1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Wake On LAN WOL Not Working on Z83-4

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by rlehs, Mar 4, 2017.

1. rlehs

rlehs New Member

I have a new (3/1/17) Minix Neo Z83-4 that I have installed the new version 1.4 bios provided by Minix in this forum. I have gone into the bios and turned on the wake on LAN wol function. I have also for general purposes turned off sleep mode based on inactivity in windows 10. I have both logmein and an asus router that can send wake on LAN request from both within my network and also outside of it. But once I shutdown my Z83-4 I am unable to wake it. It is direct 1gb cabled with a cat6 cable into one of the ports on my router. I have some Dell desktops that I also have wol configured and they wake up without any issues. Do I need to configure something else in the bios or with the efficient power setting to get wake on LAN to work? Other suggestions from others who have this configured and working? Thanks
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Wake on LAN works but you need to "Shut down" Z83-4 = off,
    not "Sleep" = screen off only, not off so you can't wake it.

Please try.
    Villa likes this.
  3. rlehs

rlehs New Member

I did the shutdown function from Windows 10 as you noted and I'm still unable to get WOL functioning. I've included a page from my Logmein Console that shows another computer in the same LAN environment that has WOL activated so I know it functions in this LAN. But the Z83-4 doesn't show a Wakeup option. I also have a Magic Packet option in my ASUS Router to wakeup pc's and that doesn't work either? Ideas?
    PS 533.JPG PS 534.JPG
  4. MINIX - Ken

Hi, we are sure the above method works because we have been telling some of our business clients the same thing and it's ok?
  5. James Beaumont

James Beaumont New Member

hi, for me wake-on-lan does indeed work when the z83 is off but not, as you say, when in sleep mode. This seems odd, as normally it is when the pc is sleeping that I want to wake it and use it. your comment that sleep only turns off the screen isnt' what I see as when in sleep mode i cannot ping the z83 or connect to it in any way - so I have to be physically at the machine to wake it (e.g. with keyboard or mouse), which isn't ideal. What am I missing?
  6. MINIX - Ken

It works that way because Z8350 is primarily designed as a mobile processor for tablet, not a desktop processor.
  7. rbuhl11

rbuhl11 New Member

Is it possible to wake up the Z83-4 on WIFI?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I do not understand the difference.

"Shut down" Z83-4 = off,
    not off so you can't wake it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
  8. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

It's pretty simple really!
    Shut down the device if you want to use WOL
  9. diqipib

diqipib New Member

Hi. I've got the same trouble with Z83-4. It doesn't wake by WOL. All other computers in the net wakes normaly. I used EtherDetect, to check if wol packet comes to Z83-4:
    screenshot (open)

[​IMG]

It doesn't wake up in sleep mode, neither in shutted down state.

BIOS: CHT0A160

Ethernet Driver Version: Realtek 10.13.1223.2016

Please, tell me, what am I doing wrong ? :unsure:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      304.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  10. Andronym

Andronym New Member

This Driver doesn't work, I had the same problem with WOL. Download the original MINIX Drivers from this link. Go to divice manager and install driver manually.

Greetings
  11. diqipib

diqipib New Member

Andronym, thanks for reply. Please, can You tell me where in this archive I could find driver for Ethernet realtek adapter (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) ? o_O

Thats what I see:

upload_2017-11-3_0-17-21.png
  12. Andronym

Andronym New Member

Diqipib, sorry. I realized there is no driver to install from MINIX.
    I had same problem, WOL doesn't work whit earlier installed driver V.10.xx from Realtek. My currently installed and working LAN drivers V.9.xx was installed within Windows.
    Try to uninstall completely currently installed drivers (check the box "uninstall installed software") from device manager and rescan for new devices. Now the installed Realtek LAN driver version should be v.9.xx.

If needed I can tell you the exact Version of LAN driver later. At moment I'm not at home.

I think this device can't be waking up from sleep because of connected standby feature, it's a new kind of sleep for mobile devices. But wake up device when it is off works for me since I'm back to v9.xx.

Cheers
  13. diqipib

diqipib New Member

Andronym, thanks for Your reply ) ! Please can You share Your driver. I still can't find working version 9.X.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017 at 6:23 PM
  14. Andronym

Andronym New Member

Did you try to uninstall currently installed Drivers completly as I mentioned in post#12?

My Driver is from Microsoft not Realtek. Version 9.1.406.2015 and was installed automatically by Windows when I completly uninstall Drivers from Realtek (Version 10.x.x).
    Unbenannt.PNG