1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X8-H Updating Apps for Minix X8-H Plus

Discussion in 'MINIX & General Android Apps' started by UltraFusion, Dec 22, 2016.

1. UltraFusion

UltraFusion New Member

Hi - have been recently getting to know, enjoy and make good use of my new Minix X8-H Plus.

- and have one quick question...

The unit came standard with a number of loaded apps, and I have updated most of them (such as AirPin, MX Player etc) but there are two apps I can't quite figure out how to update...

The two are "FileBrowser" (currently at ver 4.0) and "4K MoviePlayer".

The app screen icons (circled) are per attached jpg.

Would be thankful if someone can shed some light on these - ie. identify the supplier and how to update...

Many thanks and and Season's Best - Glen

Attached Files:

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Maybe there aren't any updates for those apps available, how are you updating?
  3. UltraFusion

UltraFusion New Member

I'm either looking for a "Update Now" within the app or going to Google Play and searching for the installed app and using GP to run the update...

But for these two apps neither approach helps - ie. no internal "update Now" setting (that I can find) or since I can't ID the specific name/supplier of the apps I'm unable to locate them in GP...
  4. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Go to the play store and press the three lines as shown below:

Screenshot_2016-12-22-17-11-06.jpg

This will open the menu shown below:

Screenshot_2016-12-22-17-07-23.jpg

Click on My Apps & Games and a list will come up letting you update all your apps at once.
  5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Filebrowser is very basic and I would assume it does what it does and no more, so no updates!
    If you want a filebrowser that does more then use ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer.

I guess 4K MoviePlayer just does what it does also and doesn't need updates!
  6. UltraFusion

UltraFusion New Member

OK - thanks for the comments.
    Agree with your suggestions - just wanted to use this as a learning lesson and make sure I wasn't missing something.

I have installed ES File Explorer - excellent appln! Will also check out Solid Explorer...
  7. DarthPac

DarthPac New Member

Those apps are built into the firmware and wont be listed in your Google Play Store purchased apps. Being built into the firmware means that updates to your two apps and other "system apps" will be rolled in with future system updates.

Just to add to Vila's description of the apps, they are a dime a dozen and there are literally hundreds of alternatives:
    - ES File Explorer Pro (which has the ability to map SMB network file shares) is my file explorer of choice.
    - 4K player is pretty average as far as media players go. I've always gone with Kodi/xbmc (which is an absolute gem) or VLC.

Happy NY to all.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
  8. UltraFusion

UltraFusion New Member

Darthpac - appreciate your reply - makes sense on those apps being 'baked' into the firmware - and how they m/b updated...

For my "default" video player I've being using both MX Player (which has been pretty solid) and VLC (which I use pretty much exclusively on my Windows PC)...

VLC on my Minix is, from time to time, a little (to me surprisingly) "iffy" - am running the current ver but it occasionally locks up etc - so I've resorted more to using MX...

Will give the Kodi/xbmc player a good try...

Happy New Year...
  9. JAB3

JAB3 New Member

How can I add VLC to my apps?
  10. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You can get it from google playstore
  11. JAB3

JAB3 New Member

Thanks, The first time I tried it just wouldn't load. This time it did. Go figure.