1. Official MINIX forum -Forum was offline for maintainance during last weekend and is back online now.

FAQ Z83-4 black screen [virtual extended display]

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Guides & FAQs' started by amitosh10, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

I'm moving this thread to the FAQ section.
  2. MAS1

MAS1 Member

I just turned all the power saving off, no sleep mode , never turn monitor off etc etc but this sounds better. Thanks
  3. MINIX - Ken

This fix works on multiple platforms, and on other branded products too. :whistle:
    MAS1 likes this.
  4. jsierens

jsierens New Member

Hi Ken,

I tried the fix, but I still have problems waking up the Z83-4.

It seems to depend on the time between the Z83-4 was left unattended. If it is a short period it works OK. For a longer period it doesn't want to wake up. I tried the trick disconnecting the HDMI cable. That doesn't work.

Does the Z83-4 have different levels of sleep? I noticed that first the screen goes black. Then after some time the numlock and function light on my keyboard are turned off, but it can still wake up by a key press. After a longer time there is no means to wake it up; not by the keyboard, not by the button on the Z83-4 and not by disconnecting or reconnecting the HDMI cable. The power led is on and green and also the leds on the Ethernet port are on.

Best regards,
    Jan
  5. MINIX - Ken

Is your BIOS updated to V1.4?
    This fix has been verified by Intel and there is no better fix until they release a new driver for these platforms.
    Personally I don't experience the issue you mentioned, with everything most updated (Windows, graphics drivers, BIOS, etc...), nor I can see other reports of the same kind on this board.
  6. jsierens

jsierens New Member

Yes, I did update my BIOS to V1.4. That doesn't seem to make a difference.
    The Intel Graphics HD driver was version 20.19.15.4380. I'm updating the driver now.
  7. Chip Louie

Chip Louie New Member

Hi Ken,

If I install the Virtual Display Enable Disable patch will it prevent me from running Windows Remote Desktop on the MINIX PC? I bought the MINIX PC to use as a local PC running a robotic mount with a couple of telescopes on it capturing image data. I access the MINIX PC system over the network using Wi-Fi from a remote location. Thanks!

Chip

BTW: firmware has been updated to 1.4
  8. jsierens

jsierens New Member

I still the same problem after the updates. Only disabling sleep mode prevents it from freezing.
  9. MINIX - Ken

Yes! If you need remote (virtual) desktop you can't use this patch!
  10. MINIX - Ken

What is your current graphics driver?
  11. RudyB

RudyB New Member

Dear Ken, it's great to see how you actively help out users here on the forum.

I bought a brand new z83-4 two days ago. I'm sorry to say I experience these same troubles with a black screen after wake up from Minix sleep, also even when I try to wake from only monitor sleep but with the Minix still on.

My monitor is an HP2710m.

Bios version as stated in Windows info screen: 150 (seems like it's even newer than the 140 version mentioned in this thread?). Graphics driver is 4380.

Newbie question: how can I enter the bios?

I ran the .bat file provided in this thread to update the registry, that did not help.

It makes no difference if I enter sleep mode via the Minix power button (which in Windows is set to enter sleep mode) or via the windows start power menu, or via the power plan settings which is set to go to sleep after 5 minutes.

By the way ... what color should the led have in sleep mode? Mine stays blue, or sometimes alternates / flickers between green and blue. The unit also stays warmer than I'd expect for sleep mode. Also all USB ports stay powered, even though in windows settings I said to turn them off and also disabled 'enable to wake up' for mouse and keyboard.

A further experiment was to change the power settings to turn off the monitor after 3 minutes but never to enter sleep mode. The result is that the power led also starts to flicker between blue and green and the monitor still comes up black. It looks as if the 'monitor off' state is similar to 'sleep' state?

I hope there is a solution. The Minix is used as a PC for frequent checking email and internet multiple times a day, sleep mode is essential not to have to go thru a complete power off / on cycle every time.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017