1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

[WORKS] 6TB HDD in USB 3.0 powered dock

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Dr Goodvibes, May 6, 2015.

1. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Model: X8H-Plus
    Firmware: 004
    USB: 2.0

Dock: Welland Speed Master USB 3.0 dock (ME-604E)
    Disk: WD 6TB Green HDD
    Format: NTFS GPT 4KB block size in one ~5.6TB partition.

Downloaded a 13GB .mkv movie using ES File Explorer copy/paste to the 6TB HDD at 25MB/s (write) over 1Gbit Ethernet.

Movie played fine in MX Player Pro.

So, just a heads-up that a 6TB partitioned HDD can be used, if required, with the Minix X8H-Plus.

This is more about proof of concept than a daily working solution.
    I would not recommend such a configuration for daily use, as the 6TB HDD costs more than the Minix box and such large drives would be better utilised/supported in a bespoke NAS (Network Attached Storage) as a long term solution, where they can be better shared across your LAN and accessed by your Minix box.

Note - WDC Green drives would not be used/recommend in NAS storage
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    lizeey, DJMX and yhadie69 like this.
  2. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I mainly used one of my 5TB external drives as a storage drive. So I decided to mount it to my X8H-Plus and leave it there and network to it using SMB (Samba). It works flawlessly. All my movies access faster and play way better. And I can still copy to and from the drive via the network with no issues whatsoever. And after running tests, the throughput through the network is the same as if it was mounted to another PC or Router/Switch that supports it. And the fact that these days my video and music collection has become larger than my backup and data files, it became a better solution for me. I can still access it from pretty much anywhere and reap the benefit of faster 4K movie access and streaming. Food for thought.
  3. l3z1

l3z1 New Member

Well would a 1TB harddrive be good for everyday use? To be permanently connected to the X8H-plus?
  4. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

personally i think a NAS drive is better because it potentially provides easy access from all your LAN devices
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  5. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I have a 5TB external drive attached directly to the X8H-Plus. I have access to it from all my LAN devices. I am using SMB configuration on the TV box and map the drive using the IP address on all my devices. I also access it remotely, using my router and a DMZ, and/or port forwarding configuration.
    The reason I did this is because I like having the faster access to my movie files stored on the drive. The drive is mainly for network storage of backups, archives, audio and video files and pics. So it accesses faster connected directly to the TV box, for my day to day use. Copying to and from the drive is just as fast as if I was copy through the network from other devices. I only wish the TV box had USB 3.0.
  6. l3z1

l3z1 New Member

But a NAS would mean an extra device right? I wouldn't want to invest more money into this..

That sounds pretty good. How complicated is it to cofigure SMB on this device?
  7. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

@l3z1, Not hard at all. The latest firmware supports it right from the main setup screen.
  8. l3z1

l3z1 New Member

Thanks, glad to hear. I'm probably going to buy it soon (only worry is the price - the tronsmart miii is 60$ and doesn't seem to be any different from this one)
  9. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I've purchased just about all the cheap boxes and quite a few over $100.00 US, for customers. I'm narrowed down to just a couple of choices now, this one being my first. Make sure you read the comments before you purchase. Weed through the fake ones and find the real user postings. You'll find great info on Google and/or YouTube for your choices. A lot are inferior built boxes out there, get hot and lock up, just plain lock up, video lag, XBMC/KODI lock and even have some fabricated specs.
    I just checked the specs on the one you mentioned. They are not the same. It has 8GB less storage. Trust me when I say you want 16GB, especially if you are going to setup XBMC/KODI with a lot of addons.
    It does not support a/c wireless.
    looks like it has one less USB port.
    Ethernet is only 1/100. It's nice to have GB if you are going to stream off a network drive.
    Lastly, the reviews on Amazon are terrible.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Villa likes this.
  10. l3z1

l3z1 New Member

Yeah the fact that ot is hard to trust that brand is the reason I didn't buy it tight away. The x8h plus has great reviews, forums and videos on YouTube. I think you're right, it's probably worth the money.
  11. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

As @Frederick_99 has written a NAS is an essential component of any LAN or even extended WAN these days.
    A Minix Box is not designed as a robust mature/distributed data network service.
  12. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

First of all, in most MINIX user's environments, we are talking about home users setups, which may not even know what a NAS is.
    Secondly, not all networks are equal in efficiency and speed.
    Third it also depends on whether we are talking about benefits for the MINIX environment or total environment.

