1. Official MINIX forum

U9

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by mis3, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis3

mis3 Member

I used my friend's new S905x box ($40US) for 2 weeks and it came with Kodi and some popular addons. Like I said in my earlier post, there are a few bugs but for $40, why not especially for a 2nd box.
  2. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Question about S912 vs. S912-H: It is my understanding that plain old S912 (all such boxes to date) is not Dolby Digital or DTS licensed ... although the Minix U9-H (with S912-H) will be. But – if everything (the box, Kodi, and TV) is set to passthrough – does it matter? As long as the media stream and the sound system are Dolby Digital and DTS licensed.
    miki881 likes this.
  3. mis3

mis3 Member

I think this depends on your audio equipemt and the data source.

I use the Andriod box for Kodi online streaming only and most of the online materials are 2.o audio only. I have a 2.1 sound bar and since the specs says it is AC3 and DTS capable, I set the audio output to enable these features. Not sure it makes a difference.
  4. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

And which android box (with what chip) are you using, mis3? [My current box is the Minix X8-H Plus, the 'H' being significant for the Dolby and DTS licensing.]

BTW, I find that many streaming movies and TV shows (at least newer ones) in Kodi are Dolby Digital. Of course, I have a Real-Debrid account (inexpensive), so that might make a difference. FYI: I have a 5.1 soundbar system (with Dolby and DTS).
  5. mis3

mis3 Member

I use the Minix U1 and am looking for a 2nd Andriod box for the bedroom.

I have a 2.1 Samsung soundbar also with AC3 and DTS. This soundbar, using SPDIF connection produces decent sound but hardly surround sound.
  6. Chris Wright

Chris Wright New Member

I don't think the u9 is ever going to be released???????
  7. mis3

mis3 Member

Yes. They must be having a lot of problems with Amlogics SDK.

Regardless, a few of my friends have ordered the lesser S905x box. Based on my recommendation, they did wait for the U9 but eventually gave up.
  8. Chris Wright

Chris Wright New Member

Yeah, I have the neo u1 but was waiting for the u9 to come out so I could purchase another for my son for Christmas. looks like he's having a u1, I can only wait so long.
  9. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Couldn't Minix release the U9 now ... and then offer a firmware update when the Netflix issues are worked out?

For example, the Nvidia Shield has had many updates (including version of android) since it was initially released.
  10. mis3

mis3 Member

Netflix issues? I know the delay is due to some firmware related issues but no idea it is Netflix related.

I tried Netflix with my friend's S905x box. It was a pre-installed app and it worked fine despite the fact that it did not work too well with the remote or wireless keyboard.
  11. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

My bad! I guess I was confused with what is holding up the official release of the HDR firmware for my Hisense TV. [I've been hanging on both.] According to this post, it's other stuff:

I do stand by my suggestion, however: Release the high-quality Minix box now and provide updated firmware later. [Personally, I gave up waiting and ordered another brand ... with great specs, but unknown quality and support.]
  12. mis3

mis3 Member

I am thinking the same. I am leaning toward a cheaper box; probably S905x. My requirement is low; Kodi only for online streaming.

Also, with the low price, maybe I can change it every year with the latest chipset.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  13. Chris Wright

Chris Wright New Member

Me personally after using other brands have been swayed towards minix products and I don't think I'd revert back to the cheaper boxes. in a way it's good that minix haven't released it yet as they want it to be good but that doesn't stop me being impatient lol.
    KellyND1, sangaz and midnight like this.
  14. Chris Wright

Chris Wright New Member

Do we have any sort of update as to the release date or the delays with the U9?. I know this would be greatly appreciated amongst the forum members. Thanks.
  15. mis3

mis3 Member

I also prefer my 2nd Andriod box to be Minix. I started this thread on Oct-4 so I myself have been waiting for quite some time. Today is Dec-5 so chances are we will not be getting it before Xmas.

We need a plan-B.
    Chris Wright likes this.
  16. Snakebite

Snakebite Active Member

Ken, whilst not asking for a specific release date, would it be possible to ask your guys what development is currently in progress with the U9.
    As can be seen this is a hot topic for many loyal members and supporters of minix. I do think it would be beneficial for minix to give some level of managing user expectations... the more you delay the more risk I see to the minix brand as users stray towards other albeit inferior brands.
    Not wanting to sound cynical here, but is it likely a new model won't be released until you hit margins with the U1?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    John Moses and Chris Wright like this.
  17. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

When we are launching it, it will be better than U1.
    Or we don't launch it.
    We are trying to be a responsible manufacturer.
    We could have launched it months ago if we don't care.
    boggiano, asx, sangaz and 4 others like this.
  18. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Well, I think you can have it before Christmas.
    Not 100% sure, but 90%?
    ilGimmy, asx, sangaz and 2 others like this.
  19. Snakebite

Snakebite Active Member

Ken thanks for the response, I fully understand your position. I believe the issue relates to the rumour mill that was started in September... essentially it was announced, and then we we heard nothing. Manufacturer responsibility surely includes managing expectations too. I'm sure we all want a solid product at the end of the day, and I feel a progress update would be gladly received by the community, rather than it will be great, or it might not be released...
    Butcher and Chris Wright like this.
  20. idlefriend

idlefriend New Member

I am searching for a good 4K HDR android box with Netflix 4K compatibility.is there any chance U9-H can give netflix 4K ??If yes it would be so useful to me. basically I am a Minix Lover so i am expecting everything from Minix only.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.