1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Using Minix as Media server

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by caleb2003, Dec 17, 2017.

1. caleb2003

caleb2003 New Member

Hello I have 2 U1s in my house and current set up is Minix in Lounge has a large usb drive attached and is used (via Kodi) as a media server/share for the other box in my media room and elsewhere. ON the lounge box I have automated RSS on some newsfeeds using Zetatorrent and this is working quite well up to now.

I am wondering if there is more I can do in terms of automation, read a lot about Plex but it seems their server is Windows based, it would be nice to have something that sorts things and organises movies and shows automatically.

If you have gone down a similar road with the minix or other Android box please post your setup or ideas.

Thanks
  2. knutmi

knutmi New Member

I have installed BubbleUPnP server/render (costs abut 3,5 dollar and is very good mantained/updated.) on my U1 and an old Neo X-5. Both boxes are connected via hdmi to TV-screen and also Optical SPDIF cable to my amplifiers. I'm also using BubbleUPnP on our android phones/tablets as a control point. We are very satisfied. I have music files stored an my NAS and I'm also streaming Tidal-HiFi with BubbleUPnP. I have used this upset for several years and this is extremely stable and with good HiFi sound. OBS: Android do have limitations on HighDef-MusicFiles. http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html
  3. Adam Foreman

Adam Foreman Member

I have 2 Minix boxes myself, 2 nvidia Shield Tablets, 2 mobile phones and 3 laptops. ALL of them are setup to see my media files on my NAS on my local network. Using USB drives these days is just old technology and setup. You need to move forward and spend money on a dedicated network attached server so that all devices can see the same information in the same place. By making each device a specific IP ADDRESS on the router, you ensure that all of them see the same IP address of the NAS and the therefore if the router or device is switched off, it will start up and connect automatically with the correct IP address EVERY time. No duplicate connections that cause issues.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    skynet likes this.