1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

u9h doesnt recognize external hard disk anymore

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by PLAY911, Jul 20, 2017.

1. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

Hi there hope you can help mw I have an external ssd 256 gbs connected by usb that the box has stopped reconized, suddenly, until this moment I didnt have anyproblem...I have tried with another disk and the same, I have reset the box and same result. If I connect a usb memory no problem just external disk....the disk connected to pc works fine
    could you please help?

2. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

If the drive is powering up and plugged into the U9, there should be no reason it can't be read. You could try another USB cable and make sure you have separate power to the USB device. Also, unplug the U9 for about 30 plus seconds, then power up and try again.

3. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

Yes sounds like a power supply issue from the USB ports to the HDD.

How many devices are connected via U9 - USB ports would be the next question ?

4. Sprigga

Sprigga New Member

I'm having the same issue, dudes. I've used the same 1tb Hard drive since I got the box 2 months ago and it's read a multitude of files perfectly. Now the U9 has suddenly stopped detecting it. I've tried using smaller pen-drives and they're not accessible in ES File Manager or any of the media playing apps.
    I haven't suddenly upgraded the device or even added any new files to the HDD. everything worked fine on Thursday, but stopped on Friday. (the HDD connects fine to a PC.)
    And with Game of Thrones back on TV this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

5. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

Many thanks guys!...I am going to flash again back to 4a to see if its that the problem....I already tried other cables and adapters....keep you posted
    many thx again

6. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Logic would dictate that something changed from Thursday to Friday. Have you tried plain file manager app? Did you install any addons or apps? Did you change anything in Android/MINIX settings?

7. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

@PLAY911

Q. How have these external drives been disconnected from your PC ?
    Q. What Partition format are the external drives formatted with ?

Just pulling them out of a PC will have set the unsafe removal Flag set on NTFS formatted drives. Theses HDD's then can no longer be read by Mac OSX, Linux and Android devices.

I would try some sort of Disk Repair on the HDD's with a Win PC to see if there have been any issues. And then Safely eject them from a PC.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. Sprigga

Sprigga New Member

Dude - I've managed to sort my problem out and I apologise for any work I've caused. The Minix device crashed a few nights prior to my issue and it left multiple bad sectors on the drive. I linked it to my PC and ran a diskscan, which repaired the issues. I have no idea why the pen-drives wouldn't work either, but -bottom line is- whatever problems I was having earlier are now resolved.

9. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

I have fixed my problema reflashing FW05....its not a problem of the disk...I would say unstable FW yet.

Best regards
    and thank you all

10. ACP888

ACP888 New Member

Same issue for me. Just upgraded the FW, and now my Seagate 1TB plug and play drive stopped being seen. It shows up on ES FM as USB100x, 699GB / 991GB, and icon remains gray. It used to see it as Seagate 1TB with no problem. Have tried all 3 USB ports, the 30-sec power off, and scanning it for errors on Win10 and ejecting properly - which sees it fine. How do I go back to a previous working FW version? Or what else can I try?

11. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

You can do a full flash with this method, using a previous firmware.

12. ACP888

ACP888 New Member

Just to say, I plugged another drive (Seagate Slim 500GB) and the U9 saw it fine. I then tried the Seagate Backup with the Slim cable, still shows up as a UBxxxx drive and not accessible. Plugged the Slim back in, and it now also showed up as a USBxxxx drive and not accessible. Did the 30-sec power off, and the Slim was then seen fine. But not the original Seagate Backup - which worked FINE before the FW upgrade and works FINE on my PC. Unable to do the FW flash until I pull out my entertainment centre to get at the power supply. Very frustrating.

13. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

If you re-flashed firmware 5 and you now have a fixed U9, I would say more user error or flash malfunction and not firmware. It is not uncommon for an OTA upgrade to fail or cause problems. In the old android days, we use to manually flash at least 2 times in a row, to make sure all the ghosts were gone. I still practice this with the U9. I download the firmware and flash twice. Overkill? Maybe, but I never have anomalies. (y)

14. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

Not my case I insist its unstable FW...before disk problems I had flashed FW5 3 Or 4 times to try make work Movistar+ app.
    Thank you

15. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Well IMHO unstable firmware would mean most ALL users would have the same external HD problem. I purposely tested 6 different models, from 2tb to 5tb. All work flawlessly. I see 2 or 3 people having an issue with external HD units.
    In all fairness, all my external units have separate power supplies. It is possible, if you are using an external HD that uses the USB power, that the problem may be power.

16. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

every system is a different world....You have seen I am not the only one...many disks many diff apps. Fresh FW=different problems
    when you try to help its ok when you justify everything dont
    many thx

17. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Every user has a different problem as well. This does not mean it is faulty hardware or software. Users are quick to blame the hardware manufactures and software developers, even if the problem is not hardware or software related. Are there incompatibilities? Absolutely! But in many cases I see a few people having issues with external hard drives. I see a few people having issues with purple/green screen or no connection, I see few people with internet connection problems, I see few people with resolution and audio issues. Speaking for me and others as well, that do not have these problems, and we really want to help, it makes it hard to help when someone points fingers and shifts blame, when there is not enough evidence to show it is a bug or faulty firmware. I am not affiliated in any way with MINIX. I merely believe in and sell and install their products, along with many other computer, networking, pro audio/video products, and do an enormous amount of installations. I learn a lot reading from these forums and try to help when I can. I'm not justifying anything, I'm making a valid point.

18. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

sorry I meant
    when you try to help its ok when you think you know everything dont
    thx again

19. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I don't know everything and I am just tying to help. But I do know you continue to point false blame, and won't listen to what could be your problem. Then you resort to insults.
    My motto has always been "don't ask the question if you don't want to accept the solution".

YOU NEVER answered the question"Are you using an external power supply or just plugging into the USB port?":confused:
    here's some specs:
    3,5" ext hdds will RARELY if NEVER work from USB alone, and would need +12v power supply
    2.5" ext hdds may use 600 to 1100 mA for startup, which exceeds the 500ma limitation of USB 2.0. But it may not cause a problem, since it is a short time for that power consumption. After startup they will need 250 to 400 ma, getting very close to the 500ma limitation of USB 2.0.
    This is why I never use external drives without an external power supply, when plugging into a USB 2.0 port.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  20. PLAY911

PLAY911 Member

Dont make the vixtim saying I insulted you...and please dont shout, at least to me. All the time giving lessons...sorry not interested in your mottos.