1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official firmware 009 (20160324)

Discussion in 'X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official Firmware 009' started by MINIX - Ken, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Ok about of an update on my update problem. I've got an older Windows 7 laptop & so far it seems to be working. This time the burning tool programme has located the img file that the other Windows 10 laptop couldn't see!

2. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Ok further update on the update, it worked!
    Must have been the windows 10 laptop for some reason, thanks for the help.

Villa likes this.
  3. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Very strange!!! :confused:

Andy Wilson likes this.
  4. Rodger07

Rodger07 New Member

I'm trying to update my firmware - I followed all the steps and when I press Start, it starts to download and once at 5%, it stops, waits and then I get this first error messages - then it stops - I I press refresh, it gives me the second.
    What could it be?

upload_2017-2-12_17-45-21.png

5. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Firstly, have you checked whether the MD5 checksum of your downloaded .img file matches the one shown in Post #1? If not, I recommend you re-download the .img file using a download manager and then endure that the MD5 checksum is correct.

6. Rodger07

Rodger07 New Member

Thank you for your response - I was able to find a member that had the same issue and same error messages - it seems the the .img was wrong for the Minix X8-H-Plus - I needed the X8H_PLUS_FW010_20160829.rar
    I downloaded it and followed all the same steps and it worked fine :)

Menorca Man likes this.
  7. Menorca Man

Oops! you're not the first to make this mistake and doubt that you will be the last!! ;) Anyway, glad you managed to sort it. (y)

8. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Just an FYI - The checksum is for the .rar file. The fact that the image has been extracted would conclude that the .rar file was not corrupt anyway!

Menorca Man likes this.
  9. Menorca Man

You're right of course. :notworthy: Guess I wasn't thinking straight!! :oops:

10. robbie2k

robbie2k New Member

I updated for first time my X8-H after more than 1 and 1/2 year owning it (I really use it rarely), but surprise! this firmware is still KitKat based??? Seriously???? :eek::eek::eek::eek: I was expecting AT LEAST Lollipop 5.1 it's the MINIMUM to avoid the shame, but still with KitKat is something that put Minix at the same level of the cheapest (and baddest) chinese productors :confused::confused::mad: , practically this model was dead the same time that was released! and without any new firmware for more than one year I think that Minix have abandoned finally this model to KitKat (really scandalous).
    So my first impression about Minix was wrong and I will now put a black flag on this brand: No more Minix in the life!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  11. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

12. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

You are just looking to update it after a 1- 1/2, pretty good I'd say ... I believe the X8-H is just shy of 3 years old now. At the rate things are changing, who could of been looking and planned for three years out :rolleyes: Where is the Scandal ! o_O

13. robbie2k

robbie2k New Member

The scandal is that you never updated it! every google device should be updated AT LEAST for 18-24 months, it means 2 mayor updates or AT LEAST ONE mayor update.
    The X8-H is born with KitKat, and will die with KitKat! this is a scandal, a real shame, because with a device with a good hardware I CAN'T USE kodi because it needs at least Lollipop, but in general the device with KitKat is simply OBSOLETE.

And note that I'm not pretending Marshmallow or Nougat, but AT LEAST Lollipop, released in November 2014, 16 months before you last firmware update, so you simply wasn't having any intention to update this device to Lollipop, this is a sick sell policy, "no updates for the sold devices so we can sell new device".

You should take Xiaomi (or Meizu too) like an example of a constructor.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    kibuk56 likes this.
  14. Menorca Man

Groan!! :rolleyes: Not only haven't you updated your X8H for the past one and a half years but it seems to me that you also haven't bothered to update yourself via the many Forum posts on this subject!! If you had, you would have realised that the problem lies with the chip manufacturer AMlogic not releasing a SDK for their chips contained in the X8, X8 Plus and X8-H series. Clearly, this is outside the control of Minix and therefore I respectfully suggest that you might want to redirect your comments (rant?) to AMlogic rather than Minix. That would be far more useful!!

dryster and Villa like this.
  15. robbie2k

robbie2k New Member

I was ABSOLUTELY right not updating my X8-H, if I was knowing that also the last firmware is based on KitKat I was keeping the first firmware received with the device, I only updated it hoping to use KODI, and I was almost sure that after so many time the device was updated AT LEAST to Lollipop.

I was reading about the discharge of responsibility, and ok, Amlogic is not giving the SDK to develop a Lollipop version, but... WHO CHOOSEN THE CHIPMAKER FOR THIS DEVICE? if I am a good constructor, when I choose a chipmaker I will take some warranties from them, to ensure that I can give AT LEAST ONE MAYOR RELEASE to my customers.

So is not a fair thing to discharge all the responsibility onto Amlogic, because I bought a MINIX product, not an AMLOGIC product, and so I can't complain Amlogic for this, it's enough clear I think.

aidinmak, georgica81 and kibuk56 like this.
  16. aidinmak

aidinmak New Member

Hi, I am currently on FW002 firmware and do have the option to update to FW009 using OTA. The thing is I am kinda short on internet data and it takes 3.5-4 Gb to reach to the latest firmware as each firmware needs to be downloaded sequentially. Now I am just wondering if there is any way to download the FW009 firmware as an standalone zip file on PC and then update the device manually using USB drive loaded with this zip file so I could save some date!BTW I have Minix X8-H. Thanks in advance

17. aidinmak

aidinmak New Member

Anybody?

18. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

The instructions for this are given in the first post;

aidinmak likes this.
  19. exitguy

exitguy Member

The Zip file is 546Mb - I always download and keep a copy, even though I do the update via OTA

aidinmak likes this.
  20. aidinmak

aidinmak New Member

Thanks Higgs and exitguy for the prompt reply.
    I did exactly what is stated as instruction but once device comes up to recovery mode where you need to select "apply update from EXT" I come across a weird issue! I only can move up and down using the remote that came in the box. The Ok function doesn`t seem to be working for some reasons so can`t select to apply update from EXT. Has anybody has heard of such issue? Any workaround? I bought one of those bluetooth QWERTY keyboards separately but that won`t work either!