With that said, on a regular Windows network environment, after extensive testing, I found there is no advantage to having the external drive on any other location, (including NAS), other than the MINIX box, if you prefer to have the faster access on the MINIX box, with a couple of exceptions. This is especially true if you want fast access to your huge large file videos/movies, with virtually no network lag or buffering issues, and your large external drive is being used, more, for the purpose of movie storage and less for other storage. Let's face it, if you have a large movie collection, you will more than likely be using your X-Drive for accessing them, over other data access.
    IMHO it is never wise to install and programs on an external drive, although lots of user do just that.
    Exceptions:
    1. If you are using the X-drive primarily to run programs on a main PC, or you are accessing large amounts of data on a daily basis from that PC.
    2. The X-drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port on a main PC, with a network of 1GB or greater. Even then the throughput to and from the drive may not be as fast for sing movies, as if it was directly connected to the MINIX box. Other PCs on the network may also experiencing slower access.

Like I stated I did extensive testing of throughput, on a normal Windows network environment, and found installing the X-drive directly to the USB 2.0 port on the MINIX box, gives better throughput for movie or large file playback. The only device on the network that would suffer, would be the PC that originally had the X-drive directly installed to it.
    And again, if you need the faster throughput to be used for other reasons than the MINIX box, then this would be a moot point.

My home network is 1 Dual Quad Core Dell PowerEdge Server (6 3TB drives), 2 Quad Core Mini Tower PCs, 2 Quad Core Notebooks, various Ipads, Drobo 5N, 2-5TB external drives (one on the MINIX NEO X8H PLUS), 1 ONT, 1 main wireless GB router, 2 bridged wireless routers, 1 Apple Airport Express, 1-24 port GB switch, 1-8 port GB switch. All PCs can send to and receive from the X-drive on the MINIX box, with no issues or degradation. Again, so there is no confusion, I'm specifying that the advantage of the X-drive direct connection is for the better environment for the MINIX box.
  13. Frederick_99

my guess is that more people know what a NAS is than X-Drive
    I have perfectly fast enough access to all my media for playback on the Minix using a NAS
  14. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

FUNNY:)
    I was shortening EXTERNAL DRIVE to X-DRIVE.:) I didn't realize it could confuse someone.
    The hype of a NAS is over-rated. Just because you centralize a cluster of hard drives, does not necessarily mean it will automatically be faster. The calculations of the speed of the entire environment is what really matters in the end. How fast are the hard drives, controller, connection, etc. Create a NAS and install it on a 100mbps network, like so many users have, and it will be slow, compared to being on a faster network. So a NAS is not always more beneficial. It's just a great way to build mass storage in one box. Years ago we did it with File Servers (large tower with 6+ large SCSII drives. Now in my field, we use dual quad, 4 HEX core and faster PowerEdge (dedicated servers) systems with fast hardware RAID devices and multiple large fast SCSII drives. They make the best NAS, especially over USB connected storage.
    I agree you can achieve perfectly fast enough access to all media for playback on the MINIX using NAS. I'm not arguing that point. But it is faster on large 4K video files, if the X-Drive (external drive) is connected direct. This is especially true if you have a very active server environment, that can slow a network throughput, which I do. It's different if there is one person using a home network. In my case there is a lot of streaming , downloading, serving, wide area business storage server and access, going on, on a daily basis.
  15. Frederick_99

OK, thanks..I guess most of us are using our minix's at home and are not connected to NASA :sneaky:
  16. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Funny, I am connected to NASA;) (JK). MINIX at home is my point. For home use, if a user is using their external drive more for movie/video storage, rather than other backups, or programs, then it is more beneficial to be hooked directly to the MINIX box, for a faster throughput. I noticed it most when I go to my movie collection. When I was using my NAS for storage, I would choose a 4K video. It would take a moment to load, then buffer then play. Sometimes a very large 4K would buffer. After hooking a 5tb external to my Minix box, the same file loaded and played instantly. And I never got any buffering or lag issues, no matter how big the file was. I know we are talking seconds, but I like speed.(y).
    I also like the fact of portability. Unplug the MINIX box and drive, and off to a friend's or bring with on vacation.
  17. Frederick_99

fair enough.....i'm not worried about a second or two to load, and once loaded i've never suffered from buffering from my NAS.
    i don't have any very large 4K files but all test files i've had which exceeded the buffer size set up in kodi have never buffered.

its down to choice, but if i want to use minix outside of normal home environment i just use a usb drive
  18. TimTay82

TimTay82 New Member

Hi there, I have the same kinda setup running. It's great that I can access my drive thru my minix. Could you explain a little more know how you access it remotely please? Would be great to access my drive while at work. Not sure how to access my home network remotly let alone a device on it. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
  19. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

@TimTay82, I have static IP addresses, which costs extra from your ISP. I have a commercial business account. My NEO X8H Plus is setup on my 192 internal network. Then I configured a DMZ in my router, so the box is visible via WAN. Each Internet router is similar but different, on how you setup a DMZ. So you will have to read your router's manual. I'm also not sure if Static IP addresses can be purchased if you have a residential account. You would have to check with your ISP.
  20. TimTay82

TimTay82 New Member

I'm maybe just asking a little much. I did wonder about a static ip. Tbh probably more hassle than its worth for me. Cheers for the info tho.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk