1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Unofficial Lollipop on the X8-H Plus

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Marty, May 18, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Active Member

Does the External SD show 404MB like the picture does in the instructions? Is the SD Card formatted to FAT32?

Can you try copying the TWRP folder onto your box and see if it is detected, now that you have used TWRP there should be a TWRP folder on your box now, just overwrite it.

And lastly, thanks for being the test pilot on this, I'm glad you took the leap of faith so we can get the kinks ironed out for the rest that try
  2. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

sd card was formatted to FAT32 perfectly and then copied both "TWRP" folder and "recovery.img" and then it booted from recovery that was placed into sd. Can't figure out why it didn't detect TWRP from the sd while getting recovery from sd. What I have done is placing only "TWRP" to another flash drive formatted FAT32 and then switching it to another USB port and then rebooting to bootloader/recovery from teamwin_rec and then saw the value that appeared to the USB OTG. So, I did it. It is Done!!
    Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Active Member

Awesome Let me know what you think once you've played around a bit
  4. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

i don't use headphone jack so it wouldn't be an issue for me. the great feedback is i used to watch movies from freeflix but that used to occur crash on 4.4 but now it has stopped. let me use it so i can come up with all feedback. thank you Marty once again. hope Minix will realise its customer need.
    Marty likes this.
  5. Rui Oliveira

Rui Oliveira Active Member

Hi. I thought (a while back) of installing a custom ROM ( Probox ex+) http://probox2.com/category/probox2-ex-firmware-3/ that a friend recommended but he told me that the IR command does not work just like other things.
    I have other command (air mouse m1) and that work in the that ROM but i dont like and i dont use at all.
    My question is : IR command that come with the minix is 100% working (with MxIII-G ROM ) ?
    I use almost 100% streaming video (movies and tv shows ) from my NAS but i also use some time to time exodus add on.
    I prefer a stable, oficial, funcional device than a custom ROM that is not fully functional.
    @Marty thank you for your setup instructions doc, is well made, with pictures, etc.
    Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Active Member

Hi Rui, once you have done step 2 of the instructions then yes the Minix remote works but not 100%, the all apps and recently used apps buttons do not work.
    Grippy Man likes this.
  7. Rui Oliveira

Okay, thanks for the information. I have already installed several devices with a modified rom but I always think of the pros and cons. The box is stable compared with kitkat official firmware?
  8. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

The most remarkable improvement I've got with that rom is much faster network connectivity (no lagging) and not sure but I think video has got some improvement than official minix F011.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Active Member

I have found it very stable, I have had the odd freeze on boot but a clear of the cache through recovery fixes that. It is certainly a lot more stable than the Probox ROM, I tried that one too.

This is really just to give people a taste of Lollipop on the X8-H Plus until Minix release their official one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grippy Man and Rui Oliveira like this.
  10. Rui Oliveira

I'm glad you tested both, so you know which one works best.
    I hope you are already testing the modified ROM for at least a month, to see better how the rom behaves.
    Once again thank you for the info.
  11. Marty

Marty Active Member

I have been running this on two X8-H Plus boxes for just over a year now, couldn't be happier to be honest
    Rui Oliveira likes this.
  12. Rui Oliveira

Hard and long tested so
  13. Rui Oliveira

You use NAS for example? Can you tell me if IT works well On SMB ?
  14. Marty

Marty Active Member

I don't unfortunately, perhaps @Grippy Man does and can advise.
  15. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

I haven't tried yet SMB on this rom. I'll let you know if it works later.

Marty likes this.
  16. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

Following observation I have made on this Lollipop ROM:

1. I used to stream movies from Freeflixhq that encountered crash all the time on KitKat 4.4 but now it runs smoothly and watched full 1080p movies flawlessly.
    2. FTMC used to crash or force miniminsed and even stutter on KitKat but now it works good.
    3. YouTube TV apk latest version that never fit in on Minix KitKat but now it has got full environment to fit in on Lollipop. I am much happier with that!!!!
    4. I can't judge about video improvement but I guess it has got some improvement just for jumping to Lollipop. You shouldn't believe me but you can experiment on your own.
    5. Network connectivity totally faster than Minix Kitkat.
    6. Device stereo port can't produce any sound output but I am good as my speaker is connected back to my TV. So, I get sound without problem.
    7. I sometime encounter getting stuck with lollipop on bootup after switching on power but it is not a big deal, What I followed was turning Off my socket and then holding power button for sometime that took me to Minix Boot Logo.
    8. My younger brother used to play clash of clans and encountered the app to crash on KitKat after playing a while and it remains same on Lollipop. It is an issue.
    9. I use Mele F10 remote and now Home button does not work and other button like Volume, Back Button, Power Button totally workable. So, Home button is an issue for my remote.
    8. Some might tell that flashing different rom might brick your device and harmful, Don't do that!!! But I find Marty suggested procedure is worry-less and no chance of getting your device to be bricked.

It could be true that Amlogic stopped caring Lollipop SDK but I believe developers can make it better!!!!
    Rui Oliveira and Marty like this.
  17. Marty

Marty Active Member

Thanks for the feedback
    Grippy Man likes this.
  18. Rui Oliveira

Ok. Continue with that test for a few weeks and let us know. Thanks
  19. Rui Oliveira

Observation: When we try a new firmware (upgrade) or even a custom ROM the best thing to do TESTS is with default settings and everything clean (cache etc) (factory ROM) , then do BASIC tests Like test The default apps , test The remote , vídeo and audio settings. After that we can improve The test Like networking, addons etc. Dont forget of course The backups needed.
    With that if The ROM failed part of the basic tests is up the user to install or not.
    For me The kit kat ROM is for now very good (very Stable, very fast, super responsive to user commands, etc), need a upgrade but a GOOD upgrade.
    @Grippy Man Remember then when you install a new ROM the normal is that everything is cleaned and then that ROM is supposed to work well.
    When you say "I used to stream movies from Freeflixhq that encountered crash all the time on KitKat 4.4" i bet is because you have installed and uninstalled several applications.
    I bet with kit kat ROM with a clean install and if you test only for example freeflixhq everything works well.
    i tested FTMC and EBMC (kodi forks) dont work very well for me, so i returned to kodi 16.1 which for me it works very well.
    For me it does not work well also have for example kodi and another kodi fork instaled, so i only have kodi installed as well with the default kit kat rom apps.
    When i tested many things the best is to do a factory reset again because otherwise we run the risk of apps or even functions that were working well suddenly work badly
    Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM
  20. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Member

Betting is not everything you can battle just to beat the necessity of Lollipop. I gave a clean flash with F011 using USB burning tool and then again went to testing what happens to freeflixhq....sooner or later it'll start crashing. Couldn't figure out why??? The FTMC that I ran on both rom 16.1. Last but least, it is not have noted something but all these are real facts somebody might ignore but x8 h plus users may have confronted. Minix could bring in Lollipop but they didn't. It's big disappointment for every x8h plus user.