1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Will the X8, X8 Plus or X8-H get Lollipop

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by Gh0st, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I just got a new mobile phone. It's on KitKat. o_O It cost me nothing! :)
  2. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Hand me down off the wife then:D
    Villa likes this.
  3. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Spot on! (y)
    I've never bought a mobile phone or signed up for a contract. I just have hand me downs and stick with PAYG. Still prefer a simple phone with proper buttons though! :)
  4. dryster

dryster Active Member

When I visit the UK for a few weeks I go to ASDA and buy their basic 30 day SIM for five quid, that gives me 200 minutes and 2000 texts on my bar of soap Nokia, if they say it's no longer compatible this time I visit, my research shows that their entry level option for a mobile phone is eleven quid. It may even be cheaper if I shop around, but I just hope that my Nokia works again. I'll go and check that if I can.
  5. georgica81

georgica81 New Member

it's not about version numbers, it's about dying HD sources and addons because they only work on kodi 17, which only works on android 5.x+. my kids are driving me nuts they cannot watch for the millionth time home alone because only some shitty 240p stream actually works in xbmc 15 or 16, as opposed to a few weeks/month ago when you had a full page of HD sources that worked fine.
  6. rmaijala1

rmaijala1 Member

Try zen just pulled 7 hd sources and 1 1080p source along with about 8 480p sources (gvideo)

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk
  7. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Have you heard about this ??:)

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/general-tv-player-dicussions/xbmc-talk/575588-ftmc
  8. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

of course you could always go and rent/buy the film instead of assuming that all those that are giving you free access owe you something :rolleyes:
    dryster likes this.
  9. Merlinux

Merlinux New Member

So now I am confused after having readen some posts here.

Could you please definitively confirm that it won't be expected to get Lillilop for Neo X8-H Plus in the future? Otherwise when or where to get the upgrade in giving us the link.

I have too many problems now, at first because of kitkat and secondly because I'm bored to be forced to use two apps "external helper pro" and moreover "null input method" since I use a cordless USB "german keyboard", whereby it often happens in the meantime that I am not able to write during a long time. At last I did not find out the apps which prevent me of writing fluently ....

Thanks in advance for the hints.
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

@Merlinux - perhaps it will be better when you install the one off "Hail Mary" Lollipop for the NEO X8-H Plus when it finally arrives, or perhaps not because it is almost guaranteed that not everyone will be happy and you have just highlighted why with your keyboard issue. All the nuances (and annoyances) of a fully optimized lollipop 5.1.1 will not be in the MINIX release as the release is based on a flawed 5.0 SDK from AMLogic which we have been told has not been updated.

This is a no win situation for the MINIX guys, even on the day they release the update for the NEO X8-H Plus there will be an avalanche of messages pouring into these forums from the beta testers of the firmware, plus those with other S8xx based units will still not understand why they don't have the update.

It should be fun. (n)
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. Merlinux

Merlinux New Member

@dryster - thanks for your reply. Then I think I'd rather purchase a new device with at least Android 6.xx. By the way I've discovered Amlogic with 3G/32G etc. But I wonder whether I can use a german keyboard without having to install an app for that, thus for instance to switch between Z and Y. If it is made in China I likely have to face again the same problem :-(
    dryster likes this.
  12. dryster

dryster Active Member

I think I just gravitate towards Android devices every now and again to remind myself that I shouldn't be so annoyed with Windows....;)
    rollingrock likes this.
  13. Merlinux

Merlinux New Member

In fact I purchased last Christmas such a tablet Chuwi with 2 OS (Android 5.xx and Windows 10). There I can only use Android because I have no place any more for installing new apps under Windows 10 after such many automatically updates .... that is crazy!

In the meantime I read reports and Amlogic S912 seems to be good for about 75 €...
  14. dryster

dryster Active Member

It goes off topic, but my expectations for my NEO X8-H Plus are fulfilled with the KitKat operating system, 2G/16G and a Windows 8.1 device I have with 4G/32G purely for TV use. I acknowledge my NEO X6 is struggling, but it was a low end model on release, but still works on a spare TV of mine. I will probably find a U1 in the next year to continue this fascination with Android. I am listening to Schiller and Heppner on my X6 as I type this.

I think future Windows devices should have 4G/64G minimum.
  15. Merlinux

Merlinux New Member

As long as you can manage your files with Kitkat it should not be a trouble for you. It is indeed the main problem for me with Neo X8-H Plus because files are not saved correctly on external card or drive. In fact I just purchased it in order to be able to install more apps within the internal storage which is generally limited up to 1 or 2 GB in other devices.

By the way Minix U9 apparently looks better than Minix U1, doesn't it?
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  16. midnight

Some growing pains currently but it should and it is expected to surpass the U1.:)
  17. dryster

dryster Active Member

Indeed. and the price difference is around 25% so the logical choice is the U9-H but I tend to lurk and buy used, so I'll be watching for a U1.
  18. Lawson

Lawson New Member

solidmeister likes this.
  19. rollingrock

rollingrock Member

You realise you can easily change the skin back to confluence.
  20. midnight

I'm sure he knows !:)