1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Z83 Black Screen won't boot up

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by Motoarzan, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Motoarzan

Motoarzan New Member

Today My Z83 seems to have stopped working. When I went to turn it on today...nothing!
    When I power it on the green LED light comes on but doesn't seem to boot up, just black screen, no minix logo, nothing.
    Tried pressing the rest button with a pin for 5sec. Nothing, green light stays solid green.
    - The windows 10 fast boot feature has always been disabled.
    - Any kind of sleep mode features have always been set to disabled.
    - Tried unplugging and plug back in the HDMI cable.
    - Tried unplugging power cord.
    - Tried holding power button for 10sec.
    Nothing, Any thoughts to help solve this.
    Thanks

2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

Tried pressing the rest button with a pin for 5sec. Nothing, green light stays solid green.

Did you do that without power connected?

3. MINIX - Ken

I sent a message to you about the contact support info.

4. Motoarzan

Motoarzan New Member

Yes, I tried the reset both with power plugged in and unplugged....nothing.
    I got your PM and emailed for further support.

5. FGendron

FGendron New Member

Same problem here... Have you found a solution?

6. Motoarzan

Motoarzan New Member

Yes, they sent me a private message to contact someone else at Minix. That person authorized a return/replacement. The process wasn't too bad. They basically email you a prepaid UPS shipping label to return your dead unit and they ship you a brand new unit.
    Some notes:
    1. The dead unit ships all the way back to the opposite side of the planet in China, and the new unit comes from the opposite side of the planet (China)...not really complaining because all the shipping costs are covered...but certainly an environmental impact (I would have thought Minix had a North American service/distribution center setup by now to handle this kind of thing). I imagine after UPS fees, customs ect... for 2 units shipping each way, they've probably lost money on this unit sale.
    2. They assured me the system would be wiped so I'm crossing my fingers on this one. My windows login is password protected anyway in case they even got it to power up again and pretty much everything was installed on an external hard drive, not the internal 32GB drive.
    3. Shipping for the new unit took 4 business days, UPS. Fast and very pleased with this!

My only concern now is long term reliability. I have a Minix Neo X8-H Android and it's been fine for almost 3 yrs now. Not sure the reliability of the windows based machines.

7. FGendron

FGendron New Member

Thank's for your reply Motoarzan,
    I have seen on another thread that this problem seems related to BIOS v1.3 and has been fixed in BIOS v1.4 (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-z83-4-doesnt-turn-on-again.14522/)
    I ordered 8 x z83-4 (Windows 10) Minix. The first one I configured was working fine for a couple of days, but showed the same problem than yours (just faint green LED at power up, no boot, black screen, not fixed by reset with no power) after I moved it to the office...
    I updated BIOS to 1.4 on initial configuration (Win 10 FastBoot was already disabled) on all the 7 others. I hope that it will prevent this problem from showing in future...
    I have been using Minix Z64 (Windows) at the office (a lot of them) and never had long term reliability problems!
    Who should I contact to have my dead Z83-4 replaced?

8. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Contact @MINIX - John, he will advise you!

9. FGendron

FGendron New Member

10. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

11. MINIX - Ken

12. FGendron

FGendron New Member

Thank you Ken for your help!

13. pedro33

pedro33 New Member

My Z83 seems to have the same problem ... some help ?

14. MINIX - Ken

What problem exactly are you having?

15. pedro33

pedro33 New Member

Same problem than Motoarzan.
    "When I power it on the green LED light comes on but doesn't seem to boot up, just black screen, no minix logo, nothing.
    Tried pressing the rest button with a pin for 5sec. Nothing, green light stays solid green."
    I can't do anything !

Mario Lemoine likes this.
  16. MINIX - Ken

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/power-led-green-instead-of-blue.15072/page-3
    You may need to return it to your seller if you can't or don't want to do that.
    Please kindly understand.

17. pedro33

pedro33 New Member

Thank you Ken, I try and I let you know.

18. pedro33

pedro33 New Member

Fine, it's ok. Z83 boot normally, update to V1.4 ok.
    Thanks .

19. B_varela

B_varela New Member

HI @ken!!!
    i got the black screen problem to and i already try all this options
    - Unplug the POWER and HDMI CABLE ( with the power or off)
    - Reset with a pin for 5 to 1 seconds ( with the power or off)
    what should i do ???

20. helixdpr

helixdpr New Member

This is the description of my Z83-4 to a tee. It totally won't work. Best little TV box I've ever owned, but does me no good as a brick.
    I don't know how to send John a private message as was recommended above by "Villa". Besides, his profile link says he hasn't been around since July 7. Is he still with the MINIX organization?

I keep it in a fan-ventilated cabinet that the TV sits on. I noticed that the unit was quite warm when it first went out. It actually happened while I was surfing the web. It just stopped. I tried to reboot it, but it just doesn't work anymore. I've tried all the usual fixes, including all the above in Motoarzan's post. It was like deja vu when I first read it. So, what now?