1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Using Minix as Media server

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by caleb2003, Dec 17, 2017.

1. caleb2003

caleb2003 New Member

Hello I have 2 U1s in my house and current set up is Minix in Lounge has a large usb drive attached and is used (via Kodi) as a media server/share for the other box in my media room and elsewhere. ON the lounge box I have automated RSS on some newsfeeds using Zetatorrent and this is working quite well up to now.

I am wondering if there is more I can do in terms of automation, read a lot about Plex but it seems their server is Windows based, it would be nice to have something that sorts things and organises movies and shows automatically.

If you have gone down a similar road with the minix or other Android box please post your setup or ideas.

Thanks

2. knutmi

knutmi New Member

I have installed BubbleUPnP server/render (costs abut 3,5 dollar and is very good mantained/updated.) on my U1 and an old Neo X-5. Both boxes are connected via hdmi to TV-screen and also Optical SPDIF cable to my amplifiers. I'm also using BubbleUPnP on our android phones/tablets as a control point. We are very satisfied. I have music files stored an my NAS and I'm also streaming Tidal-HiFi with BubbleUPnP. I have used this upset for several years and this is extremely stable and with good HiFi sound. OBS: Android do have limitations on HighDef-MusicFiles. http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

3. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

I have 2 Minix boxes myself, 2 nvidia Shield Tablets, 2 mobile phones and 3 laptops. ALL of them are setup to see my media files on my NAS on my local network. Using USB drives these days is just old technology and setup. You need to move forward and spend money on a dedicated network attached server so that all devices can see the same information in the same place. By making each device a specific IP ADDRESS on the router, you ensure that all of them see the same IP address of the NAS and the therefore if the router or device is switched off, it will start up and connect automatically with the correct IP address EVERY time. No duplicate connections that cause issues.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

skynet likes this.
  4. babuja

babuja New Member

Hi guys, i already have a Qnap NAS in the office and it works great. However, i would like a cheaper solution to a media center server for home use. My question is:

- should a get a android based minix to build my media server? How?

- should I instead get a windows/Linux based to build media sever, with kodi, plex, embi for example?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

A nas is not really a media center but a network storage solution.
    Yes a minix is a media center (Kodi, Plex, ..) but need storage. The best solution is to have both.
    My advice is to buy a cheap Nas (WD, Synology, Qnap) for storage then to connect it to a Minix (U1 or better, U9-H) to manage and play all movies/musics ..
    If you don't have money to buy a Nas and have an old PC, you can built a Xpenology solution ;)

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/help-please-recommend-me-a-4-bay-nas.19399/

Adam Foreman likes this.
  6. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Exactly, I have an 8TB NAS WD MYBOOK LIVE DUO. Then using Kodi on my MINIX U1 or Nvidia Shield, I point the folders to the appropriate folders on my network NAS. Example TV SHOWS, MOVIES, MUSIC and PHOTOS. The NAS will distribute everything on the fly to any device on your network. Make sure you set a STATIC IP ADDRESS for your NAS so that all devices find the files every time regardless of power outages, reboots etc. Personally, I would advise you NOT to use Plex Server. You don't need it with a NAS. The NAS acts as the server. So all you need is Kodi. Job done.

7. babuja

babuja New Member

Hi guys, i already have a qnap NAS at the office but it's a very expensive solution for media center use.

I thought to build a media center server to be able to stream using HDMI to a main TV but also to other devices on Wi-Fi.

Not sure if this can be done with android U1 unit, maybe using some app or rather with a windows based unit.

8. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

When you say expensive, how much are you talking about because a MINIX U1 is still £90 to £100 on Amazon right now.

And your Qnap NAS is the same price. What's more, the U1 doesn't have any storage space to make use as a server. You still need storage to stream. So what are you using because I'm a little confused

9. babuja

babuja New Member

My Qnap TS-251+ plus 2x4T red WD HDD cost around 750$...that's expensive for a home media center server.

At this moment i'm not using anything at home...my qnap is ate the office.

Can the U1 with HDD attached stream over wifi to other devices on the network?

10. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

You do realise that you got ripped off by that deal? That's way too expensive for what you got!

Your NAS is £175 plus 2tb red drives = £216

Total =£391

11. skynet

You can find a 2 bays WD NAS in Amazon for 169€

12. babuja

babuja New Member

This is a 2 years old deal (more or less)...is like buying a S6 now and 2 years ago.

But even now where would you buy a TS251+ plus 2x4Tb WD Red?

13. babuja

babuja New Member

Thanks skynet, but do I need one? Can't a U1 android base with HDD attached stream to several devices? Or a windows based minix?

14. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

The prices I got were from Amazon UK. Red drives are easy to buy. Plus do you need 8TB? What I mean is, buy 1 4tb now and then buy another 4tb when you have money.

15. babuja

babuja New Member

Empty NAS...add 2x4Tb WD red

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
  16. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

Here is a qnap 2 bay NAS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
  17. skynet

Sorry guys, i deleted the screenshots, commercials links are forbiden here.
    Can you just give the product name and the website ?

18. babuja

babuja New Member

Sorry about that, and that's off-topic.

Main question is: will U1 android based work properly to work as a media center server and stream over Wi-Fi to sever devices on the network? Please share you experience. Or should rather use a windows based equipment?

19. jackie999

jackie999 Member

My simple little set up (WAY basic compared to these suggestions) is to run sickbeard, nzbgetmobile and sambadroid on my old x7 (running 24/7) ..downloads are saved to it's attached USB HDD. On my new U9 I run Archos Media player and it searches the x7 USB HDD and displays ( in what I figure is the nicest library I could find) on the U9 for viewing. As I said ..very basic, but works :)

20. babuja

babuja New Member

Thanks for you feedback. Is your x7 rooted?