1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Windows Server 2012 R2

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by jazzstang, Jul 21, 2017.

1. jazzstang

jazzstang New Member

Hello Minix users!

I'm about to buy Minix Z83 machine and I was wondering if it is possible to run Windows Server 2012 on it? Did anyone tried it? Will I be able to install it?

Thank you!
  2. mf_2

mf_2 New Member

I just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 on my brand new Z83. It works fine.
    However, I am running into a problem when trying to create a Domain Controller. It always says that the paths for the AD logs (SYSVOL, NTDS) are not valid. I have left them at default settings (C:\windows\NTDS, C:\windows\SYSVOL).
    Apparently the hard disk is invalid (?!)
  3. mf_2

mf_2 New Member

So I have been researching this and also asked the folks over at the Microsoft TechNet forums. They confirmed that Windows expects at least 60GB of free space or so on the hard disk drive used for SYSVOL and NTDS.
    Since the 32GB flash memory is fixed and the Z83 offers no SATA ports I guess that I cannot run a Domain Controller on this.
    So I switched machines with my Office Web Apps Server 2013 and this installed flawlessly. Although do not expect any land speed records when opening Office files on such an OWAS.