1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Z83-4 Internal disk upgrade?

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by doctorkb, Dec 30, 2016.

1. doctorkb

doctorkb New Member

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Z83-4 and am wondering if the internal disk can be swapped out, or if it is soldered to the mainboard?

Thanks!

2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

Do it by a TF card, up to 256GB.

3. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

4. doctorkb

doctorkb New Member

Yes, I know I can add additional drives, by TF card or by USB. That isn't what I was asking.

I'd like to have a primary Windows drive that is at least 64gb.

Can the internal drive be swapped out, or is it soldered on?

5. hahnweiler

hahnweiler New Member

6. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Z83-4 No
    NGC-1 Yes

7. Banditen-Sweden

Banditen-Sweden Active Member Beta Tester

Is it possible to connect a ssd 250-500Gb to the Z83-4 and then use a cloning kit so the new big ssd disk acts like C:? Best regards Banditen.

8. klapa

klapa Member

I have never tried that but see no reason why it might not work.

I have booted from a Linux Mint DVD drive on the USB bus through the boot menu and that worked fine. This was a DVD made from an ISO image modified with the utility available from Linuxium discussed elsewhere on this and other sites.

Not sure if this could be setup as a permanent source that did not require the boot menu each time. Should be able to check the BIOS boot device list to tell.

9. SAGB

SAGB Member

Is there a 64GB chip SSD that would fit the same footprint as the 32GB SSD that could be soldered in its place? Are replacement 32GB chips available? Also, how long do you expect the soldered on SSD to last? Microsoft keeps messing up my Windows installs with their failed updates, and I had to re-install Windows again (spent hours with their tech support, they couldn't figure it out so they told me to wipe it out and re-install again).

10. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

It's not possible to replace/change the 32GB eMMC that is fixed to MINIX NEO Z83-4.

It's possible to install the latest Windows 10 updates on NEO Z83-4.

If you're having difficulties you may manually install our latest Windows 10 OS image [if you send me a direct private message I can provide instructions].

11. SAGB

SAGB Member

I was asking, because from experience with my other computers, the hard drive always seems to be the first thing to go bad. I went through 4 or 5 hard drives in one machine. It would have been nice for the chip to be socketed so that it could be replaced in case of failure.

12. MINIX - John

The best option is to connect either an external HDD or micro SD card to MINIX NEO Z83-4.

MINIX NEO Z83-4 supports micro SD cards up to 256GB capacity, we tested using a Samsung EVO 256GB micro SD card.

13. SAGB

SAGB Member

That is definitely a decent size for storage. Out of curiosity, can a micro SD card be set up as the boot drive if their is an SSD failure?

14. MINIX - John

No. Under normal usage there should be no eMMC storage failure.

15. Nele Assi

Nele Assi New Member

Hello,
    32 GB as Windows 10 partition is a bit short.
    I bought a 64 GB USB3.0 stick and cloned the internal memory using WinToUSB.
    I am using a Sandisk Cruzer Ultra Fit USB stick because it is very small and very fast (if you put it in the USB 3.0 port).
    If I want to play around with different installations or multiple Minix PCs it is now an easy task.

MINIX - John likes this.
  16. MrReis

MrReis New Member

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean you can boot Windows from the USB drive? Or do you mean after booting from the "internal memory" you can run Windows from the USB drive? Or do you mean something else?

17. MINIX - John

It's not possible to boot Windows 10 OS from a USB memory stick on NEO Z83-4.
    The Windows 10 OS can only be booted from the internal C: drive.

18. MrReis

MrReis New Member

OK. Nele Assi doesn't mean it's possible to boot the NEO Z83-4 from a USB drive. But what does Nele mean? I don't understand what he does means.

19. zepp

zepp New Member

Is it possible to increase the internal storage capacity of the machine to say a ssd and if so what type would you use?

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

20. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

No!

zepp likes this.