1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X6 006 firmware via MINIX FOTA (20150516)

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by MINIX - Ken, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Let us look into this, thanks.
  2. w3n_m1ng

w3n_m1ng New Member

My neo x6 arrive yesterday, this device using the newest firmware v006.
    The material quality of unit/ remote is good, stability is okay, but when opening app like youtube for tv, youtube mobile seems little slow compare to my moto g 1st edition (same antutu score 17k).
    I have installed popcorntime.se n popcorntime.io, the movie seems broken (glitch). At my phone popcorntime is very snappy.
    Speedtest.net via wifi/ethernet slower 10% than my phone.
    When opening some app at background like tunein and browsing in time, this box very long to respond.
    Google remote tv work flawlessly.
    Maybe the point is qualcomm is more powerfull and snappy than amlogic. So it will be supprise if minix nextime create qualcomm based android tv box.
    All of that feel under minix launcher, may be if i change to android launcher will be better/more speedy.
    Another time i will list app that ok or have problem with this device.
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. MINIX - Ken

X6 has only 1GB RAM, it works better with less tasks. :)
  4. w3n_m1ng

w3n_m1ng New Member

My moto g has 1GB ram also, but on multitasking is still snappy n faster than x6 :)
    Now i switch launcher to android, it faster response than minix launcher, can i uninstall minix launcher without bad effect? Can i install minix launcher back after i erase that?
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  5. bikerdays

bikerdays New Member

After last update minix x6 a little slower.
    Applications are slower loading and i think sound in some Apk when listening carefully as well as to reduce and strengthen again.
    Thanks for your support and sory for my bad english.
  6. Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith Member

@MINIX - Ken Hi Ken I hope you are well. Since the latest firmware update my X6 Systems are much slower to respond. More importantly some channels in the well known Filmon App can take up to 45 seconds to load? Mainly channel ITV1, all the ITV channels take a long time to load, but ITV1 takes the longest, I took another box out of stock which had the 004 firmware on and it worked fine. I conducted the next FOTA update to 005 (24mb file) and again it worked fine, I then conducted the latest update to 006 (500mb) and the problem arose. So the problem is definitely being caused by this firmware version. Is there anyway I can roll back the firmwares without flashing using the USB tool and losing all the data on my clients boxes (A huge recall and work involved)? If this is the only way, where can I download the 004 image? Thanks in advance. Regards Joseph Smith
  7. Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith Member

@MINIX - Ken @KAR @HardwareGuru @Higgs - Could someone confirm if I can role back this firmware? Is the only way to wipe clean by using the USB Tool to go all the way back to 002 firmware, then upgrade to 003 firmware using the USB Stick, and then FOTA to get to 005? Thanks in advance, Regards Joseph Smith
  8. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

you should be able to roll back to 003 using the OTA files on USB.. allthough this is not tested. ( i cant garuantee 100% it will be a stable downgrade )
  9. Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith Member

Thanks @HardwareGuru

I Tried this, but it starts the upgrade - Green bar gets about 25% of the way and then it reboots and comes backup with no firmware change. I tried about 5 times as I know sometimes the 006 firmwares sometimes need to a second try... Guess I will have to wipe clean and load 002 :-(
  10. MINIX - Ken

to roll back to older firmware you must use the image to flash, OTA package doesn't support going backwards (downgrading).
  11. MINIX - Ken

I think it's better to let us find out.
    HardwareGuru likes this.
  12. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Can you post the app here please so we are sure we have the same apps to test?
  13. mua dib

mua dib New Member

Why in system update with minix fota we dont have choice which update to install??
    I see that many people have problem with 006 update I am on 003 and I want to upgrade to 005 but fota offers only latest update that have problem with slowing down device.
  14. MINIX - Ken

many? where did you see that?
  15. mua dib

mua dib New Member

Here.
    I only see that people says that 006 update make device much slower. I would like to avoid this problem.
  16. MINIX - Ken

Let's don't draw conclusion because there are 1-2 reports here.
    These are not conclusive evidence, and surely it's not "many".
    We shall look into that tomorrow.
  17. Anatoly_T

Anatoly_T New Member

Hi, the device perform much slower after upgrade to 006, will it be fixed any time soon? I'm
    I only posting because of "there was only two reports" phrase. So it will be 3 now. I am sure there a lot of people like me, who experience this performance degradation since last update, and just didn't post it here because someone else already did.
  18. w3n_m1ng

w3n_m1ng New Member

Did you use minix launcher or android launcher? I use android launcher for faster experience. And also uninstall/disable built in apps that didn't use.
  19. Anatoly_T

Anatoly_T New Member

I used built-in android launcher(not metro), but I tried also nova launcher id didn't help much. I don't think it is an application problem because i don't see any processor or memory consuming application in process list, i mean nothing unusual there. It all worked better with before upgrade
  20. MINIX - Ken

Checked today,

Performance - slightly increased, not decreased, than last firmware, Antutu ~ 18,xxx
    RAM - more free RAM than last firmware, not less
    CPU loading and usage - normal

LiveNow !tv app, latest version from Play Store - normal
    filmon tv app, latest version from Play Store - slower than LiveNow !tv app to load

both apps are more or less the same,
    if it's a firmware issue then both apps should have the same problem.

In conclusion, I don't think it's a firmware issue.

For those saying it's "slow", are you having self-adaptive refresh rate switching ON?
    It feels slow when playing some videos at 24Hz.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.