1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X5 Unit freezez at startup.

Discussion in 'NEO X5' started by JimSel, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JimSel

JimSel New Member

Hi,

I got a Minix X5 unit (or atleast, that is what i think). Its a branded unit (BroadSign Xpress).

I can successfully re-flash and change loader back and forth but as soon as i plug it into a screen and do a normal boot it wont get passed the MINIX boot screen (KitKat version). For the Jellybean version it reboots everytime efter the MINIX text at startup.

any idea ?

IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0939.JPG
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I think what you think is correct!
    From what I can find via Google, Broadsign use the MINIX NEO X5.
  3. JimSel

JimSel New Member

Well the thing is. When it was running thier modified version of jellybean it looked like it worked. It booted up and i had to enter password to login etc etc. Found this unit in the bin @ work, would be cool to get this unit to work :)
  4. Villa

I suggest you try and flash the latest X5 firmware!

Download link (to be used for a Fresh install or pre CE210 versions)
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=x5-rk3066-250.rar
    (drivers and Flashtool included)

How to...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/h...irmware-for-minix-x7-mini-x7-x5-mini-x5.5230/
  5. JimSel

JimSel New Member

6. Villa

Yes!
    Fingers crossed! :)
  7. JimSel

JimSel New Member

Well, I get to this stage in the boot up process (attached). Don't know how long i should wait (5 mins + now).

....Maybe RAM failure or something. Might be in the bin for a reason :p

Thanks for your replys ! IMG_0940.JPG
  8. Villa

Try to enter Recovery. I don't know what you should or can achieve but it's worth a look!
    Insert a paper clip into the Recovery hole, press and hold. Then press the Power button for a couple of seconds then release. Wait a few seconds and the MINIX boot logo should appear and then go into recovery mode.
  9. Villa

Actually the info in the image, you posted above, doesn't look right for a normal/successful Restore! I don't know what the pink square indicates? You didn't select Upgrade did you?
    It should look like this...
    (It is for X7 but it would be the same)
    rkbatchtool-loading-tutorial-3.png

10. Dkim

Dkim New Member

My company has upgraded their BroadSign and is about to trash a few hundred "Xpress" boxes.

I hate to see such waste and would love to recycle them by flashing a new firmware and donating them to a local school.

MINIX, do you have any advice here?
  11. Villa

Why are you hijacking this thread?
    What are Xpress boxes and what do they have to do with MINIX?
  12. Dkim

Dkim New Member

BroadSign Xpress = MiniX Neo X5! Please look at the first sentence of the opening post in this thread.
  13. Villa

Fair enough but it has nothing to do with the thread title!

Flash the latest firmware.
  14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Have you tried the suggestion in post#4?
  15. justice

justice New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a broadsign xpress device and saw that it might be the same as the neo x5 so I decided to attempt to update it to the latest version. (The stock version was 4.1) I follow the directions noted in post #4 but encountered the same exact issue as OP. The device boots to the minix splash screen and just sits there.

Furthermore, I've attempted to flash the other versions as well (Following the guide to download the bootloader before doing so) and none of the other versions would move past the splash/boot screens as well.

It seems like I hit an impasse since I can't seem to find the original stock rom to flash it back to. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Ask broadsign what they've changed and why you can't flash Minix x5 firmware?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  17. Dkim

Dkim New Member

These are end of life from Broadsign so they are zero help. I get the same problem the OP has when I try to flash the X5 firmware.
  18. Villa

19. arbee322

arbee322 New Member

Any update on this thread?

dkim, justice, Jimsel?
  20. JimSel

JimSel New Member

Hi,

I think that my unit was bricked or something. Nothing worked. It went straight to the bin :).