1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Wi-fi issues

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by tomwirta, Jun 12, 2017.

1. tomwirta

tomwirta New Member

Hello,

My minix u9-h can't almost find my router network signal however the same is only 3 meters far with a wall in between. Other devices such as macbook/iphone/android phone/ are able to find the network signal without problems.

Is this a known issue? Obviously it's affecting the streaming performance.

In case there is nothing wrong with the box, it's possible to buy a better antenna to improve the wi-fi signal of the minix device?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
  2. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

What brand is your wireless router?
    The U9 has an excellent antenna system and supports wireless speeds up to 802.11ac. If you can see your wireless router with other devices at the same location, you should be able to see it with the U9. Is you wifi router broadcasting or hidden? Can you connect at all, and if so what speed? If not do you have DHCP turned on at the router and is it set on the U9?
    Is it possible to run a cat6 cable through the wall to your router, since it is just on the other side of the wall 3 meters away? I only ask because hard wire is always going to be better than wireless.
  3. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Have you attached the external antenna to the hub?
  4. tomwirta

tomwirta New Member

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have the antenna attached.
    I can connect and I always find the network. The problem is that the signal is very low and it affects the internet speed :/
  5. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Is the gold nut on the wifi connector tightened up on the side of the box or can you turn it
  6. tomwirta

tomwirta New Member

good question; going to check it!
  7. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

What connection do you have? 802.11n 2.4 or 5 or 802.11ac? 2.4 GHz band is a pretty crowded, so try to go 5hz, even though 2.4 will penetrate walls better because of the shorter waves. But I don't think it will matter much at a 3 meter length. Also do you have any other wireless devices like cordless phones, cameras, etc, and if so what channel are they on. You may have to change the WIFI channel in the router. Install this to determine the best channel:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  8. Rui Oliveira

Rui Oliveira Active Member

Hi. The best thing for a good wifi signal is open space. You can try change channels but is not going to be much faster. Make sure your router/minix is not blocked (i know IT has a wall between). You can try change The location of The router or your Minix . Personaly i use cable to connect Minix (and other devices ) and Wifi only for mobile devices. My advice for you is gigabit ethernet connection.

Ps: read this :
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/wifi-router-placement-tips_n_6943024.html
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  9. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Yerp. Use Gbit Ethernet with a CTF (Cut-Through-Forwarding) router unless absolutely impossible.
    CTF is supported on many dual-core consumer routers.
    CTF gives you approx 940Mbits over 1Gbit Ethernet compared to ~640Mbits without it.
    Or just use a 1Gbit switched Ethernet LAN and the olde router/modem for WAN connections.

The above WiFi router placement reference documentation gives a good overview.

Also Mirrors (depending on construction) can really impact Wi-Fi too.
    Place a meter over a mirror (WiFi Analyzer - Android) located between router and you can lose up to 10dBm signal.
    In Wi-Fi terms that's a massive loss.

If one is sporting a hipster beard and white coat..(and that's just describing the woman...), there are differences in 5GHz channels where DFS and higher/lower mW transmit power are employed depending on the channels. This is also subject to in country regulations.

And now back to basics, if you have an 802.11ac Wi-Fi router set the 5GHz channel width to 80MHz which will invite any 802.11ac capable devices to use 802.11ac. Also set your Wireless Router Mode to 802.11n for 5GHz as 802.11a (a way of describing a device supports 5GHz) is all but forgotten in time.

If you do NOT have any 802.11g Wi-Fi devices or 8011.b Wi-Fi devices (FitBit scales...are you serious!!!) then also enable 802.11n mode on your 2.4GHz band. As 802.11b/g devices have different channel width and speed, it slows down all devices even those using 802.11n.

Some early 802.11ac adoption devices also like a WiFi router to enforce 802.11h (Yes, I'm look at you Xperia Z1 Compact), but that's a very rare 'problem' case. ... and I digress...

If the Android box and the router are configured to use DHCP and the DHCP pool has been configured correctly and you haven't created any spanning-tree loops and Wi-Fi is in an unobstructed range of approx 10metres... then 95% of the time it should all just work.

Most of the time connection problems are just user/configuration 'whoops'/errors... ;)

A good White Paper overview of 802.11ac can be found at Aruba 802.11ac in depth for those that fancy themselves sporting a hipster beard and white coat. :cool:
    Rui Oliveira likes this.
  10. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

most routers you described don't have those features spelled out for the layman. so they would be lost anyway.
    To increase throughput I use channels 36 to 48, when possible. This may not work all the time but for me it increased my bandwidth significantly.
    A good read for all of this is: (There are many great links about WIFI channels from there. )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-NII#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.29.
  11. Rui Oliveira

Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  12. Dirtylarry

Dirtylarry Member

Not a Minix issue
  13. Rui Oliveira

Hi it depends if he has something to block The Minix Wifi signal or IT location. The location On Minix and router is very important . IT depends On multiple equations/factors
  14. vfc

vfc Member

My U9 h works perfect with Ethernet cable. I get 75 mbps. Soon as I try with wifi it goes down to 22/23 mbps. This is only happening since the latest update to 005.
    Could this update have changed some setting. I am not a very tech person so any suggestion will be welcome.
    thanks
  15. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

5 is now not the latest firmware. NEO U9-H FW006 (20170810) is the latest. If you are not on 6, try updating and see if there is a difference.
    Also, try rebooting router. As you may know, WIFI is subject to router type, location and interference. So cordless phones, electrical wires, walls, distance from wifi router and type of connection will cause speed interference.
  16. vfc

vfc Member

update: I am on update 6. that was my mistake when I wrote 5.
    I have rebooted internet several times. I also do unplug all before sleeping as this is the storm period were I live and 2 years ago we got hit by lightning and all electronics i had were burned out.
    The router is at the back of the telly / minix and that is why I cannot understand how minix wifi gives me download maximum of 25 / upload 10 mbps and connected to minix with ethernet abt 73 / upload 10 mbps.
    Last edited: Today at 8:44 PM
  17. TurocK

TurocK New Member

Same here. I have gigabit network and on Minix u9 i have almost 90mbps on lan cable and almost 50mbpa on wifi. On my PC i have almost 900mmbps on lan cable.
    Router is a Asus RT N56U so my network is not the problem.
    Firmmware on my Minix Neo U9-H is FW006