1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

X6 008 firmware via MINIX FOTA (20150923)

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by MINIX - Ken, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Andy 4

Andy 4 New Member

I take your point my friend that two years down the line there are some great new boxes out there which put the X6 in the shade for speed. But here's the thing. The little X6 was released alongside a raft of S805 based boxes, and it is true that other manufacturers boxes are also unlikely to ever work with future Kodi builds as they too will be stuck on an old version of Android. So why should customers expect any better from Minix ? Well, it comes down to the heavy premium that we pay to buy into the promise of a better experience with them. Many customers will have bought their Minix X6 within the last two years and at much greater expense than competing boxes with similar levels of functionality. For those that run Kodi the X6 is now left to become a well built paper weight, simply because it seems that Minix don't believe a premium experience should include keeping the software platform up to date.

The sad fact is that the X6 has not had a single major software update, despite the arrival of a newer Android build soon after its general release. Just bug fixes and a few small feature additions. The forum administrator Ken mentioned some type of update was in the works, but gave us not a hint of what might be in it. That was six months ago and since then we've heard nothing. I think it is only fair to ask if someone at Minix could explain why on earth customers who use Kodi should make their next purchase another premium box from Minix ?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. dryster

dryster Active Member

Good reply Andy, and all I can say is that in my experiences with Android tablets and TV boxes over the last six or so years that support ranges from zero to hero, and Minix support does appear to be at the higher level. In some respects though, the good guys hands are tied by the rapid evolution of the Android operating system requirements and Google's race to Zero or Z and whatever that variant will be called and in addition, whatever system requirements (or restrictions) are defined by the new Kodi build.

I was surfing the web yesterday, downloaded a couple of "prospects" that would be firmware attempts if my Q-Box ever went squirrelly, which if my experience with all those ten or more tablets and boxes is evidence, it will. The problem there is that the Q-Box, or B-Box in all it's diversity and slight variances is a crap shoot when it comes to firmware or recovery, the Minix is not.

It is a sad fact about technology, but it keeps us all engaged in something other than watching media, my noisy yet high end for the time HTPC I built in 2003 for almost three grand has long been buried in the salvage heap, and all those old tablets from Cupcake to Honeycomb have probably been ground down into doormats by now. I picked up a little bargain C$20 MyGica stick recently running 4.0.4 and it was a painful experience and not really a bargain, a $30 MyGica A520E running Jelly Bean that still has a little life in it, and more recently the C$80 Q-Box, and the C$95 Minix Neo X6. It is sad about Technology for sure, but I notice that the Minix units keep their value on the used market, and perhaps it's just time to trade up.
  3. Andy 4

Andy 4 New Member

You are of course quite correct. I suppose it is perhaps childish to complain too much about the value offered by a product which does ultimately pay for itself compared to say, the cost of a subscription TV service. Maybe I've just been spoilt by the kind of product lives afforded to popular android handsets, which can last for years with the help of community firmware projects. I hear what you're saying about the problems with many cheap boxes from china, and the need to be wary of wasting money in the hope of saving it. It is a good point but still, I can't say I'd rush to buy another Minix box without first having a strong look elsewhere. I do wish them all the best anyway.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. dryster

dryster Active Member

I'd say so, I have over four years now without a cable subscription and many iterations of boxes tried and tested with varying degrees of happiness, I'm really not sure if Minix is the best box on the market, or worth the premium price but I'll give it a go for a while. I think my i3 NUC is three years old now, and originally cost $300 to put together, and it does everything under windows 8.1 but Microsoft irritate me and they're working to own everything about us, a little like what Google and Apple are up to. The Android OS on a tablet or a TV box is equally irritating, because artifacts of the dominant device, the phone, are always present and even Minix have not stripped those elements out of their custom OS for their TV boxes. I don't think it's childish to complain about the value of any product, because on the flip side, we can see mass produced S905 boxes for thirty bucks being dumped into the market touting Kodi 17, which for what it's worth is the only thing that is selling garbage to millions of people. Like I said, my Q-Box appears to be running well, and that's what the generics do, they run well and then they fall off the cliff one day for no reason whatsoever.
  5. cyran0

cyran0 New Member

Sorry, I don't mean to be pushy but (humm, yes I do) to make sure the Minix staff did not miss it. I posted in the main X6 forum an issue which I think is a major X6 flaw (software I hope, not hardware). I reported in details the problem in my other post and it seems to be related to the process:

irq/110-sdhc​

From my observations, the overall operation of the X6 suffer from that problem, not only KODI.

If Minix won't supply us with an Android upgrade, fine, I can live with that. If I really need to fix a KODI bug, I might just work it out myself!

But please, fix the playback glitches reported in the main forum. Again, you (Minix) promised us at least one more update.

Minix, we need to know what are your plans for the X6, now please.

Cheers to all X6 owners
  6. Trythis1

Trythis1 New Member

wow i just bought 3 of these at the store black friday for 100.00 Canadian and they are paper weights already
    love how the minix boxes run have built 100+ Kodi boxes over the last few year but why am i paying 100-150 a box for 1-2 years when i can
    buy a cheap china box for 20-30 and toss it every year ????
    ps i have 5 minix boxes in my house ... keep up or lose my money
    Upgrading to the Latest Version of Kodi is Now Necessary (17.1 Krypton)
    More and more streaming sites are moving to HTTPS, and older versions of Kodi do not offer HTTPS support
  7. dryster

dryster Active Member

Actually, it's already been discussed here on the old forums about older versions of Kodi that have been modified to support SSL, plus, isn't Black Friday in November?
  8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

A member for two years and that's what you write in your first post? o_O Strange! :confused:
    It was your choice to spend your money on whatever and wherever you want!
    Menorca Man likes this.
  9. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

It's called Research/Homework....No one to blame but yourself :whistle:
  10. owen420

owen420 New Member

the box is several years old now, I got mine back in 2013 so I don't really expect much if you just bought some like they were a new product somebody seen you coming.... I would however like to be able to update kodi to v17 but because there is no lollipop for this box that won't be happening and I imagine the reason is due to the low ammount of ram the box has (1GB) I have tried other 1gb android boxes running lollipop or marshmallow and they crash constantly not having enough ram... 2GB seems to be the minimum required, it just sucks that kodi never put SSL support in till v17 like its 2017 I suppose somebody will patch it maybe SPMC.
  11. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

You could try FTMC
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/general-tv-player-dicussions/xbmc-talk/575588-ftmc
  12. cyran0

cyran0 New Member

@Villa
    FTMC! I was not aware of that build, thx. I'm gonna give it a try!

@owen420
    I'm testing a 1GB RAM box with Andoid 5.1.1 and running it out of the box (no optimizations) flawlessly so the 1Gb size is not an issue. KODI wise.

IMHO, the X6 supporting H.265, I would not call it old or obsolete ?!

But, it is obvious that the X6 needs a firmware upgrade of some kind, any kind, for the current problems (at least for the one I mentionned earlier).

Cheers