1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Custom Kernel X8(H) reboot fix ( temporary solution )

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by HardwareGuru, Sep 3, 2014.

1. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Hello guys,

This is a test patch for people having reboots as a temporary solution:
    Reboot fix Download: http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_Stock-buffer.zip
    Dont flash this on beta9 and up.

This has Stock kernel and tcp-ip buffers set.
    You can flash it on top of every beta.
    Note that some new kernel features will be lost.
    As i sayed, it is a temporary solution.

How to flash: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

Please let me know if it works, thanks!

Have fun
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    BaNdit400 likes this.
  2. HardwareGuru

3. zeevg

zeevg Active Member

@HardwareGuru Hi

Do you think people who used the temporary fix (stock kernel... ) on top of beta008, will get the OTA ?

thanks
  4. HardwareGuru

Yes ota will work on all my 8x releases and patches
  5. HiMaNeN

HiMaNeN Member

You little dutch devil =)

I love to try new stuff so i grabbed this as soon as i come home from work and Flashed 008 (your zip version) and flashed the rebootfix before rebooted.
    and ive been using the Minix now for 30-45 minutes without any reboots and bare in mind that i used to have them like every 5 minutes sometimes even durring the logo in the bootup sequence.

Ive tried so far with the reboot fix.

Browser (stock) - Used to hang a lot before on 008.
    Netflix (ver 3.7.2) - The one mentioned in http://minix.com.hk/downfile/Netflix_com.netflix.mediaclient_3.7.2.apk - Just to make my box reboot alot on 008
    XBMC (20140831_xbmcapp-stane) - Exiting app works fine now - my box alwaysd reboot in playing movie on 008 and on exiting with 007 and using the Minix Xbmc 13.03.

So far 0 freezez or reboots

And i have these plugged in:
    Xbox 360 controller

Plexgear mediatrack go Keyboard
    SDcard 8gb
    32gb Usbmemory.

6. I expect that Minix guys can officially confirm now that there is an interference between M1 and USB keyboard/mouse?
    And the kind of fix will be included in the next beta firmware?
  7. Which new features do you mean? Any more detail on what exactly has been changed?
  8. zeevg

zeevg Active Member

@HiMaNeN hi, i used to have tons of restarts/reboots and i used the method of flashing the old stable kernel to solve them.

I just flashed beta008 without the old kernel method, with the Amlogic pc tool and everything is good and no restarts....incase you flashed the betas without the tool, maybe you give it a try, this way you will not lose the changes made
  9. HiMaNeN

HiMaNeN Member

Ive tried both metods! But this time i used HardwareGurus 2.5 Beta 008 with full wipe.
  10. HardwareGuru

We suspect this but still have to he confirmed with debugging to see why/when it happens.
    minix knows this issue and is working on it.
  11. HiMaNeN

HiMaNeN Member

Now when you guys are mention it i dont have my M1 plugge in anymore
  12. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

WOW! thank you HardwareGuru, I used finless patch (thanks Bob) and that resolved my reboots however I still had intermittent freezes. This was a real pain when using Reicast emulator (My purpose for buying the x8). Now I have no more freezes very happy.

Thank you.
  13. Irken Skoodge

Irken Skoodge New Member

Thanks for the Reboot fix, I'm going to try it on my device and hopefully it gets rid of the random reboots.
  14. BaNdit400

BaNdit400 New Member

In this moment my Neo X8-H has 3 days of uptime and has not suffered any spontaneous rebooting.

Thanks HardwareGuru for your work, i like it! (y)
  15. porcodrillo

porcodrillo New Member

Hi @HardwareGuru
    Thanks for the Reboot fix,
    I had problems restarting, and thanks to your patch it seems that there are more problems

Now I have the Build Number: KOT49H.20140722 test-keys with your patch and after a full day I have not had problems rebooting

Thank you very much
  16. cachirro

cachirro New Member

great news to see that i'm not alone on constant reboots, i can't watch xmbc for more then 30m to and 1h, so i will definitely test this patch. Thanks.
  17. zoidberg

zoidberg New Member

Thank you for the fix, I had XBMC restart every 30m and now everything is fine!

I have the following connected to my USB ports:

M1
    logitech K400r keyboard/trackpad combo
    logitech rumblepad 2

EDIT: the logitech rumblepad 2 is not recognized anymore :( it seems to fix the restarts, but I lost the gamepad :/

EDIT2: I removed the fix ( uploaded the beta8 firmware again ) disconnected the M1 and it is stable. I believe that the problem is related to the M1 somehow, and got the gamepad back
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  18. Glenn S

Glenn S New Member

Thank you! I was having the same issue. I came here because I remembered the kernel fix. Then I saw your post and removed my M1 and now it's all better! :)
  19. cachirro

cachirro New Member

i confirm that the fix works. Thank you.
  20. darn dee

darn dee New Member

Hi guys, my minix didn't load after I installed this reboot fix according to OP said. The screen just blank. I tried to reset the minix by plug off and on the power cord again but still blank the same. Any idea? Should I do a factory reset? my minix is on stock Beta009-2