1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Why I can't update to 007 my rooted device via FOTA?

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 007 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by bloom, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloom

bloom New Member

How come it's so difficult to allow people do what the want with their device?
    For example Minix Z64A already rooted from the box. Why you don't want to do so with X8-H Plus?
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

No Minix device comes pre-rooted. If you got a z64 with root then your reseller has rooted it (against minix advice).
    I've yet to buy any phone/tablet/TV box etc where the manufacturer supplies it rooted.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  3. bloom

bloom New Member

Ok, Minix don't like rooting, but in general it's devices is used by enthusiast who might needed in rooting their devices. Why it's getting easier for Minix to make harder life of their customer by adding such a strange option in OTA updates. My next device definitely wont' be a minix one, only because of this.
    Company have to think how make a life of it's customer easier, not opposite. Better think about reducing bug's - like with Youtube Livestream. But you think how to make a root defense, not to kill bugs.
  4. vel tins

vel tins Member

just updated to 007 on my rooted device without any issues.
    Only thing is, you have to re-root.
    So stop whining and better provide a recovery.log, or at least an error message about what went wrong.
  5. bloom

bloom New Member

[​IMG]

You are just lucky that your root wasn't detected by their anti-root defense. :-D
  6. vel tins

vel tins Member

I hardly doubt, that this error message is a "root detection tool" :whistle:
    Anyway, use TWRP.
    Your already rooted, why messing with FOTA?
  7. bloom

bloom New Member

I will loose all my data and settings.
  8. vel tins

vel tins Member

wrong.
  9. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Just in case do this, use a bit of lateral thinking to fit the instructions to your setup/apps, worked for me, even copied over watched/unwatched settings

Copy Files Folder to Transfer to USB

For android if you’re going to copy the xbmc (Kodi whatever......) folder to clone a setup, you need to use a file explorer like ES file explorer that can open hidden files. When you open ES under tools tell it to view hidden files. Make sure you use the same XBMC/Kodi on both the original and target systems.

Then go to android - data - org.xbmc.
    Copy the "Files" folder. On the left side click local then select udisk0. This should be your usb drive. Click the paste button at the bottom.

On Target System

1. Install ES File explorer on the next android box. Install xbmc and then paste the "Files" folder into the same area you copied it from. Tell it to overwrite existing files. And you have a complete setup. This transfers everything. Skins, add-on settings, favorites etc.
  10. vel tins

vel tins Member

you won't loose nothing, using TWRP!
  11. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

12. vel tins

vel tins Member

13. bloom

bloom New Member

Guys, thank you for help in backing up etc. but I was just curious why minix wants to make my life harder. Simple as that.
  14. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Not just MINIX, root will be broken on other devices when operating software updated.
  15. bloom

bloom New Member

I'm glad to lose my root, but just let me update it normally. And don't say that something is damaged.
  16. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

First of all, please name one single Android device brand that sell their devices pre-rooted. Second, Google or major brands do not "allow" this without voiding the product warranty. 3rd you can always root "any" android device if you know what you are doing and you have specific needs.
    Specifically for Minix, you can simply unroot, upgrade via FOTA, without loosing your data, then root it back. It takes max 15 minutes.
    So where is your issue?
  17. kepners

kepners Member

Are you sure. I got my rooting information etc from here. I don't think it's a big issue.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  18. kepners

kepners Member

Agreed. No issue at all. I will be doing this evening. How do you unroot the device?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

20. kepners

kepners Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.