1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by Sherazan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sherazan

Sherazan New Member

Hi, I would understand if it's possible install UBUNTU or any other Linux version on this PC with 4Gb RAM.

2. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

3. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

eUX likes this.
  4. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

5. Linuxium

Linuxium Linux Evangelist Dev Group

If anyone is interested I've finally got HDMI audio working on the Z83-4 and I've posted an ISO on my blog which you can download and use as a LiveUSB for testing or installation. Wifi and the headphone jack are still WIP before you ask!
  6. Bram77

Bram77 New Member

Thank you Linuxium! You are awesome. Minix itself still hasn't released it's distribution for the device. Your hard work is very much appreciated.
    Does this mean wifi won't work, or that it might work?
  7. jlinux

jlinux New Member

Sound great. Does this mean that everything besides wifi and headphone jack now work with your image? At any rate, I have a headless install in mind and don't need much; all I really need working is USB and ethernet.
  8. badmonkey68

badmonkey68 New Member

There seems to be a lot of chatter regarding the desire for some form of Linux working on the NEO z83-4 (and other Minix Windows devices I assume). I wonder if one of the moderators might be able to put the relevant information into a single thread? I see Minix team members commenting on the LibreElec thread and it sounds like something is on the way. It would be great to have a general Linux thread to follow for when there is news.
    jlinux and nicosea like this.
  9. sneferu

sneferu New Member

Linuxium, Where is this ISO, link to blog? Can you explain what changes were made so one can run a different distro, they all seem to be broken thru HDMI: ROSA, Fedora, etc..
  10. Linuxium

11. Linuxium

klapa likes this.
  12. Linuxium

I've spent some time looking at running Ubuntu on both the MINIX NEO Z83-4 and MINIX NEO Z83-4 Pro devices and I've now got everything working although it required creating some kernel patches which I've upstreamed.

I found that with the latest mainline v4.13 there were still three issues that required patching:
    • Wifi
    • Headphone audio
    • Bluetooth
    Wifi was interesting as it was previously working in v4.12 but suffered a regression with the release of v4.13 kernel. This is now fixed starting from v4.13.2 and in v4.14-rc1.

Headphone audio now works starting from v4.14-rc1.

You can create a bootable ISO using my 'isorespin.sh' script (see here). First you will need to copy the wifi firmware from 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\4345r6nvram.txt'. Then, for example, to respin the Ubuntu 17.04 ISO use the command 'isorespin.sh -i ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso -u --atom -f 4345r6nvram.txt -c "mv /usr/local/bin/4345r6nvram.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt" which when booted looks like this.

My bluetooth patch is still pending kernel review. Booting a patched v4.13 kernel looks like this.
  13. tbfh777

tbfh777 New Member

Thanks for this very important and carefully pursued initiative. Linuxium does great work, and Minix is building great hardware. I hope Minix is supporting your work in as many ways possible.

With net neutrality and open development standards under siege by the US government, the telecom industry, and the software/networking oligopolists at Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook & Amazon (among others), those of us who understand the perils of allowing Global Government Inc. (and its corporate cronies in the so-called private-sector) to take over the Internet, must remain vigilant in protecting this last bastion of free-expression and personal privacy. (Apologies for injecting a political comment here, but after 35 years in this remarkable industry, I believe we must guard against taking these core principles for granted !;)

Note to Minix: How about a 'Microsoft Free' version of your platform with the Linuxium .ISO under an as-is, at your own risk purchase agreement?
  14. Linuxium

gufone and Dangagi like this.
  15. Linuxium

klapa, gufone and SteveMurphy like this.
  16. Linuxium

kingsizept likes this.
  17. corey99

corey99 New Member

Thanks Linixium. Do you have a download of your respun iso? I am having trouble using your isorespin script on my own.
  18. Linuxium

19. corey99

corey99 New Member

Thank you, Linixium! I was having trouble installing xorriso, but was able to do so on Linux Mint, and then finally respun the Ubuntu iso and got sound working. However, now after trying Mint, I see it is a bit faster and smoother, so I am trying to respin that ISO, but not having luck just yet....more info to follow!
  20. corey99

corey99 New Member

So, for some reason I am unable to respin the linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso using the options to Add frequently used options for Intel Atom, upgrade the kernel to latest, and add the files you mentioned for the 5645 sound card. The same exact process works well for the Ubuntu 16.04 iso

Errors were encountered while processing:
    Error in function:
    Fetched 1749 kb in 0s (0 B/s)
    rm: cannot remove '/home/corey/isorespin/mnt': Device or resource busy

and the popup at the end:
    error: /usr/local/bin/isorespin.sh: Local package 'rtl8723bs_4.12.0_amd64.deb' failed to install correctly

Do you have an idea what the problem might be?