1. Official MINIX forum

U9

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by mis3, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

Haha this reminds me of the old days..
    We made a rule of no asking for ETAs because if the ETA isn't right then people go silly and abusive ;)
    sangaz likes this.
  2. mis3

mis3 Active Member

By definition, ETA is only an estimation.
    Surely there has to be a plan or an agreement between the marketing and engineering teams on the launch date.
  3. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I'm well aware the "E" in ETA stands for Estimated... Unfortunately the general population does not... I think they think it stands for Exact Time of Arrival
    I'm sure there would be an in house plan but considering the backlash the team used to receive when anything was 2hrs over the ETA, there's no sense in giving ETAs.
    I have not been told anything and I'm usually given around 2 weeks notice so I can set up the forum etc.

My best advice is to just chill out and it will be here when it's here... this is coming from someone who is as excited and keen as everyone else
    Vittorrio1980, sangaz, Higgs and 3 others like this.
  4. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

If the hardware has been sorted for months, and the only issue is the software, I expect the delay is due to AMlogic not having a good Android 6 firmware for the S912 out yet.

There are issues with them customising the APIs rather than sorting the pure API.
    This is having audio issues of DTS Passthrough for example.
    This is why the other S912 devices out are very poor.
    Minix are doing the right thing by holding off until the software gets sorted.
    It's their name on the brand if things don't work well, buyers won't complain to AMlogic, they'll complain to Minix.

I want the next big thing,,but can wait till it's ready
  5. mis3

mis3 Active Member

True. I have read some reviews of the new S912 boxes and they all have some faults. This is why I asked in another post how was the U1 when it was first launched. I bought the U1 at FW008 and it was perfect for my AV requirements. Not sure if there is any new box with perfect firmware at first launch.

Also, I noticed that most of them are powered by S912 SOC, not the S912-H.

Not sure how important is Dolby and DTS for my configuration. I do not have full surround sound, just SPDIF from my TV to a Samsung sound bar.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

There would also be the other issues associated with Android 6, such as write access to external drives being blocked, and only having an app specific folder write access.

This can either be resolved by rooting, or a firmware related workaround by Minix.
  7. mis3

mis3 Active Member

How does Amlogic SDK work? They have released a SDK for Marshmellow and a reference PCB for the new SOCs. Will Amlogic release updates to this SDK or is it up the manufacturers to make further updates?
  8. mehgurd

mehgurd New Member

I wonder, just recently bought an U1 and quite new to Minix' habits in general. How long will there be support/updates/firmware upgrades for the U1 when the U9 is released?
  9. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I can't answer you officially but the U1 isn't quite a year old yet and generally MINIX support lasts a good two years!
    midnight likes this.
  10. dav003r

dav003r Member

I was reading the Kodi forum and they were saying with android 6 they will only support their own official api which is why a lot of the s912 boxes don't support HD passthrough and are very buggy ( they don't support Kodi's api). Maybe the Minix U9 will get a customized XBMC Minix Kodi 17 when a release candidate for Kodi Krypton 17 is released. What do you guys think?
  11. midnight

midnight Active Member

Minix will make it right (y)
    sangaz likes this.
  12. Adsy83

Adsy83 New Member

i was just about to buy a U1 and now I'm really not sure if i should wait or not :cautious:
  13. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

I'd buy the U1 for now.
    It's a well established device and running super smooth.

When the U9-H gets released it will no doubt have teething problems and take months to get sorted.

I've personally gone for the U1 (returned to it after being very disappointed with the NVidia Shield TV). I'm keeping an eye on the U9 being released and how it goes.
    I've got no issues with the U1 and it's perfect for me at the moment, so no need to change.
    midnight likes this.
  14. Adsy83

Adsy83 New Member

thanks for that. think i might. what i want is something that will play HD flawlessly and maybe play some 4k.... streamed from my mac via ethernet.
  15. mis3

mis3 Active Member

Last week, I helped a friend to setup Kodi on his new Andriod box. He bought a [Mod edit] . Other than a few minor bugs, the box worked fine. I used this box with Kodi for many hours over the weekend and I was impressed. This box costs [Mod edit] from Amazon.ca as compared to [Mod edit] for Minix U1.

Looks like the chips manufacturers release new SOC every year and some of us would change boxes accordingly. Maybe a lesser box is the way to go.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2016
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Note: Please keep in mind this is a Minix Forum. promoting/advertising other products is frowned upon and is against the forum rules. Please familiarize with the forum rules here (the first line covers this);
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/forum-rules.47/

Pros and cons of buying Minix boxes is a permitted area of discussion, but some posts are crossing the line of promoting/advertising other products.
    danlat1415 likes this.
  17. mis3

mis3 Active Member

Sorry, Higgs. I was not thinking while I wrote the post earlier. I should not have mentioned the brnad of the other box.

I do have to admit the Minix U1 is a better box. Since I have one already and the U9 is not coming out anytime soon, I may have to settle.
  18. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Like a pair of shoes - the U1 is well worn in and nice and comfy, works great for what you need.
    The U9 may be a nice shiny new pair of shoes in the shop window, but they'll rub you feet for a while and take a while to bed in like you nice comfy pair did.

Newer isn't always better straight away.
    Let someone else wear them in first and buy them when the reviews are in and all is good.

At the moment, whilst the U9 is due to be a newer box with slight better specs, the main issue it's on Marshmallow - which has its own issues altogether. So could take a while to be as good as or better than the U1.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    midnight and Villa like this.
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Unless someone can tell us differently? I'd like to point out that the U9 doesn't actually exist yet! :confused::rolleyes:
    Will it ever come to fruition, who knows? o_O
    midnight likes this.
  20. John Moses

John Moses New Member

Been in the same dilemma for last few months .. ever since the guy on Minix FB page said u9 is gonna be out in Nov , then end of Nov ...and now its closer to launch date...
    I have to settle down for something on the lower end of the spectrum and deciding on fire stick or something else with deals going on ... might have to park u9 hopes for a few more months...
    sad.. but wud have def. preferred to have u9 for christmas
    micki and Bob Roberts like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.