1. Official MINIX forum

Update from old version directly to 009

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 009 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by PeterP, Sep 1, 2016.

1. PeterP

PeterP New Member

Hello
    Can I update my minix from older version (I think 004) to 009 directly, using the USB flash tool?
    I am recently updated my minix (first time update), starting from updating to 002 version and 002A.
    After this with FOTA to 003 and 004.
    From there I updated directly to 009 using USB flash tool.
    The minix seems function well (at least for using it for kodi and internet), but after this update the minix not recognized by the flashing tool. Does this caused by direct update from 004 to 009 or different USB tool is required for 009 version?
    Thanks
  2. PeterP

PeterP New Member

After upgrading to 009 FW. What is performed by Wipe and Factory reset performed through recovery menu during power up? Does this returns me to clean image of 009 or to the image came from factory 20141122?
    Thanks
  3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

No need to start individual threads. Threads merged.
  4. Villa

Factory reset will remove all user installed apps and data and leave a clean current firmware (in your case 009) install with preinstalled apps only.
  5. PeterP

PeterP New Member

Thank you for your reply. This is very helpfull forum.
    Could you help me with first question, regarding direct update from 004 to 009.
  6. Villa

A direct update should not cause the device to not be recognised by the flash tool!
  7. PeterP

PeterP New Member

Thank you
    I have another minix same model. So can I update it directly with usbflash tool from 20141122 to 009? I tried to look for this answer on forums, no lack. All my friends did it through fota: update after update, take a lot of time.
  8. Farscape1

Farscape1 New Member

What i have found with both my boxes after flashing 009 firmware, is that due to the long press recovery option added. Unless i also have it connected to the tv whilst flashing. I have no idea when to release the pin at the back, otherwise both boxes go straight to recovery rather than be seen by the flashing tool in windows.
    Spent a long time trying to figure out what had happened to both boxes after flashing 009 to them. as i had to return both boxes back to 007a because 009 did not play nice when it came to mp4 or avi and eventually mkv all from dvd/bluray rips which i made using handbrake. Video would play no audio. One file in the folder would play then box would refuse to play the next file. When playing a season it would play some of the files then freeze on one file, no audio, video would fast forward and keep repeating the same file.
    Will wait for the next firmware or stick to 007a as that firmware seems to agreed with both my boxes.
  9. PeterP

PeterP New Member

So how you returned them to 007? My box not recognized by usb flash tool after burning the 009, goes directly to recovery menu.
  10. Farscape1

Farscape1 New Member

I moved my laptop right next to the tv where the minix box was (as the supplied cable is remarkably short).
    Put the tv on the channel for minix box.
    Minix box turned off.
    Connected the usb to the laptop, opened flashing tool.
    Put pin in back off minix box and held power button.
    As soon as logo appeared released power and pin.
    Flashing tool found box and i was able to flash.

Hope that helps.
  11. Villa

12. SJshah

SJshah Member

13. PeterP

PeterP New Member

Thank you!