1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Will the Z64-A receive a Lollipop update

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Android OS' started by Gh0st, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

After talking with John I can let you all know that unfortunately the answer is no.

It is for the same reason as the X8, X8 Plus and X8-H.
    Intel like AMLogic with the X8s do not support newer firmware revisions so it is technically impossible for MINIX to update it to lollipop and beyond.

You may notice that the Z83-4 did not release with Android, there are a couple reasons for that. Intel has dropped it's support for Android altogether and the Z64-A was not a very big seller for MINIX.

I understand your frustration but it is not something in the control of MINIX..

Unfrotunately your best solution for Kodi 17+ is to switch the box over to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
    You will then be able to always update to the latest Kodi, and you'll get HD netflix and youtube.
    The cost should be less than buying a new box.
    smap and Villa like this.
  2. Kophead

Kophead New Member

mg64ve likes this.
  3. mg64ve

mg64ve New Member

4. mg64ve

mg64ve New Member

I am not very confident with this topic, what kind of Windows do we need?

Inviato dal mio E39 utilizzando Tapatalk
  5. Kophead

Kophead New Member

I'm just Googling here as I'm in same boat but this video might help

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

@Kophead @mg64ve
    I have moved your posts from the X8-H Plus thread to this one.
    Villa likes this.
  7. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. Gh0st

Sorry guys I wanted to add more info etc. But it's really late here and I have an early start in the morning.
    There is most of the info you need in the forum here.
    We're all here to help as well.
    Thankfully going from Android to Windows is a faster and less painful experience than going from Windows to Android.
    You can just bypass Win 8.1 though and go straight to Win 10.
    The ISO is available from the MS website and I think it's a 30 day trial. If it's not what you want then you can always go back to Android.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    Villa likes this.
  9. Kophead

Kophead New Member

Is it just a normal Windows 10 we work with? I ask as Windows 8.1 was with bing!

10. Kophead

Kophead New Member

11. Villa

Try now!
  12. Villa

Windows 10 Home (32-Bit) is probably the best option!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    midnight likes this.
  13. Kophead

Kophead New Member

Thanks and link works so thanks again

14. Villa

Let us know how you get on. (y)
    Hope it goes well! :)
  15. macarmagh

macarmagh New Member

Thanks for the information.

But I don't think I'll be spending anymore money on this device, for SW licenses or otherwise as it seems to limp from one issue to another. Even when issues that I'm experiencing are also reported by other users, most of the time there is no solution for them, it's just not worth the hassle.

I'll admit that I was sucked in by the marketing at the time, how the Intel platform was the future and regular updates being released, automatic updates, etc, etc and considering it was more expensive than similar and arguably better products, it's all turned out a bit disappointing which is a shame. It's the last Minix product that I'll purchase.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
  16. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Thank-you for the clarification @ Ghost !... I plan on leaving mine on KitKat until I feel the need or benefit in turning it into a Windows unit. My kids use it regularly and they are not complaining ......yet ;)
    dryster and Villa like this.
  17. Gh0st

Unfortunately things can't go to plan if the actual chipset maker decide to drop Android support altogether. It wouldn't matter if you had have bought a $800 phone with this chipset in it or a $80 cheap box. You'd be in the exact same position.
    Windows does actually run nicely on it... Is it worth spending $100... that's up to you. If you spend that $100 on some cheap box then I can guarantee you'll be in this exact same position in the future. At least with Windows you'll have future proofed yourself to a degree.
  18. Villa

Why have you signed up with a new username? o_O
    Did you not want us to know who you are? ;)

One username must be removed!
  19. Kophead

Kophead New Member

Just to let you guys know I did install Windows it was a pain free process and I'm surprised how well the Z64 runs it. So there is plenty of life left in this little box.

Villa likes this.
  20. Fabiano Correa

Fabiano Correa New Member

Please
    it doesnt recognice my flash drive when i type cd /efi/boot/ its says invalid parameter i typed
    I'm stucked at windows 10 instalation.