1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Official Release X5mini Kitkat 250 ( february 8th 2016 )

Discussion in 'NEO X5 mini Official Firmware Releases' started by gufone, Feb 8, 2016.

1. WhipCracker

WhipCracker New Member

Hey mate,

Have you tried on one device only or on all devices you own?

Have you tried with a replacement battery, just in case?
  2. nimish Shewaramani

nimish Shewaramani New Member

Hello Admin (HardwareGuru) request you to share the kitkat version firmware which is RTC supported. We have used Beta version of 4.4.2 in which date and time is being retain as it support the RTC. Only Problem in beta version is that it is not WiFi enable. So please provide us an OS (kitkat) which is having all options like WiFi ,Ethernet enable and should also support RTC.
  3. nimish Shewaramani

nimish Shewaramani New Member

Hello WhipCracker we have installed the Firmware in three different minix neox5 mini. In both date and time is not retaining the device in spite of the RTC battery installed. In beta version of kitkat OS date and time is retaining, but in beta version WiFi is not enabled. We can used device with WiFi option.

Answer to your second question of have we replacement battery?- No we havn't replace the battery in that three different minix NeoX5 mini.

Can we get an OS in which both wifi option and RTC is working properly?

Is lollipop OS available which can be installed in Minix neo X5 mini? We want to run HTML5 files in it and kitkat 4.4.2 OS don't support the HTML5 files. It would be nice if we get lollipop OS if available as we have more then 200 devices used for commercial purpose. Awaiting for your updates for existing issue being faced with current available solution.
  4. markman34

markman34 New Member

Hello guru,
    I'm downgrading this unit now. I have successfully replaced the bootloader to 4.2.2 now I'm searching for the 4.2.2 ROM. I thought I had it already but can't find it.
    Would you please direct me to the file I can use to complete my downgrade.
    thanks

Mark
  5. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

6. Advid

Advid New Member

Hello gurus and dudes,

I hope firmware is suitable/recommended for my Minix 5 Neo.
    I have the very the first version, no update but somewhat rooted to get French keyboard.

It's been a long time I've dived in it, a little help would be greatly appreciated.

1) I use a lot my Minix as an internet Access Point: is this feature still there in this new firmware?

2) I don't care of the local data on it, is there a straight forward way to erase it with new firmware for a clean install ? I don't have Windows, but Linux.

I'll check for the keyboard setting by myself later on.

Thanks !
  7. Advid

Advid New Member

Hi again,

No answer yet to my question above, but I'm not just bumping it:

I've been working quite hard to be able to flash this Minix Neo X5 on Linux (I no longer have MS Windows) and ... I think I'm in trouble:

sudo ./rkflashtool p
    rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v6.1
    rkflashtool: info: Detected RK3066...
    rkflashtool: info: interface claimed
    rkflashtool: info: reading parameters at offset 0x00000000
    rkflashtool: info: size: 0x0000025b
    FIRMWARE_VER:4.0.4
    MACHINE_MODEL:rk30sdk
    MACHINE_ID:007
    MANUFACTURER:RK30SDK
    MAGIC: 0x5041524B
    ATAG: 0x60000800
    MACHINE: 3066
    CHECK_MASK: 0x80
    KERNEL_IMG: 0x60408000
    #RECOVER_KEY: 1,1,0,20,0
    CMDLINE: console=ttyFIQ0 androidboot.console=ttyFIQ0 init=/init initrd=0x62000000,0x00800000 mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00002000@0x00002000(misc),0x00004000@0x00004000(kernel),0x00008000@0x00008000(boot),0x00008000@0x00010000(recovery),0x000C0000@0x00018000(backup),0x00040000@0x000D8000(cache),0x00800000@0x00118000(userdata),0x00002000@0x00918000(kpanic),0x00100000@0x0091A000(system),-@0x00A3A000(user)

So I decided to do as suggested in the readme of the tool (fool of me!!! :cry: )
    sudo ./rkflashtool w 0x10000 0x8000 < /tmp/x5-rk3066-250.img
    rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v6.1
    rkflashtool: info: Detected RK3066...
    rkflashtool: info: interface claimed
    rkflashtool: info: writing flash memory at offset 0x00017fe0... Done!

That was fast so I realized my mistake, this is not an image for a recovery partition!!! (I was tired, etc, please forgive)

So... now I'm afraid I may not be able to get back in recovery mode if I power off the Minix, right?

I need your help for those two points, hours of web seach have been unsuccessful:
    1. Any valid download link for a Minix Neo X5 recovery partition image ?
    2. In which partition shall I write the x5-rk3066-250.img that I got from this thread to flash my Minix that no longer boot ?
    For the 1. I try to keep the Minix powered as long as possible, until someone answer here, otherwise it will be bricked... (no boot and recovery just got destroyed by my mistake)
  8. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

You should be able to get into flashmode as you did not replace the bootloader.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G9287 met Tapatalk
  9. Advid

Advid New Member

Hum... it really does no longer boot. Minix logo, that's all. I started from that point.
    This is why I was looking for a full update/restore.
  10. HardwareGuru

That means you can connect through usb and flash a full firmware still.. dead is not even a minix logo. The bootloader is still there so you should be able to flash it over usb.

11. HardwareGuru

Run lsusb see the devices.. connect the otg cable from the minix to the pc. Hold recovery button while powering on.. then run lsusb again to see if you have one device more.. if so you can flash it.

12. Advid

Advid New Member

Thanks a lot for answering.

Well, the Minix is still powered, so I am still in recovery mode from the original image even if it's erased from internal flash memory. And I still can list partition and write image file to it, as shown above.

So, first I'd like to restore the recovery partition if there's some image available (I should have made a backup...), do you have a link to some? I couldn't find any for the recovery partition.

Actually I'm not sure what the recovery partition is exactly used for. Maybe I shouldn't worry and carry on the step of flashing the whole system.

But even for this step I did not find any precise procedure: which image file on which partition? (for the update of this thread, with the rkflashtool on Linux)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  13. HardwareGuru

You can not flash from recovery after wiping/corupting partition tables. You have to take your chances and pull the plug and flash the full image over usb.

14. Advid

Advid New Member

Partition table is fine, I just checked again with the rkflashtool on Linux.

I'd like to proceed to the flashing of the full image over usb, it was my primary objective.
    But I couldn't find the precise procedure (without using a Windows PC), or the right files.
    Could you point me to that?

BTW, since we've been almost chatting online here, I just let you know I'll get some sleep and be back in a few hours, thanks again for helping.
  15. HardwareGuru

sudo ./upgrade_tool uf /path/firmware.img

16. Advid

Advid New Member

Then I'll try to get this tool and the right .img somewhere...

No luck... the https://valentijn.sessink.nl/?p=517 has a link to upgrade_tool but it's 404 not found :(

The first post here suggest to use full OTA and to...
    Sorry, I must look dumb or something but I didn't found how to copy this to the internal flash.
    I must have missed some obvious information somewhere, overwhelmed by other pages.

Ooopss... this is the thread for X5 Mini and I have the X5... one more mistake I've made :oops:
  17. Advid

Advid New Member

18. HardwareGuru

Yes that is the correct img.. make sure you uf option on the upgrade_tool to flash a full image.

19. Advid

Advid New Member

It worked !

Thanks for helping.

Thanks to the team for making the firmware.

Thanks for the solution that resurrected the Minix with great new Applications !
  20. HardwareGuru