1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

U9

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by mis3, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon123

simon123 New Member

is there a new box coming out for 2017 can some one can confirm this please kind regards simon123
  2. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

3. drap, in case of the new minix will be announced for this Month.
    I hope, i would buy the Neo U1 but if the U9H is announced, i'm prefer to buy it.
    kingsizept likes this.
  4. beppy

beppy New Member

Hello, I am a happy owner of Minix ngc1, I am also interested in buying this new u9, but if you make me wait so long in giving news on its release in the market, I think I change my mind, there are many alternatives in this regard. please give information on the marketing of u9
    KellyND1, simon123 and kingsizept like this.
  5. mis3

mis3 Member

I started this thread 2 months ago and many of us have chimed in to ask for the launch date. Minix has not given an definitive response of the launch date,

I have since moved on. I spent $43CAN on a S905X box with 1gb/8gb. I use my Andiord boxes exclusively for Kodi and this S905X box is more than capable. Good thing is it costs less than 1/3 of the U1 (U1 prices was $154CAN at the time). I figured that with the low cost, I can buy a new box every year with the latest and better SOC.

IMO, Minix had missed the boat. There are many capable boxes out there with the new SOCs (S905X, S912) which cost much less than the U1. I myself waited for the U9 for 1.5 months before giving up.
    Chris Wright and mauroragusa like this.
  6. beppy

beppy New Member

since I expect we will see quanto.io patience I want an upgradeable product, long-lasting, definitive.
  7. beppy

beppy New Member

A Minix costs so much to communicate the output period of this model? Did they want to change something? Maybe a USB port 3 or 3 or 4 gb ram? Or a 128gb ssd from as ngc1? Would be great!
  8. Villa

MINIX are on their way to CES 2017
    Maybe they will be showcasing something new?!

I know nothing, it is just a thought! :)
    kingsizept likes this.
  9. mis3

mis3 Member

I doubt if the U9 will have USB-3 capability because S912 SOC only supports USB-2.

As for future upgrades, there is really not much of it for these Andriod boxes. It seems that Amlogic releases SDK for one Andriod version for a given family of SOC. SDK for S905 is Andriod 4.4. For S905, it is Andriod 5.1 and S905X/S912 is Andriod 6. Therefore, it is not a bad idea to buy a cheap box and change it every 1-2 years with the latest hardware and firmware (of the latest Andriod version).

For example, my Minix U1 has 11 firmware upgrades and they are all based on Andriod 5.1. Many U1 owners asked for firmware based on Andriod 6 and Minix response was "If Amlogic release a Andriod 6 SDK for S905, we will work on it.".
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  10. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Not everything is about android version. The important thing is that whatever android version you have, that it works well and bugs/faults are corrected. The problem with most 'cheap' boxes is that they will likely never see a firmware upgrade, so if it has bugs they won't get corrected and no new features will ever be added. If you're happy with that and use your box only for a limited purpose then that might be fine.
    The fact that your U1 has had 11 firmware upgrades shows the effort and time that Minix put into support, not only fixing bugs but also implementing new features. Is there something missing from your android box that you would like, some new feature or option that you want? If its a Minix box then if it's possible you have a good chance of seeing it being added. If its a 'cheap' box then you might as well whistle in the wind. :whistle:
    eastp, kesey, kingsizept and 2 others like this.
  11. exitguy

exitguy Member

Could not agree more with these three very relevant points you have put forward.
    Got an X8-H running FW 009 and XBMC for Minix 15.3 - its just over 2 years old but keeps going and going. Found that doing a complete power off once a month really improves its performance.
    U9 looks interesting and that will probably be the next device, but as long as the X8-H works and does the job why spend money - only need to do that when absolutely necessary.
    midnight and sangaz like this.
  12. beppy

beppy New Member

ok right, though I do not understand why a product is presented at IFA in Berlin, promising the release on the market two months later and instead to all problems it is postponed .The same thing happened last year with the NGC1. it is better to present a product that you are sure to work properly? Or if not expect the presentation?
  13. Villa

You are missing the point! Everyone wants Kodi 17!!! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::eek:

Please note: Totally in jest!!!
  14. mark2

mark2 Active Member

What does this $43 box do that your U1 cant
  15. mis3

mis3 Member

Surprisingly, nothing. However, my requirement is low since I use the Android box only for Kodi. The only apps I installed were ES File Explorer and Aututu. I have been using this Andriod box for 2-3 weeks and not one single issue. I did use it a lot during the holidays.

By the way, I powered off both my Android boxes (U1 and this cheap one) completely when not in use. I mentioned this because I had an Andriod box which would get stuck with the logo screen at boot time often. Apparently, many S905 boxes suffer from this logo freeze issue.

Villa: Correct. I read that minimum Android version for Kodi 17 is Android 5.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  16. Viggen66

Viggen66 New Member

Mis3 I don't agree with you, if you compare the video quality of a minix u1 with those cheap Android TV you will see the difference for starts there's no video jitter on a u1, the same video is not as smooth as running from a minix reason? Most of those cheap boxes uses amlogic sdk files so the firmware from the one is almost the same as another, those Chinese manufacturers don't have software engineers only assemblers, who pick some chips and a plastic and assemble the box, the firmware is done mostly by amlogic if the box boots, don't need to be updated. Minix on the other hand customizes api and libraries to make the video with the best quality, and ask users for bugs and requests, in regards to audio pass-through is rare the box that passes the sound as good as minix without the aid of third party apps, you have all that on stock firmware free of bugs.

In top of that the minix boxes are very well assembled.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    kingsizept and midnight like this.
  17. mis3

mis3 Member

Both of my TV are only 1080p and I do not see any difference in picture quality. The cheaper box has no video jitter at all. So far, I am very happy with this box, especially when considering the price. Maybe I just lucked out with this particular box.

If there are differences with 4K resolution, I would not know.
  18. midnight

midnight Active Member

What version of Android is it running if you don't mind me asking ?
  19. mis3

mis3 Member

U1 = Lollipop 5.1
    The other one = Marshmallow 6.0.1
  20. midnight

midnight Active Member

I have a U1 so I'm familiar with it and very happy with it ! So tell me what's so great about 6 ?? what are we missing on 5 ??:unsure:
    kingsizept likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.