1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

ubuntu for minix neo u1

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by taaku, Mar 23, 2016.

1. taaku

taaku New Member

is there anyway i can install or use ubuntu on minix neo u1
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

Sorry, nice idea, but I don't think so... (at the moment there only exist some experimental openelec builds for the S905, so MAYBE there exist some usefull drivers, but I don't think you can use this kernel+driver to mount an ubuntu ARM rfs (root file-system) also not a minimal ARM rfs... I know there should exist a linux sdk for the 905, but I have no idea IF someone have/use it, and if there are some people, how many people...)
  3. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

OK, meanwhile there also exist the “Hardkernel ODROID-C2” where a “Ubuntu 16.04 LTS” exist… but I wouldn’t use (or at minimum try to install) it at the U1… And I don’t think someone will port it to the U1… You are the first one who ask for Linux at the U1…
  4. Gandalf

Gandalf New Member

So I would be the second I guess ;-)
    It would be great to have own, favourite Linux on such awesome piece of hardware.
    One reason why people don't ask for it might be that most of them would not write here if they don't already have their own MINIX, and they don't have their own MINIX ... just because they are not sure if they would be able to run their own favourite Linux distro there (Debian in my case)
  5. iko00

iko00 New Member

I am the third!

Hello to all ..... I'm considering buying a Neo U1 but I thought that Debian was running inside too ......
  6. bitweasel

bitweasel New Member

I'd be interested, as it would excuse me from the audio headaches that android imposes on music playback.