1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Youtube TV can't turn on location

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Steve Murphy, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy New Member

I just learned of Youtube TV and thought I'd check it out on my new U9. Downloaded just fine. Started it up and it states:

"Help us find you. To continue, make your device discoverable by turning on Location."

I click "Next"

A popup appears, "To continue, let your device turn on location, which uses Google's location service."

I click "Ok"

Goes back to the start and this loops continues indefinitely.

I go into settings and Location is on, set to WIFI only (o GPS) and everything looks normal. So what's going on here? Is this yet another instance of the U9 having issues? Can't imagine it's Youtube TV as there's thousands of happy users using it - I'm just not one of them. I sure would like to be, though.
  2. Austin Lankford

Austin Lankford New Member

I am having this same problem. I bought this to use youtube TV on and am not able to use it. The device needs to convey a location or faux location data to the youtube app so that it will work. Please let me know a work around asap.
  3. Sawbones

Sawbones New Member

I have it working in Australia using iTroll with fake GPS and wifi set to San Francisco. I don't even use a VPN :)
  4. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy New Member

So this is because Youtube/Google is so narrow minded that they assume you'll only watch Youtube TV on a phone/tablet with GPS? Dear god this is getting old. I thought Location would use something other than GPS if the device didn't include it - WIFI for instance.

Thanks! Going to give this a try tonight.
  5. Sawbones

Sawbones New Member

Well I don't know - I am always geoblocked :)
    But I do know that if I just install a fake GPS app then it won't work (it will on my phone, which has GPS). If I install iTroll which fakes both the GPS and Wifi location then it works
  6. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Yes, localization use your external IP Address (Wan).
  7. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy New Member

Well, iTroll doesn't work for me either. Location is turned on. I have tried everything. I think I'm done with Minix at this point. With Netflix not supported, scrolling issues in the browser, and now Youtube Live also not working, it's difficult to justify the higher cost of the minix boxes. I had such high hopes.