1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

usb dac problem

Discussion in '[Bugtracker] NEO X8/X8-H 002 beta 8 firmware' started by pinnewip, Aug 13, 2014.

1. pinnewip

pinnewip New Member

I'm on the latest 002 beta 8 firmware and have a problem with my usb dac. The dac is a NAD d3020.
    no output to USB audio : off
    digital audio auto-detection: tried on and off, no difference (when off, output is set to PCM)

I see in the logcat that the dac is recognized, but when I start playing something the errors come in :
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): ******get_usb_card***card=0***
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): out_standby(0xb70b3930)
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): do_output_standby(0xb70b3930)
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): start_output_stream
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): path = /proc/asound/card0/stream0
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): sampleRate: 44100
    E/usb_audio_hw( 120): pcm_open() failed: cannot set hw params: Invalid argument
    after stopping the music, the error stops and I get those two lines again:
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): out_standby(0xb70b3930)
    D/usb_audio_hw( 120): do_output_standby(0xb70b3930)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Dnerve

Dnerve Active Member

If I understand correctly, your amplifier has a usb sound card of some sort to use instead of the peripheral's/device you hook onto it via usb for better sound right?

If that is the case perhaps this usb device is not compatible with the X8/Android?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. pinnewip

pinnewip New Member

Yes, that's correct. I use optical output for the moment, but usb sound quality is better on this device. The dac I use is from nadelectronics, D-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier

Native support for usb dac in android will come in the new android L version. But some vendors added it already in their firmwares. The minix X7 supports usb dacs. With the X8, there's no option in the stock firmware 001, but in the 002 beta 8, there's is the USB sound option and this is why I was testing this feature with my dac.

I do have sound using the app "USB audio player pro", the sound is limited to only the player, but indicates that the minix hardware is capable of playing sound on my dac.
  4. Dnerve

Dnerve Active Member

Ok, well perhaps the devs can shed some light on your logs then since they enabled that USB sound option.
  5. pinnewip

pinnewip New Member

These are the logfiles, first I played a mp3 for a few seconds with optical output, then I attached the usb dac and played again for a few seconds. While the usb dac is connected, I see that the optical output is disabled.
    no output to USB audio: off
    digital audio auto-detection: off
    digital audio output: pcm
    usb storage with mp3's and airmouse M1 attached

Attached Files:

6. fredphoesh

fredphoesh New Member

Please can we have some comment from the Devs, I have to figure out whether I should keep this lovely box or not!
    BTW I have USB audio out, but only ON or OFF... no volume control.
    tx
    Mark