1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Which XBMC for Minix?

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 010 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by Menorca Man, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member

Given that this FOTA firmware update has been out for more than three weeks now I'm somewhat disappointed that the usual info regarding .rar, .zip and apk files have yet to materialise.

In the meantime, can anybody tell me which version of XBMC for Minix is officially approved for use with this latest firmware?
  2. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Try checking the XBMC for minix thread
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. Menorca Man

Thanks for your reply but I've checked that sub-forum a number of times in the past before posing my question and found it was no help at all in this regard. In fact I've previously voiced my opinion that the XBMC for Minix sub-forum as it currently stands is a bit of a dogs dinner!!

As far as I can see, the latest version of XBMC for Minix is V16.3_20160911. However, this only appears in the Neo U1 Official Firmware FW009A thread.

The latest version of XBMC for the Neo X8-H Plus is V15.3_20160313 as detailed in the Neo X8-H Plus Official Firmware 009 thread. Hence reason for my question. :confused::)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Well seeing as V 16.3 is still a beta version the one officially approved would be V 15.3
    Wouldn't you agree
  5. Menorca Man

Yes I'm aware that V16.3 is still in Beta. However, if Minix can confirm that it's compatible with Neo X8-H Plus FW010 then surely it should be detailed in this new FW010 thread (with the caveat that it's a Beta version) as it is in the Neo U1 thread?
  6. mark2

mark2 Active Member

7. Menorca Man

Mark, I know you are trying to be helpful but pointing me in the direction of the XBMC for Minix doesn't provide the answer I'm looking for.

XBMC for Minix V16.3_20160911 (Beta) was developed in conjunction with Neo U1 firmware FW009A (20160816) in order to overcome specific problems being experienced on the U1. I know some users have installed V16.3 Beta on various other Minix boxes but with mixed results. Therefore, what I'm after is a statement from Minix as to which version of XBMC for Minix (be it Final or Beta) can be installed on the Neo X8-H Plus in conjunction with FOTA FW010 without the risk of it causing known problems.

I am responsible for looking after the configuration of my own Minix box plus those of 7 friends (two X6s, one X8 Plus, two X8-H Pluses and three U1s in total). The three U1s, like all the others, have been set up by me but are now located in UK. Obviously I need to make doubly sure that whatever gets installed on my friends boxes (particularly those in the UK) doesn't cause them problems. For me to do otherwise could well put a strain on a few of my friendships!!! ;)
  8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

For what it's worth, I have always used Kodi installed from the Play Store and I do not particularly have any issues.
  9. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

and for me i always use spmc with no issues partly because as @Menorca Man has identified "the XBMC for Minix sub-forum as it currently stands is a bit of a dogs dinner" ...and nigh on impossible to work out what version of minix xbmc is for what model.

Again a plea for someone at Minix to sort this out...i can see that you (@Villa ) has tried , and thanks for that, but its not clear for which minix model different versions are for :unsure:

also this caught me by surprise a little as i must have missed any announcement that FW010 for x8h plus was out :oops:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Menorca Man, sangaz and midnight like this.
  10. Menorca Man

I agree with @Frederick_99 and, indeed, had made the very same point in the XBMC for Minix Releases forum way back in May (http://minixforum.com/threads/last-xbmc-for-minix-official-release.11457/#post-98772).

Personally, I would like to see a dedicated Sticky thread for XBMC under each of the different Minix boxes with the first post detailing the latest version (and download link) for that particular box. I realise that this would probably lead to multiple repeats of the same information but so be it. At least it would be far better than the disjointed and confusing situation we currently have.
    Villa likes this.
  11. MrBig

MrBig Member

I second @Villa . I always use the XBMC from the play store and it runs flawlessly. I always have the latest official build and never have issues.
    Villa likes this.