in quality Minix way better
  16. HardwareGuru

The funny thing is THAT is a complete android box, the little heatsink is all it has .. it is a good example of a cheap box...
    midnight, kingsizept and Villa like this.
  17. mis3

mis3 Active Member

Just read that Tronsmart has released its S912 box (like below). I will look for review in a few days.

Edit by: HardwareGuru
    Reason: Advertisement/sales links not allowed
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  18. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Although the specs on Tronsmart's new S96, I'd definitely wait for the Minix U9-H.

If you look at the S95 which is the same spec as the U1, Tronsmart's only released 2 updates after initial release.
    Minix released 10.

You can't beat the amazing support the Minix offer.
    As the pictures above show, they also take great care of getting their products right before releasing.
    I see great things for the U9-H, seen as video stardards have now settled down (no upcoming things like 4k, HDR, 10bit, x265 or 3D) these have all been sorted so the boxes can now get back to playing these flawlessly, rather than trying to be the first to get to market but actually be a load of rubbish.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    midnight, kingsizept and HardwareGuru like this.
  19. mis3

mis3 Active Member

Sorry, I was not thinking. It was just a FYI because since Tronsmart has released their S912 box, Minix will follow suit soon.
    In fact, I urge people NOT to buy Tronsmart. I bought the Tronsmart S95 Telos back in Dec-2015. It was bug ridden and the last firmware release was April-2016. There has been absolutely no support from the Tronsmart.
  20. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

That's strange because tronsmart brought out various updates for the mxiii plus box I had of theirs before I brought the minix u1 so clearly they do offer support for their hardware, just not as much as minix support their hardware.

The main thing I'm interested in with the U9 or any up and coming amlogic box for that matter is whether it will fully support kodi 17 and more especially refresh rate switching with doesn't work on the u1 due to removal of amlogic codec.

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.