1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Which SD Card?

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by saint_david, Jan 5, 2017.

1. saint_david

saint_david New Member

Could somebody recommend a 128GB sd card to use in this device? My z83 arrived this morning but wont detect when my card is inserted (it's inserted properly, upside down) however it will detect the card if it's connected via a USB card reader.
  2. Rayways

Rayways New Member

Hi @saint_david !
    I received an sd card (Samsung EVO+ 128GB) couple of days ago, that I wanted to use with my NEO z83-4. I just slid it in the TF slot all the way, but had concerns it is not engaged with the reader's cradle. I thought, I'll have to send the PC back for tech guys to get it out for me. Then I tried to push it again with my nail, and I got that "springy" effect I was after. So, once the sd card was properly engaged with the reader's cradle (clicked in, like in some phones), then the card showed up in Windows Explorer for me to reformat and use it as intended. HTH
    saint_david and Villa like this.
  3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

As @Rayways said, is the card inserted fully? You need to feel the spring/click action!
    Which card do you have?
  4. saint_david

saint_david New Member

Thanks for the responses.

The card is definitely inserted correctly and after a few attempts was detected in windows. The problem is, after rebooting windows will longer detect the card or if it does windows explorer hangs for several minutes until it eventually becomes available.

The best method i'f found for detecting the card once its inserted is to disable the sd slot via device manager and then re-enable it, at which point it usually becomes available until rebooting - then I have to repeat the procedure again :(
  5. Villa

Is Windows updated to the latest version?
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/no-micro-sd-cards-are-regonized.15064/
  6. saint_david

saint_david New Member

Yes, 1607. The card also works fine when connected through a USB card reader.
  7. saint_david

saint_david New Member

If the unit is faulty, where do I go from here?
  8. Villa

9. srjuanjo

srjuanjo New Member

Is it possible to put a 64gb micro sd card and use it as the main partition, I mean install windows on it and all that stuff.

There is any option to fusion the sd card with the hard disk, so that windows thinks that it has only one hd but with mor space on it?..

As you can image my minix is runing out of free storage space... :-(

Thank you!
  10. Villa

http://www.howtogeek.com/234998/how-to-install-apps-to-an-sd-card-or-another-drive-on-windows-10/
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/re-install-windows-on-64gb-micro-sd.15307/
  11. saint_david

saint_david New Member

Just to add, I'm having issues with the usb 3 port dropping out now as well. Think I'm going to have to return it.
  12. sergio_spina

sergio_spina New Member

Hello everyone!
    In the z83-4's user manual, is indicated that the capacity of TF card is up to 64gb. Is this true or can i use TF card with larger capacity? Thanks in advance!

Inviato dal mio P9000 utilizzando Tapatalk
  13. Villa

I think 128 and 256 should be good too but we need someone who has tried to say! :)
    @Rayways how is your 128GB card performing?
  14. Rayways

Rayways New Member

@Villa @sergio_spina I decided to use the microSD card to keep things tidy, as it slots in the reader and stays barely visible. The Samsung EVO+ 128GB was detected straight away. It came pre-formatted as exFAT, which is perfect to be used as file storage (can read on both PC and mobile devices). Particularly Google Drive being picky on file system made me chose to format the microSD card into NTFS (good only as a permanent storage for PC). I should have done the formatting on my main PC, because it took well over two hours on NEO z83-4 to complete. The storage capacity is the same in both file systems with 119GB available after formatting.

I put my Google Drive folder on it, and changed the target locations for my User folders in Windows File Explorer as well on the microSD card. Did not want to mess around with SYMLINKS, just created a folder in microSD card "D:\Software Installed" and where possible gave this destination when installing software (I know this only partially uses the new destination, but does help to ease the burden on internal storage).

I used SpeedOut to get a rough idea of read/right performance for my microSD card (see attached png).

I am still to experiment with the SSD in a caddy used as storage for NEO z83-4, keeping in mind some users reporting connection dropouts/losses on USB3. I am keeping an eye on some threads on this forum, and hope to see details and guides for putting Windows on USB3 drive and use as a main storage successfully.

I can not report any connection issues with my microSD card used as the second permanent storage.

Attached Files:

Villa likes this.
  15. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We tested 256gb and is ok.
    Villa likes this.
  16. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

That is a software (driver) issue and is not our hardware problem, we've already reported to Intel.
    saint_david likes this.