1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Windows 10 Creators update

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by amcohen, Apr 8, 2017.

1. FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy New Member

What would be nice is an official fix from the manufacturer.
  2. amcohen

amcohen New Member

And also it would be a good idea to run "Disk Cleanup" to remove the old version of Windows.
    Rayways likes this.
  3. ResidentOrca

ResidentOrca New Member

I performed a clean install using the tips provided by @CptDobey. The key for me was deleting all of the existing partitions as shown in post #28. On my first attempt I tried reformatting the exiting OS partition while leaving the others intact but that did not work. The Creator Edition update works flawlessly after reinstalling the missing drivers.
    CptDobey likes this.
  4. stefxx

stefxx New Member

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I decided to remove the 16MB partition and extend the system partition from 64 to 80MB. I did not change the C partition. After that, the Creators Update installed successfully.
  5. callmecresto

callmecresto New Member

Why does my C drive only show 28.6 gb of free space on the c drive? Is windows really taking up over half of the 64gb? The only things I've installed is chrome and dish anywhere, yet I am only showing 8 gb of free space. What the hell is going on?
  6. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

The Z83-4 has a 32 GB harddrive, as far as I know... I don't know how you can have 28.6 free, as W10 is taking about half of that 32 GB.
  7. callmecresto

callmecresto New Member

You're right. It's a measly 32gb. I need to get an external. Why do i only show 8 gb of free space? Feels like 32 gb is really only good for the OS.
  8. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

I do not get it.
    You talked first of 28.6 out of 64, and now 8 out of 32...
  9. callmecresto

callmecresto New Member

I stated incorrectly, dobey. It shows i have 28.6 gb available out of 32 (now that I know that). The thing is, i only have 8 gb of free space with little to nothing installed/downloaded. So, the is taking up 20 gb?
  10. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

For years, hard drive manufacturers do not count the GB as we do. Form them, One GB = 1000 MB = 1.000.000 KB = 1.000.000.000 Bytes.
    Windows is counting them correctly with multiple of 1024.
    So, 32.000.000.000 bytes = 30,5 GB.
    More over, there is two hidden partitions, taking about 512 MB.
    Here is what I have after a fresh install on the Minix: http://www.minixforum.com/attachments/diskmanagement-jpg.4857/
    Nothing unusual ;)

Try to run Disk Cleanup as an Administrator, a tool included in Windows. It will clean temporary files, previous Windows install, patch... You can gain some GB from this action.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10
  11. mark2

mark2 Active Member

12. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

13. mark2

mark2 Active Member

It's the same tool as you mentioned Disk cleanup but it don't automatically select
    Temporary windows installation files just temporary files
  14. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

Just run it as an Administrator (right click -> Run as Administrator)

I did it more than 10 times on various computers since W10 is out...
  15. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Not disagreeing with you but no mention of Administrator
    Step 1. Go to Start and type 'Disk Cleanup'.

Step 2. Open Disk Cleanup and select your main system drive.
    The tool will scan your drive for unnecessary files and old cached data. However the Windows.old directory won't be accounted for.

Step 3. Select the option "Clean up system files" near the bottom of the window. Select your main drive again and the scan process will be repeated.

Step 4. The result of the scan will display different types of data, from Recycle Bin files to temporary internet cache. This time around, "Temporary Windows installation files" will be there, accounting from as little as 9GB to as much as 25GB, or more.

Step 5. Select all the files you want to remove, including the Windows installation files. Click OK. Then confirm the subsequent prompts.
  16. CptDobey

CptDobey Member

If you run it as an Admin, you're skiping step 1 and 2 ;)
  17. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Noted for future reference (y)
  18. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all,

1.) Similar problem happened when Windows 10 1607 was released last year, while 8GB was needed, Windows update assistant asked for 20GB.
    2.) Microsoft fixed that months after.
    3.) This time is also a Microsoft's problem.
    4.) Microsoft do not intend to release this update to any devices, they are doing it gradually to observe problems as well.
    5.) DO NOT fxxk your machines up, just be patient to wait for MS's fixes.
    6.) You can survive without this update.
    7.) It brings more troubles than good for upgrading to it, at least for now it is.
    Villa likes this.
  19. MINIX - Ken

What you were describing happened last year as well, when Windows 10 1607 was released.
    Don't use the assistant tool, wait for the push notice to come to the machine.
    Microsoft do not intend to release this update to all devices at a time, initially it's targeted for there own Surface machines first.
    "To test water".
  20. MINIX - Ken

This is why Windows update assistant is not a recommended way to update.